Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 PM

9 posts, read 101,442 times

Advertisements

I have been absorbing a lot of the postings about Rochester/Syracuse/Ithaca. Doing research on the net about this region to possibly relocate too. Your weather debate drew my attention. Appreciate both sides of the arguement.

One of my main concerns is just about sun. I've been living out in Seattle for the last 16 years and the gloomy cloud cover is what has been driving me and my wife slowly crazy.

What's it like out there during the winter months? Are you socked in? We have a convergence zone that puts clouds over us even after storms pass through. You can go weeks without seeing the sun. What's you observations? Any insight? btw partly cloudy days count as sunny days in my book. :P

Is there any noticable differences moving inland to Ithaca compare with say Rochester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 06:46 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
New york state article

In real terms, property values have increased by 3 percent from 1970 to 2000 (excluding
New York City).14 For most regions, growth in the 1980s has offset declining property
values in the 1970s. While property values for cities have been fairly stable overall
during the 30-year period, there has (and continues to be) substantial variation between
regions. Cities in the Finger Lakes and Western New York Regions have decreased the
most in real terms, while property values in Capital Region and North Country cities have
grown from 1980 to 2000. The Western New York Region is the only region to
experience real declines in property values in each of the decades examined in this
analysis.
In constant dollars, property values have declined from 1970 to 2000 for each of the large
upstate cities, with Rochester experiencing the largest decrease (38 percent decline). As
outlined in the previous sections, this decline in property values coincides with
substantial population losses for these cities.
http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/...pop_trends.pdf

Jobs

Rochester in 1990 had 505,187
1998 was the peak of 529,190
and last months was 511,238
so in 17 years we have had 6000 job gain. That is about 352 jobs a year or 29jobs a month.

buffalo
1990-556,379
2007 peaked -561,134
4,755 jobs in 17 years
Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NYEmployment Data

tommorrows job number will be interesting.
i meant to post this in the other thread about fast growing towns in upstate

Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diacon33 View Post
I have been absorbing a lot of the postings about Rochester/Syracuse/Ithaca. Doing research on the net about this region to possibly relocate too. Your weather debate drew my attention. Appreciate both sides of the arguement.

One of my main concerns is just about sun. I've been living out in Seattle for the last 16 years and the gloomy cloud cover is what has been driving me and my wife slowly crazy.

What's it like out there during the winter months? Are you socked in? We have a convergence zone that puts clouds over us even after storms pass through. You can go weeks without seeing the sun. What's you observations? Any insight? btw partly cloudy days count as sunny days in my book. :P

Is there any noticable differences moving inland to Ithaca compare with say Rochester?
I wouldn't say that I noticed a lot of cloud cover living in Rochester for most of my life until I moved. The winter months do bring a lot of cloudy days. The summers probably share a fair proportion of sunny days to cloudy days. I couldn't find a report that included Ithaca, but I found a comparison that includes Rochester and Seattle:

Sunshine Hours Page (http://www.thewellers.com/weller43/sunshine.htm - broken link)

Rochester appears to have 61 days of sunshine and Seattle has 71. One thing to keep in mind is that this is only looking at completely sunny days. However, I would assume that partly cloudy days wouldn't fall too out of line with what this is showing. I can't say that is the case though. Hope this helps.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
shibainu, I never said that it didn't snow in those months. I said that constantly getting snow storms during these months is uncommon in response to something else I read.
A dusting that melts before you wake up does not count as a snow storm.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diacon33 View Post

ROCHESTER, NY average percentage chance of sunshine by month.
JAN- 35 FEB 41 MAR 49 APR 53 MAY 59 JUN 66 JUL 69 AUG 66 SEP 59 OCT 49 NOV 31 DEC 30 ANN 51%
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/pctpos.txt
at the bottom of the page it show cloud coverage and sunshine
Ithaca, New York (NY) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Rochester, New York (NY) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
shows you cloud coverage by type:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/clpcdy.txt

this link compares rochester to ithacaModerator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:58 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
ROCHESTER, NY average percentage chance of sunshine by month.
JAN- 35 FEB 41 MAR 49 APR 53 MAY 59 JUN 66 JUL 69 AUG 66 SEP 59 OCT 49 NOV 31 DEC 30 ANN 51%
at the bottom of the page it show cloud coverage and sunshine
Ithaca, New York (NY) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Rochester, New York (NY) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
shows you cloud coverage by type:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/clpcdy.txt
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

That's better. This gives you mostly/predominantly sunny days, instead of completely sunny days (the link I sent).

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:59 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
shibainu, I never said that it didn't snow in those months. I said that constantly getting snow storms during these months is uncommon in response to something else I read.
A dusting that melts before you wake up does not count as a snow storm.
I think these post are what you refering too.
Garmin stated “I think you are exaggerating a bit. April will get some snow but most of the days are fine. May is not mostly rainy either. Many summers are not cold. Most summers are fine with averages in the 80s and 70s. I don't remember any summer were people were freaking out because it was cold. Early November is not freezing either.
If you blow the weather out of proportion like you did above it looks bad. If you look at it realistic, its fine, if you like the winter from December to March.”

