Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:05 PM

68 posts, read 149,785 times

Advertisements

So, it wasn't too long ago that areas like the South Wedge and what's now the Neighborhood of the arts were looked upon as dead, decaying and/or dangerous neighborhoods. Now, both are completely revitalized and humming with activity (I recently read that the wedge is the fastest-growing urban neighborhood in the state north of NYC) What area do Rochester people think is next in line to become the newest 'cool' area for young folk and the like to live? I actually have a stake in this as I'm thinking of settling down somewhere affordable in town long-term and would be pretty delighted if business moved into my area and property values started going up in the next 5-10 years. I'd bet that either the lower 19th ward or South Marketview heights (the area right around the market and close to main) is about to get more popular. Anybody else have thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 PM

19 posts, read 29,295 times
I see a lot of potential downtown spreading West from the East End and Grove Place. More businesses are starting to appear there, and nicer apartments (such as the Temple building) are becoming better options for young professionals.

I agree about South Marketview Heights, I just see that taking a little while, considering it doesn't have the whole "East End Near" or "Park Avenue Near" factor that other revitalized areas have had.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,601,134 times
I would say the 19th ward...based on the development of Brooks Landing area and the fact that it's housing stock is very much intact (not really a lot of abandonment/empty lots as you would find in other neighborhoods like 14621). I think this is really good news too because the 19th ward is a much larger neighborhood geographically than other formerly rough neighborhoods that have turn around in recent years. This would mean a significantly reduced amount of blight in the city.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:56 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,332,220 times
I'd agree with both of those. The 19th Ward is so large, so there's going to be variations in activity, but with all the new projects there it's starting to look like a very healthy urban neighborhood. I'd also LOVE to see South Marketview Heights start growing. It's one of my favorite areas in the city, but a lot of people still consider it to be a ghetto neighborhood. Another neighborhood that could see some vibrancy in the future is Brown Square. With it's proximity to the stadiums and downtown, there could be some positive growth in the long term.

On the opposite side of things, I could definitely see Northland-Lyceum begin to deteriorate in the future.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,601,134 times
S Marketview Heights would need quite a bit of infill...pretty high amount of empty lots there...but I do see the potential you are talking about.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 AM

192 posts, read 531,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
S Marketview Heights would need quite a bit of infill...pretty high amount of empty lots there...but I do see the potential you are talking about.

I think when he said South Marketview Heights he was talking more specifically about the few blocks that directly surround the public market. I’ve noticed a few more artists on the western tip of Hayward Ave. There’s also the station 55 condos (a gated community but still it shows interest in the area) / new housing on central park, union, and Niagara / and a block of businesses along the northern wall of the market which are open after market hours. These are all pretty encouraging developments. And who knows perhaps if that one area of SMVH takes off it might start to spill over into the other streets beyond the market area also. Once these thinks get started you never know where they will go.

http://rocwiki.org/Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I'd agree with both of those. The 19th Ward is so large, so there's going to be variations in activity, but with all the new projects there it's starting to look like a very healthy urban neighborhood. I'd also LOVE to see South Marketview Heights start growing. It's one of my favorite areas in the city, but a lot of people still consider it to be a ghetto neighborhood. Another neighborhood that could see some vibrancy in the future is Brown Square. With it's proximity to the stadiums and downtown, there could be some positive growth in the long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
On the opposite side of things, I could definitely see Northland-Lyceum begin to deteriorate in the future.

Why do you like Marketview heights so much? Is it the housing, the history, the people, or location? I’m not saying I disagree I’d just like to hear where your coming from. You don’t hear much excitement about Marketview heights which is kind of too bad.

And why do you predict that Northland-Lyceum decline?

I concur. Some parts of the PLEX neighborhood might see some really significant improvement in the not so distant future too. The University of Rochester recently added all those student dorm buildings on Plymouth and completed a bridge that links their campus with PLEX via the Riverway trail which is really cool.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 AM

55 posts, read 132,642 times
I'm not optimistic that Rochester will ever see the kind of job growth and population expansion that would cause other city neighborhoods to come back to life, but let's assume that in 30 years global warming makes everyone move back north.

An area to keep an eye on would be West Main near downtown. The old warehouses/factories on Canal/Litchfield streets are prime candidates for redevelopment into urban living spaces, with plenty of room for commercial or entertainment venues to service the population. (Think of a big grocery store there - you'd get all of Corn Hill shopping there as well.) The adjacent Susan B. Anthony neighborhood is already 75% of the way there, and I think people buying into that neighborhood now are going to be very glad they did--even if nothing happens with the rest of West Main. And a lot of money has been poured into West Main near Susan B. Anthony already.

It would take some imagination, but Brown Square and north on State up Lake is a possibility. I like this as a candidate better than South 19th Ward, because the commercial strip is already there. But purely from a residential standpoint, the 19th Ward and Maplewood are where the good housing stock is.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 AM

97 posts, read 201,220 times
Plymouth-Exchange, hands down. You can feel it in the air. I'm very familiar with that neighborhood and have a bunch of friends who live there. In addition to all the development UR's been doing over there, the city has huge plans for the waterfront. They just had a big neighborhood meeting on it based on the planning charrette PLEX residents held back in June. Even now, the crime rate there isn't NEARLY as bad as pearl-clutchers think it is. I've never, ever had a problem biking or walking around there. PLEX is definitely a great place to invest while housing prices are still low.

The Susan B. Anthony and Changing of the Scenes (formerly Mayors Heights) Neighborhoods have been seeing some good stuff too, especially around West Main.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM

192 posts, read 531,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
I'm not optimistic that Rochester will ever see the kind of job growth and population expansion that would cause other city neighborhoods to come back to life, but let's assume that in 30 years global warming makes everyone move back north.
The city might not necessarily need to see massive job growth or a huge influx of population to improve some of these neighborhoods. You just have to get enough urban pioneers and artists to move back into a specific neighborhood before it reaches a tipping point where the crime and bad elements decline. This is already happening in the West Main area, as you pointed out, and in parts of Marketview heights. These areas are really attractive to artists because they still have that gritty urban character (which is still somewhat grimy as opposed to being completely sterile and uninteresting). Plus cheap houseing prices gives artists a good opportunity to set up a studio.

That’s a good point global warming and the lack of water in some parts of the country might encourage people to move back to the northeast. In the next few decades the SW is going to be toast. They’re quickly approaching their carrying capacity out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilmara View Post

The Susan B. Anthony and Changing of the Scenes (formerly Mayors Heights) Neighborhoods have been seeing some good stuff too, especially around West Main.
I wish they stayed with Mayors Heights. They seem to really like creative names on the west side don't they?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM

97 posts, read 201,220 times
Quote:
Why do you like Marketview heights so much?
There's some beautiful architecture in the neighborhood's Prince-Alexander-Champeney Terrace area. Some of the houses there have been fixed up very nicely but it could still be a whole lot better.

https://rocwiki.org/Marketview_Heigh...t=P1010202.JPG
https://rocwiki.org/Cool_Houses?acti...&target=MH.JPG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area