Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 AM

531 posts, read 1,144,199 times

Advertisements

do people in syracuse talk the same way we do? or is the nasally northern cities vowel shift dialect restricted to buff/roc as far as NY goes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 04:38 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,877 times
In his recent political commercial, Mayor Bob Duffy pronounces "cop" like "cap." That is the essence of a Rochester accent, IMHO.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
Robert Forster has the typical Rochester accent in movies I've seen him in.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 AM

19,528 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
oh no, trust me...there is a Rochester accent. I didn't notice it until living away for so long, but now I can't go a day without noticing it; even in myself. It's uniquely "Rochester" because while it is mostly that nasaly great lakes accent usually associated with Chicago; it has a bit of a northeastern twang in it too. Most of us don't have it in such an exaggerated way as in that song (thank god!) but it's there. It's the heaviest in Greece; less noticeable in the city and the east side suburbs; but still there.

For a long time I had always thought the way that we say things in Rochester was "accent free". Indeed, upstate ny used to be lumped in with PA/Ohio/Indiana/ etc as the places with "newscaster" or accent free speech; but now that has shifted.

One of the words its most noticeable to me now is the word "bag"....we pronounce that word like "Bay" with a G sound at the end. Almost like "beige", but with a harder G. Everyone else says "bahg", with the hard "a" sound,
I didn't think of the way I pronounced the word bag as you stated, until now. I have to pay more attention to those who say it with the harder a, and ask where they're from. I know the "O" as in Rochester, is seemingly pronounced like a hard "A" or as in the word, "rah".

Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Yeah, I had never noticed it in myself for a while. But now any time I go into wegmans and hear them say they need a "bay-ger" I have to hold back a chuckle.

I have to say as much as the Rochester accent gets poked fun at it for its obscene nasalness, I MUCH prefer it to accents like that of people on "Lwoooang Oiiiilend"or Baastan....they eat "peatser" (pizza) in both of those places, and in LI, they drink "cwafee".

I find the Rochester/great lakes accent to be much more "homey" and in a way, charming, like a moderate southern accent can be.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 AM

19,528 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Yeah, I had never noticed it in myself for a while. But now any time I go into wegmans and hear them say they need a "bay-ger" I have to hold back a chuckle.

I have to say as much as the Rochester accent gets poked fun at it for its obscene nasalness, I MUCH prefer it to accents like that of people on "Lwoooang Oiiiilend"or Baastan....they eat "peatser" (pizza) in both of those places, and in LI, they drink "cwafee".

I find the Rochester/great lakes accent to be much more "homey" and in a way, charming, like a moderate southern accent can be.
I married a New Englander . Although he's lived in so many places for so long, it's still there. Like the saying goes, 'you can take the boy out of the city but you can't take the city out of the boy" but apply it to this discussion of having an accent. His is much more subdued than some of his family members though who have not moved more than an hour or two away from the home they grew up at. When they all get together for the holidays, it seems to get stronger. I kid him sometimes. We knew a girl named Anita but when he pronounced her name, it sounded more like "I need her" and I'm going like, why do you need her and what do you need her for?
It's kinda funny in a way when you think that they drop the r's where they are normally spelled, as in car - 'cah" and put them in places where they're not, ie -anything that ends with an "a" [as in Anita, pizza = peatser].

Old 10-23-2010, 10:24 AM

99 posts, read 228,161 times
It seems sometimes like the accent changes from east side to west side

the classic Rochester accent seems more a west side thing

Old 10-23-2010, 12:45 PM

200 posts, read 604,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz View Post
It seems sometimes like the accent changes from east side to west side

the classic Rochester accent seems more a west side thing
Right on - I've lived here for a while and never noticed it to be prevalent until I moved to the west side earlier this year. But yeah, it sounds about right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
do people in syracuse talk the same way we do? or is the nasally northern cities vowel shift dialect restricted to buff/roc as far as NY goes...
I almost think you could draw a line down Lake Ave, State St & Exchange - on the East side, not so bad, on the west side we're on city data dat cam. Also, pronouncing "coupons" like "kewpons" seems to be a good indicator.

Last edited by aaron4040; 10-23-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 04:23 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
Right on - I've lived here for a while and never noticed it to be prevalent until I moved to the west side earlier this year. But yeah, it sounds about right

I almost think you could draw a line down Lake Ave, State St & Exchange - on the East side, not so bad, on the west side we're on city data dat cam. Also, pronouncing "coupons" like "kewpons" seems to be a good indicator.
I wonder if that is because many people who are Rochester transplants get directed to move to the east side on forums like this and therefore "dilute" the accent?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 PM

233 posts, read 685,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
pronouncing "coupons" like "kewpons" seems to be a good indicator.
You mean like "Qpawns"? That's how I've always said it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area