AJNEOA stated “I don't see where I was exaggerating at all. If you look at the average low for April, it's 35 degrees. I was saying that it isn't uncommon to get snowstorms in April toward the end. Let's not forget that May is spring, where it rains a lot. May gets 2.85 inches of rain, which leads into 3.36 inches for June. Some of the rainiest months a year. By November 14th indicates that the average (taken by the National Weather Service over the last 50+ years) is 33 degrees for the low. This means that it's also not uncommon to get freezing temperatures before that, and it's often freezing on a consistent basis by mid-November.”

Average snowfall by inches.

1-jan 21.7
2-feb 20.1
3-dec 17.7
4-march 14.6
5-Nov 6.9
6-April 3.8
7-Oct 0.4
8-May 0.3

July, August, September, June all have 0 inches

A interesting fact is that the average for may is .3 inches of snow but in the past 30 years it is .5 inches. It is not a lot of snow but it shows an increase.
Also April average was 3.8 inches but in the past 30 years it has been 5.1. This is very close to the November Averages 6.9 inches of snow.
So 8 out of 12 months it is possible to snow in Rochester. That would be 67% of the year. Talk about a long snow season.
NWS Buffalo Climate Information - Rochester Monthly Snowfall (Normals)

April
2001- 2002 -6.5 inches next closes month was dec-7.1
2002-2003-6.3 next closes month was march-5.6
2003-2004-5.1 next closes month was nov.-5.4

Compare April and Nov days that had snowfall
2007-11/n/a
2006-2/3
2005-2/11
2004-6/4
2003-6/8
2002-9/18
2001-3/3
Total 28 /47
April averages 4.6 days a year for snow. In the past 6 years the total amount of inches of snow was 24.31. So that is an average of .86 inches per day
Nov averaged 7.8 days a year for snowfall in a month with 39.9 total inches falling for those 6 years. So that is an average of .84 inches per day

You also said the month of May also does not receive a lot of rain but it is ranked 4 out of 12 months for highest perception. May has more perception than any winter months.
NWS Buffalo Climate Information - Rochester Monthly Precipitation (Normals)

Nov is the 5th coldest month of the year in Rochester. The month starts in the mid-50’s for Highs and 37 for the lows. Then near the end of the month makes it to the low 40 for the highs of the day and 28 for the lows. So it usually gets colder near then end of the month. Which garmin you are correct about the november temp.
NWS Buffalo Climate Information - Rochester Heating Degree Days (Normals)
History : Weather Underground

One last comment, every one has a different opinion on what is cold or hot to them so it could be a miss communication.

Last edited by shibainu; 09-07-2007 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: made an error on the average inches of snow per day in april and nov

Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Quote:
So 8 out of 12 months it is possible to snow in Rochester. That would be 67% of the year. Talk about a long snow season.

It is possible to snow. That does not mean it snows. A long snow season would be an extended period of time where it snows on a constant basis. I really would not consider months where you might have the chance of getting a small amount of snow part of a "long snow season"

Old 09-07-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Who Cares???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I never said it did not snow in April. I said that we don't get constant snow storms in April like you claim.
The "facts" you posted do not represent the whole picture. You selectively chose data to make the place look cold all the time. And you also made several claims not backed by any facts.
There really is not a "longest" season as weather changes each year. Sometimes you get more snow than other years. Sometimes you get warmer weather than other years. Sometimes the fall like weather will linger longer.
We also do not get snow storms "most nights" for four months as you claim. Is that another one of your facts? I personally would prefer more months of snow so that I could extend the snowboarding season. But thats not the case.
If you prefer summer like weather, fine. But don't try to exaggerate because there are a couple months of cold weather.
All this weather arguing is stupid. It's clear that Rochester gets more of a winter than a summer. Who cares? At least the other poster put alink in to dispaly to everybody the facts! Its not like they pulled the wool over your eyes! Are you worried people won't want to move/visit your rust belt city if they think their gonna freeze year round? I think people are smart enough to draw there own conclusions based on the links given!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Miami weather with it's constant rain in the summer and high humidity, is horrible for 6 months like I said. Thanks for proving my point! Rochester does have cold winter but not exactly terribly cold, I think it is extremely pleasent MOST of the year, about 9 months or so. Sounds like you would love Houston weather (where I go to school now).
Miami weather is awesome! 6 months of horrible weather??? I guess that's why people love the beach, the ocean, the nightlife, the parks, the natural beauty so much! Gee, I sure would like to trade that for a northern state with five month long winters... To each his/her own.......I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area