Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 AM

1,917 posts, read 3,488,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
South Plymouth from Brooks Landing to Corn Hill would be the ticket. The river side of S. Plymouth should be prime real estate. Not sure what's ever going to cause a change though.
Good point, plus Ill add that both sides of the river had heavy railroad traffic at one time. Sometimes it's hard to develop old rights-of-way, in fact the only development I recall in that area was that Soviet-era-looking monstrosity of a housing project which was torn down several years ago. The other side of the river only recently got any development, at Corn Hill Landing. I agree that further upriver could see some development in the next 10 years or so.

The JOSANA neighborhood (formerly Dutchtown):

JOSANA Neighborhood - Rochester Wiki

For those interested but who might not know that part of the city, the Canal St./Susan B. area is just south of there, past 490 and the railroad tracks.

According to legend, even in G. Eastman's time the Orchard St. area was run-down in spots, and he complained to the city to do something about it. The canal used to run through there, and according to accounts from the period and folks I've talked with over the years, where the canal went through Upstate cities and towns were 'no-go' zones for a lot of the locals. Plenty of unsavory activity, apparently, with Buffalo having a reputation known world-wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM

68 posts, read 150,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Good point, plus Ill add that both sides of the river had heavy railroad traffic at one time. Sometimes it's hard to develop old rights-of-way, in fact the only development I recall in that area was that Soviet-era-looking monstrosity of a housing project which was torn down several years ago. The other side of the river only recently got any development, at Corn Hill Landing. I agree that further upriver could see some development in the next 10 years or so.

The JOSANA neighborhood (formerly Dutchtown):

JOSANA Neighborhood - Rochester Wiki

For those interested but who might not know that part of the city, the Canal St./Susan B. area is just south of there, past 490 and the railroad tracks.

According to legend, even in G. Eastman's time the Orchard St. area was run-down in spots, and he complained to the city to do something about it. The canal used to run through there, and according to accounts from the period and folks I've talked with over the years, where the canal went through Upstate cities and towns were 'no-go' zones for a lot of the locals. Plenty of unsavory activity, apparently, with Buffalo having a reputation known world-wide.
I've always thought those Westside neighbourhoods close to downtown had a lot of cool old housing stock, but I'm not really familiar with the community over there (translation: I don't know anybody living in those neighbourhoods. I'm an Eastsider) are there a lot of young people over in Susan B, dutchtown, thereabouts? I mean its kind of hard to have a hip, happenin' area if there aren't a lot of 20-somethings (no offense to the more...senior members of the city-data
Community)

Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM

97 posts, read 202,637 times
They're very mixed neighborhoods, demographically speaking. By "next big neighborhood" I don't necessarily mean "hip" or "happening." I took it to refer to areas in the process of revival - going from dangerous and rundown to safe and bustling again.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 PM

1,917 posts, read 3,488,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastOfWest View Post
I've always thought those Westside neighbourhoods close to downtown had a lot of cool old housing stock, but I'm not really familiar with the community over there (translation: I don't know anybody living in those neighbourhoods. I'm an Eastsider) are there a lot of young people over in Susan B, dutchtown, thereabouts? I mean its kind of hard to have a hip, happenin' area if there aren't a lot of 20-somethings (no offense to the more...senior members of the city-data
Community)
Not really, that's right outside downtown and continues to be a rough area, both the Susan B. one and between the tracks and Lyell Ave. It lies within the 'crescent' where lots of unsavory stuff happens.

Some of the houses remind me of ones in the South Wedge and some of Corn Hill, the really old brick ones, not the small ones which were more working-class 100+ years ago.

Still, the holy trinity of Rochester's Italian restaurants hang on: Rocky's, Roncone's (which is up by Dewey where Tent City used to be), and Antonetta's (at the other end of Jay St. near Mt. Read). It's just that there's a lot of grinding poverty in that general area, which is a shame.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Not really, that's right outside downtown and continues to be a rough area, both the Susan B. one and between the tracks and Lyell Ave. It lies within the 'crescent' where lots of unsavory stuff happens.

Some of the houses remind me of ones in the South Wedge and some of Corn Hill, the really old brick ones, not the small ones which were more working-class 100+ years ago.

Still, the holy trinity of Rochester's Italian restaurants hang on: Rocky's, Roncone's (which is up by Dewey where Tent City used to be), and Antonetta's (at the other end of Jay St. near Mt. Read). It's just that there's a lot of grinding poverty in that general area, which is a shame.
Yeah, didn't mean to suggest that it's a lovely area by any stretch of the imagination. Just that if those neighborhoods were safe, and cleaned up a bit, they'd have a lot of potential to become the type of neighborhood I'm curious about- the whole vibrant, ecletic urban village type thing. Particuarly Brown Square and the areas around West Main. The "grinding poverty" assessment is fairly accurate, but god knows there's a lot of other neighborhoods in Rochester that also fit that description (Gennesee-Jefferson, Edgerton and pretty much everything on the NE side from the River to Goodman Street, south of norton). The difference, I think, is West Main St. and State St./Lake Ave both have a lot of commercial activity going on and both really feel like a bustling city avenue instead of the ugly, lifeless thoroughfares that usually anchor neighborhoods with the level of crime that the hoods immediately west of Downtown deal with. The only problem is I don't know how eager young people, students, working professionals and the like will be to move to really anywhere on the west side, simply because it often seems like EVERYTHING in the way of art, music, food and nightlife is East/Southeast. I mean even within the inner loop, you have the western half of downtown (which is dead after everybody leaves work) and then across the river there's the East End, St. Paul Quarter, etc. I mean I'm not trying to talk down the west side, I'd hang out more there if there was anywhere to hang out.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 PM

Correction- I shouldn't have said there was NOTHING on the west side, I forgot about Corn Hill landing. And both the stadiums and Blue cross arena are across the river. Other than that, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area