Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 8,746 times

Advertisements

So is it normal for people in the Mechanicsville subdivisions to not invite their next door neighbors to house parties?

My wife and I are the same age as them, our kids are the same age too. We've always been VERY nice and courteous to them.

We moved here about 2 years ago.. it is a middle class subdivision.. our next door neighbors have had two large house parties and not invited us to either one. This is VERY RUDE!!! And un-neighborly. In fact, not inviting your next door neighbors to big parties is a way to create negative tension instead of friendships. I guess they do not care because they are local natives.. and UH, OH! We are not FROM Virginia! Yikes! Maybe this is why they snubbed us. Either way, they are horribly rude. I wonder if this is how most of Mechanicsville is. Very smug attitudes? Like "if yall aren't from around here, we really don't need any new friends so we just won't invite yall to our party."

And yes, I am talking about full grown adults. So far it is a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 02:38 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
So is it normal for people in the Mechanicsville subdivisions to not invite their next door neighbors to house parties?

Yes and numerous other counties.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:

My wife and I are the same age as them, our kids are the same age too. We've always been VERY nice and courteous to them.

We moved here about 2 years ago.. it is a middle class subdivision.. our next door neighbors have had two large house parties and not invited us to either one. This is VERY RUDE!!! And un-neighborly. In fact, not inviting your next door neighbors to big parties is a way to create negative tension instead of friendships. I guess they do not care because they are local natives.. and UH, OH! We are not FROM Virginia! Yikes! Maybe this is why they snubbed us. Either way, they are horribly rude. I wonder if this is how most of Mechanicsville is. Very smug attitudes? Like "if yall aren't from around here, we really don't need any new friends so we just won't invite yall to our party."

I guess it depends on the party and who they have coming over. I won't invite my neighbors over to a party if it's a big get together with all work friends; same thing with all family (and other circumstances). It's not that I don't like my neighbors, but more because the conversations are premised on things they aren't privy to.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
what....i grew up in the mechanicsville burbs and like 90% of our neighbors were from out of state. i think the phenomenon you're describing is happening more often everywhere. people have way worse manners than they used to

Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM

457 posts, read 693,815 times
Quote:

Honestly, who cares? Why don't you go ask your neighbors instead?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:

And, How many times have you invited them to your house parties???? Seems bizarre to complain about people that have other people over. What business is it of yours, seriously.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,604 times
Sorry but I kind of agree with JanND, I mean, of course, it is nice when neighbors get along and invite each other to large house/block parties etc., but for the OP to come to a public forum and complain about neighbor not inviting him to the party makes the OP looks a bit sad!

Some people live in the suburbs for a greater sense of privacy and space and might be under the impression that neighbors may not want to be bothered with invites to private parties and such.

Unless you see each other while working on the lawn ALL the time, frequently exchange in conversations and the families are good friends with each other there is no clear reason for them to bother inviting neighbors to a private party. And IF you are close friends with them and they STILL never invite you to private parties and it bothers you that much then you should really resolve this by casually bringing it up with the neighbor in a non-confrontational way. Either way, complaining about it in a public forum really raises a huge question about your social skills and therefore your eligibility for invites to private parties, neighbors or not!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM

202 posts, read 350,516 times
Sure does sound familiar...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/richm...newcomers.html

Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,794 times
I think you have issues, there are more important things to worry bout than why you werent invited. I always tried to side step neighborhood gatherings ,maybe a neighborhood yard sale but I have always thought it better to keep arms distance from neighbors it stops a lot of trivial arguments.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:05 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
When I was younger the only reason we might invite the neighbors to a party was if we thought it might get too noisy. Then the neighbors would be a part of it and not complain <smile>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond