Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 AM

12 posts, read 25,865 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 AM

244 posts, read 417,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You could probably go with any of them and be fine, but from other factors mentioned in your post, I would say that Brighton would give you a complete package. Brighton in the 12 Corners area has some walkability and is close enough to the Southeastern portion of Rochester, which is largely fine and has some things to do. Brighton schools are some of the best in Upstate NY, if not the state and has some diversity as well. West Irondequoit would also fit due to the complete criteria.

I think she said the CITY not the suburbs.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 AM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
I think she said the CITY not the suburbs.
Read the original post again. I was speaking in reference to the suburban school districts mentioned.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:41 PM

120 posts, read 340,435 times
Let me start by saying I formed my opinion before reading everyone's replies and came up with Brighton. For the vibe, the schools etc. We are a white family that lived in the city of Rochester up until 1 years again when we relocated to MI.

Are you familiar with Great Schools GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

It gives a grade for schools which I take with a plus or minus but it also gives the racial make up of a district and each individual school as well as number of students receiving free/reduced lunch.

Back in the day Brighton was THE ritzy suburb but really that goes more to Pittsford/Fairport/Penfield and Victor (IMHO). Brighton does have some folks with money but I see it as being more academia than the others where there are more Doctors/Lawyers/corporate executives etc. This is a gross generalization and observation. As for diversity, again look at the greatschools breakdown.

Brighton is a relatively small district (which appeals to me), the town itself has an older feel, and this is referencing the 12 corners area (where Winton Road/Elmwood Ave and Monroe Ave converge. I personally would recommend this area of Brighton for its walkability and proximity to Public Transporation. And while I know some people in the Rochester area that don't drive they are few and far between especially with kids.

Going back to ethnicity I know plenty of white families and non-white families that are happy in the city and plenty of white and non-white families that aren't. And it usually has to do with the schools and one's own experiences.

As for Brighton we have had many "city" friends move to Brighton because they didn't want to lose the city feel and I don't know any that weren't happy with the move.

I hope this helps and I agree with renting but I also know with kids you want to try and get it right the first time so you don't have to change schools again. We were lucky when we moved here. We rented because we wanted to have time to figure out where we wanted to be and we ended up buying a house 1/2 mile from where we rented. But it gave us time to figure out what we really wanted.

I was very unhappy with Rochester City schools but that being said if you navigate right I know some people that are very happy, but it takes a lot of energy. there are some very nice and safe areas of the city where people go out at night and kids can play outside (there are plenty that aren't but more that are than people think).

I would also suggest getting on Nothnagle.com to look at houses to get an idea of price points and taxes. I think it is much more helpful than Zillow.

Good Luck

PS Please don't be put off by those folks that try to ruin any Rochester thread and turn people off. Just skip over those. That's what I do. I'm not saying people can't have an opposite opinion but there are some that go out of their way to not give any constructive criticism and just slam.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 PM

120 posts, read 340,435 times
And one more thing. Would you ever consider home schooling (HS)? We did it last year when our daughter was in 6th grade. (Son was at a charter school in grade 3 and most likely both would have been home schooled had we stayed)

Rochester and the surrounding area has a very large home schooling community with people that home school for all sorts of reasons. There are many activities to choose from. In just the one year my daughter was home schooled she participated in a HS bowling league, HS chess and HS ice skating. All at fraction of the cost during after school and weekend hours. And it wasn't only the cost it was that there was more time for her do it in. She also continued with her Irish Dancing in the evenings. Our former neighbor just started HS 5 of her six kids (ages 4 to 13) and they all love it. Just another option.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Hi Alw,
Thank you for writing! It was also very helpful. I did see GreatSchools and it seemed like the Brighton schools (I only checked elementary) were mostly white/Asian. Really, though, where we live now in NY is almost 100% hispanic (Dominican) and a few Middle Easterners (Yemen, Somalia) so it's actually not linguistically diverse at all (everything's in Spanish) but very racially diverse.

Anyway, I guess it's okay if the school/neighborhood is not that mixed as long as the environment is welcoming. I think kids can form their identities outside of school too I am just hoping for them to be at school with other kids like them (African/mixed).

I started thinking about Greece because West Ridge seems mixed and a good school.

I hope we will get to move soon. Yeah for the negative things mentioned about Rochester they sound like positives compared to the negatives of living here. We live on the 5th floor in a big building and the elevator is often out of service (for almost all of last year and last week for that matter). It's hot, the beaches are a very long drive away and the public pools are kind of okay but a huge hassle with kids so it's like being trapped in this little 1 BR apartment. Bring on the boredom (but Rochester doesn't seem boring at all to me) and the snow, in exchange for being able to sit outside to drink our coffee and have parking and a garden! And laundry in the house instead of dragging everything to the laundromat! Again, I love NY and know we could move within the city and improve various aspects of our lives here but we are ready to leave it and live a new way

Thanks for mentioning home schooling but I like school for kids and we both work. But, it sounds like it's working out great for you! It's nice they have activities for home schoolers to meet each other. Thanks again!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 PM

Sorry, i know Somalia is not in the Middle East

Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM

Thank you that is alot of work you did! I will have to look into them too. Some of those I also noticed. Thank you for helping me ckh!!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahiyya View Post
Thank you that is alot of work you did! I will have to look into them too. Some of those I also noticed. Thank you for helping me ckh!!
No problem and if you know where to look, it isn't too bad. It is a good website for finding out demographics for public and private schools in an area. Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area