Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,664 times

Advertisements

I sure don't mean to offend anyone. In fact, when we drove through Mechanicsville we thought the homes were wonderful and the area looked great. Plus it's close to my husband's job in Glen Allen.

But a friend of mine said, "no way. It's not what you'd be happy in."

I've always lived in an upper middle class community. However, I'm not wild at all about "snooty" behavior that can be found in some of the nicer areas.

Now I'm confused.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,962 times
My experience isn't exactly first hand. I attended a MOPS group (Mothers of Preschoolers) with a bunch of ladies from Mechanicsville. They were far from rednecks, and I think pretty indistinguishable from Short Pump moms. My take on it is it's a bit further out, but the schools are great from what I hear and you get more house for your money.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:09 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,745 times
I have family that grew up there and are still there. Mechanicsville is more rural than Henrico and parts of Chesterfield, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it "redneck". I think the further out you get from the 295/360 interchange will be a more rural environment, but I also think you get what you want out of a community.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,539 times
Mechanicsville proper (360 corridor) is the first thing that comes to mind when this location is mentioned. Through the years the Mechanicsville (mailing address) has grown significantly and stretches to the west not only beyond 301 but nearly to Route 1. The Atlee area, one of many sections of Mechanicsville contains numerous planned communities not that different from the farwest. I guess all metro areas have labels but the days of Mechanicsville rednecks and southside bubbas have passed.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 PM

372 posts, read 1,116,504 times
It tends to be a lower income level area, with more redneck than average.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,664 times
Thanks Patrick!

I have to agree. We drove around Atlee today and it was really nice with beautiful homes. Plus the Atlee highschool looks great by it's test scores alone.

The only disappointing thing is how "cookie cutter" many of the communities are surrounding the Glen Allen area where my husband is working (off Parham on Magellan at Bon Secours).

Is there anything in that area that isn't so cookie cutter?

My husband is hoping to be just 5 or 10 mins. from work.

Alley

Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 PM

283 posts, read 652,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickPatrick View Post
Mechanicsville proper (360 corridor) is the first thing that comes to mind when this location is mentioned. Through the years the Mechanicsville (mailing address) has grown significantly and stretches to the west not only beyond 301 but nearly to Route 1. The Atlee area, one of many sections of Mechanicsville contains numerous planned communities not that different from the farwest. I guess all metro areas have labels but the days of Mechanicsville rednecks and southside bubbas have passed.

You are correct about your assessment. The area has really grown and changed from what it once was 30 years ago. Some of the redneck reputation still lingers but is no longer valid.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 AM

383 posts, read 1,016,539 times
Alley -- Yes, I think you should be able to find non-cookie cutter communities both in Hanover / western side and throughout Glen Allen. I suggest you have a stra8up talk with your relo realtor if you have one o0r the Realtor you are working with -- They should be able to show you a variety of options.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:32 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,868 times
There are no rednecks in Hickanicsville

Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,956 times
In my experience, very few people ever label themselves as a red neck. They might be totin' a deer in the back of their truck and have their NASCAR sticker on their window, but for some reason miss the fact they're red necks.

I think your best bet is to take some time, rent a home maybe for a couple months, then decide if it's red neck or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond