Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 AM

41 posts, read 79,167 times

Advertisements

Going to have 4 hours in Rochester this weekend to do a driving tour.

We're entertaining the idea of moving here and need places to see to get a feel for the place.

Staying with friends in Webster so that's our starting/ending point. Need a few neighborhoods in the 40-75K family income range, shopping centers, schools etc.

We aren't looking for anything touristy, just actual day to day living places.

I will be referencing a map/gps for these neighborhoods so please provide a reference point such as a highway exit or cross streets where possible.

Ideas greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:56 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,622,747 times
The neighborhoods you just described is literally any neighborhood in suburban Rochester save for the wealthier sections of Brighton and the P-Towns. Anything else specific you are looking for? Transplants to Rochester pretty much always get directed to "the P-towns" because of their top ranked schools and relative "newness" that make it easier for someone not from this area to fit in. However nothing is really "one size fits all". Are you interested in having a walkable village-type area nearby? Do you have school aged kids? Would you like to live near the water? Like I said your only given criteria of a middle-income neighborhood describes probably 80% of the neighborhoods in the Rochester area.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM

41 posts, read 79,167 times
All valid points, thank you!

Son is 14 months so schools are a must eventually. We want property, not too close to any neighbors and nothing cookie cutter. A fixer upper is fine.

Can you talk about p-towns a bit?

Near the water could be lovely.

This is a really quick trip so we need to be strategic

Thank you!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Mvl

102 posts, read 146,890 times
Pittsford, Perinton (includes the village of Fairport. When ppl say they "live in Fpt", in truth, most live in the town of a Perinton) and Penfield. All very community centered towns, esp Perinton and Pittsford due to their village centers. Both have easy access to the Erie Canal path which is great for running, biking, strolling, etc. All these towns, and Brighton, have wonderful schools. To generalize when someone says...
Pittsford....educated executives, excellent schools (2 high schools), beautiful older village homes plus newer $ expensive subdivisions.
Brighton...nationally ranked schools, very diverse, home to a lot of Drs due to proximity of Strong and U of R, nothing cookie cutter as it is mostly older, but very well kept village type homes.
Penfield....not a village feel to it per se. Good schools, mix of older homes, newer subdivisions too.
Perinton, Fairport.....big sense of community pride, ask realtor to show u the town rec ctr, great village, canal goes rt thru it, sports centric, mix of older village homes, lots of 60-70s subdivisions and newer subs.
Can't go wrong w any of these.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:20 PM

So, mbee, did you end up taking your home-search tour? What areas did you see...what did you like/dislike?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,886,981 times
Seeing as how you want a good sized lot (sounds like at least a half acre if not closer to an acre or more?), you're going to be hard pressed to find anything on the east side (P-towns, Webster, Brighton, Irondequoit, Fairport, Macedon, Mendon) with your income unless you have absolutely zero bills and can afford a heftier mortgage. The only areas on the east side where you *might* have some luck is Mendon or Macedon, maybe some small pockets of Fairport or Perinton (one of the P-towns). Your household income and family situation, as well as your desired living situation is pretty much on par with mine. You're going to want to look in to the west side, specifically Greece (where I live), Spencerport, Gates, Chili, Ogden, or some specific parts of Henrietta. The east side is typically "nicer" than the west, however you can find some really nice neighborhoods and some good deals on houses. Real estate moves quick as well, so you really gotta jump on something as soon as you find it. And by quick, I'm talking like 2 week or less listings. My wifes grandmothers home was just sold after being on the market for 2 weeks, and was actually sold the week of the open house they had.

Wish I would have seen this on Friday, that was a busy day for me though.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:27 PM

51 posts, read 96,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Seeing as how you want a good sized lot (sounds like at least a half acre if not closer to an acre or more?), you're going to be hard pressed to find anything on the east side (P-towns, Webster, Brighton, Irondequoit, Fairport, Macedon, Mendon) with your income unless you have absolutely zero bills and can afford a heftier mortgage. The only areas on the east side where you *might* have some luck is Mendon or Macedon, maybe some small pockets of Fairport or Perinton (one of the P-towns). Your household income and family situation, as well as your desired living situation is pretty much on par with mine. You're going to want to look in to the west side, specifically Greece (where I live), Spencerport, Gates, Chili, Ogden, or some specific parts of Henrietta. The east side is typically "nicer" than the west, however you can find some really nice neighborhoods and some good deals on houses. Real estate moves quick as well, so you really gotta jump on something as soon as you find it. And by quick, I'm talking like 2 week or less listings. My wifes grandmothers home was just sold after being on the market for 2 weeks, and was actually sold the week of the open house they had.

Wish I would have seen this on Friday, that was a busy day for me though.
For a 40-75K income range, you will have better luck going west. Even the places OTInNY mentions may be a stretch for you. Further west is Hamlin, Hilton, Brockport. Depending on where you are working, you could go out towards the Monroe - Orleans County line area if you are looking for land > 1 acre.

I lived in Rochester area 23 years, moved out six years ago, so I welcome any rebuttal if any of those areas I mention have changed to the point that one would not recommend them.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:59 PM

94,179 posts, read 125,031,794 times
Would towns like Rush, Riga, Wheatland and outer parts of Chili work too?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvaus View Post
For a 40-75K income range, you will have better luck going west. Even the places OTInNY mentions may be a stretch for you. Further west is Hamlin, Hilton, Brockport. Depending on where you are working, you could go out towards the Monroe - Orleans County line area if you are looking for land > 1 acre.

I lived in Rochester area 23 years, moved out six years ago, so I welcome any rebuttal if any of those areas I mention have changed to the point that one would not recommend them.
I think if you are in the upper half of that income range, say $55/60k+....you'd have no problem finding a house with the type of land that the OP is looking for in Northern Greece or Hilton/Parma; I don't think they would have to go as far out as the Monroe/Orleans county line.

That income range would presumably put them in the $150k-$160k range for a house price. You can still get a decent house in Greece, Hilton, Chili, possibly even Henrietta with a half acre for that price.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,886,981 times
No way you're going to afford a good sized lot in North Greece on that kind of income. North Greece real estate is on fire right now and land is either being scooped up for stupid developments where you have 2000+ sq/ft homes built right on top of each other on small lots (something I absolutely abhor), new single homes being built on large empty lots, or preexisting homes selling at a premium. For the middle and latter of those, you're looking at well north of $150k. North Greece along with anywhere west of Manitou and north of 531 is essentially the Pittsford/Victor/Webster of the West Side.

If you want land on the cheap and don't mind owning an older home that would most likely need a fair amount of work, then Hilton/Parma/Brockport and other areas out that way are the best bet.

And I wouldn't say that income could easily afford a $150k home, unless as I said earlier they're devoid of any other heavy bills (car payments, credit cards, etc) and have almost all of their income available to pay the mortgage and taxes. Even then it would be kind of tight and not really the most desirable situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area