Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:53 AM

525 posts, read 1,830,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Rochester Ranks High in Poverty
R News: As It Happens, Where It Happens (http://www.rnews.com/TopStory_2004.cfm?ID=64041&rnews_story_type=18 - broken link)
The never said how many middle class families there had to be I'm pretty sure middle class families wouldn't generally live in 14621.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 AM

260 posts, read 978,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
The never said how many middle class families there had to be I'm pretty sure middle class families wouldn't generally live in 14621.
Yeah... I am sure none...

Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 AM

205 posts, read 457,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Muggy, how can you compare Rochester to Florida? Florida's real estate values virtually doubled from 2000 to 2005, which resulted in a massive amount of overbuilding. Plus many mortages were subprime. This has resulted in a 25% decline in property values, and a glut of new houses and condos.

In the same period, what did Rochester's property values increase by, 20%? And where are the thousands of new condos and single-family houses that are wilting on the market? There aren't many. Also, subprime is hardly a factor here.

So there is no comparison.
Bad news for you... Go to page 11 at this link:

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/...pop_trends.pdf

Rochester property values LOST value, -6.41%, in the time period from 1998 to 2003 (in nominal terms). Now, keep in mind that probably means the city proper. Not sure what the metro property values have done. Would guess they've done better based on what I've read around this forum (I don't live in Rochester).

On an unrelated note: Can any comment on living in the Park Ave area, particularly with regard to families with small children? It seems that people with young families have moved to the suburbs for the schools and Park Ave is for single people. True? This is obviously a matter of degree, but would we be the only family on the block with kids under 6 if we move to Park Ave?

Thx

Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,611,038 times
You wouldn't be the ONLY family, but you'd be a minority. You'd probably have a higher chance of being around more families if you end up on one of the streets with a high owner-occupied ratio. Park Ave area is generally where young singles, couples rent; or empty nesters own.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 PM

205 posts, read 457,240 times
Kinda what I thought. Thanks for the response.

If there are any other opinions around, I'd like to hear them too.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 836 times
I lived in Rochester for most of my life, o left for good when I was 23. I am 28 and I wouldn't move back even though my family is there. It is a great place to raise a family with stability, but its small and doesn't challenge you. You are complacent. There is so much to see and experience, and Rochester doesn't hold up to the rest of metropolitan areas if you're looking to be stimulated. Comfortable yes, adventure no.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:02 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,332,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane ireland View Post
I lived in Rochester for most of my life, o left for good when I was 23. I am 28 and I wouldn't move back even though my family is there. It is a great place to raise a family with stability, but its small and doesn't challenge you. You are complacent. There is so much to see and experience, and Rochester doesn't hold up to the rest of metropolitan areas if you're looking to be stimulated. Comfortable yes, adventure no.
In what way does it not "challenge" you? That's a broad statement without any sort of a definition. And what are the "rest of the metropolitan areas" it doesn't "hold up to"? Again, a statement without any context as to what it even means.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:53 AM

466 posts, read 984,251 times
Sorry, someone who moved away at 23 has very little real life experience up to that point. So excuse me that I don't take your comments seriously at all.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:49 AM

5,764 posts, read 4,142,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane ireland View Post

Rochester does not challenge you? That sounds like a challenge right there. Come back to Rochester (bring your friends) and make Rochester the city you want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area