Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 AM

45 posts, read 162,458 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are hoping to move back to Rochester ideally in the next 5 years or so. We're looking for a neighborhood that is gay friendly, walk able and has good schools. Initially we were thinking that we would live in the Park Ave area and send our child to private school but the cost of private schools seem prohibitive. So now we're thinking that Brighton or Fairport might be our best bets.

Any thoughts about the areas we targeted or suggestions for others are welcome!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 AM

55 posts, read 132,497 times
Walkable as in feeling OK to walk around day or night? Pretty much of all of the suburbs fit that description, along with the SE quadrant of the city. Walkable as in having any place worth walking to? You need to reconsider Park Ave. or other good city neighborhoods. But the villages like Pittsford or Fairport might satisfy you. None of those places are gay unfriendly. The most gay friendly city neighborhoods are Corn Hill, Neighborhood of the Arts, Park/East, and they're all very walkable. But if you don't think your kids are going to a good school, then that's that.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
If you have kids in elementary school, Francis Parker Elementary(aka School 23) is actually a good RCSD elementary school in the Park Avenue area. School 23-Francis Parker - Rochester, New York - NY - School overview

Some charter schools may work as well. Rochester Schools - Rochester, NY | GreatSchools

Brighton near the SE Quadrant would work as well. http://www.greatschools.org/new-york...ools/?view=map

Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Thanks all. By walk able I meant good places to walk to. We have no kids yet but plan to shortly - looking or a good school district from K - 12 as we don't plan on moving for a looking time

Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclyde View Post
Thanks all. By walk able I meant good places to walk to. We have no kids yet but plan to shortly - looking or a good school district from K - 12 as we don't plan on moving for a looking time
This is a pretty good website to help gauge walkability with an example: Walk Score of 170 Barrington St Rochester NY 14607

and another example: Walk Score of 1150 S Winton Rd Rochester NY 14618

Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iclyde View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are hoping to move back to Rochester ideally in the next 5 years or so.
Ask again in 5 years. Seriously. Not being snarky. Lots can change in 5 years. Places that fantastic now could be in the toilet and vice versa.

As for being gay friendly, gay people can legally be married in NY so in general it's a gay friendly state. Sure, you may find a knucklehead here and there. It's not like there's mobs of people being anti-gay unlike other states.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Thanks all - really great advice. Thanks again

Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 PM

120 posts, read 340,323 times
We (my partner and I, 2 women) owned a house in North East Rochester (Culver Road area) for 15 years. We had planned on selling an moving to the suburbs when our kids reached school age but never did Our kids (12 and 9) went to city schools and a charter school and we home schooled our daughter for a year. If you've ever thought of homeschooling the Rochester area is a great place to do it. We just moved to South West MI and are living in an area with schools comparable to Brighton in a very walkable neighborhood.

IMHO I would say Villages of Fairport or Pittsford in Monroe county, Village of Victor in Ontario County just 12miles from the city or as others have mentioned Town of Brighton around the 12 corners area. As for gay friendly I know of gay people in just about every area of the county. The area as a whole is gay friendly.

As much as I love the city, if I could do it again, I'd start my kids in suburban schools. Yes, school 23 is very good but it only goes to 6th grade and it's not without its issues, especially if your kids are not in the MAP program. Now if you were open to Home Schooling the city is a great place to be.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alw1964 View Post
We (my partner and I, 2 women) owned a house in North East Rochester (Culver Road area) for 15 years. We had planned on selling an moving to the suburbs when our kids reached school age but never did Our kids (12 and 9) went to city schools and a charter school and we home schooled our daughter for a year. If you've ever thought of homeschooling the Rochester area is a great place to do it. We just moved to South West MI and are living in an area with schools comparable to Brighton in a very walkable neighborhood.

IMHO I would say Villages of Fairport or Pittsford in Monroe county, Village of Victor in Ontario County just 12miles from the city or as others have mentioned Town of Brighton around the 12 corners area. As for gay friendly I know of gay people in just about every area of the county. The area as a whole is gay friendly.

As much as I love the city, if I could do it again, I'd start my kids in suburban schools. Yes, school 23 is very good but it only goes to 6th grade and it's not without its issues, especially if your kids are not in the MAP program. Now if you were open to Home Schooling the city is a great place to be.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Did you end up in Stevensville or St. Joe?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 PM

120 posts, read 340,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Did you end up in Stevensville or St. Joe?
St Joe and we love it. While we had initially planned on HS both kids, they are both going to school. LOVE the schools, remind us of Brighton schools. And we live about 1/3 mile from the Bluff and are able to walk to the library etc. There is a huge play fountain about 60 steps down from the bluff and beyond that the beach. We are renting right now but need to get serious about finding a place to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area