Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,558 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I will be relocating to the Richmond area the beginning of March for my career. I am excited about the move, but really UNSURE on which part of the Richmond area to move to. My wife and our daughter, which is 4, will be joining me in May. I really love the idea of the Glen Allen/Short Pump area because of the great public schools and the suburbian style living seems safe to me. It's definitely similiar to the area where I'm from, upscale type. Great shopping, etc is a good thing too.

BUT, I also love the Downtown areas, The Fan, Museum District, etc. My wife especially likes this area too. Great culture, great museums, shows, activities, etc, you name it, it seems that the area has it from Cary Street on through the district.

The MOST important thing to me though: School for our 4 year old. Right now we cannot afford to send her to a private school. And she is VERY smart and above average for her age, so a school with arts and culture would be good for her I believe.

I know that the Short Pump/Glen Allen area has some of the states best Elementary Schools. Downtown though has inner city schools, and I'm going to pass on that.

BUDGET: I really want to try and stay in the $900-1,000 price range for RENT. Apartment is preferred. I want to be situated in my job for a year before we buy a house. I know it's tough finding a great Loft downtown for less than $1,000.

We've both done some research on the areas, and also visited this past weekend for a couple days in the downtown, and short pump area.

I guess I need to continue to research, but I would really love some feedback from anyone willing to help. I want to make the right decision, and not regret 6 months from now I'd moved to a different area I guess...

We thank you so much for the help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,319,692 times
Fox Elementary is right in the heart of the Fan District... it's a quality public school. Most folks in the city are more concerned when kids get to middle school age. Museum District goes to John B Cary - I'm not sure how it compares to Fox. Another good school is Mary Munford.

Schools in the suburbs are good, just a different lifestyle.

Wherever you end up living, keep in mind Richmond is easy to get around. Whether you settle in the burbs or the city, you're usually not more than 15 minutes away from either.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 11,558 times
I looked at Fox and it seems to be pretty far down on the rankings of Virginia area elementary schools. Test scores are average for Richmond too. Not real sure I guess. I did see however some private schools in the area, so I could always call and get pricing. Won't hurt.

Yea, suburb schools are different, I grew up in a suburbian school and loved it. Not really shielded from the world, but to me it seems safer than downtown.

I've looked and seen a few bad reviews on The Fan as far as crime is concerned (young kids mostly breaking into cars, a few fights after dark, etc).

I need to keep researching before I make a decision though, but the safety of my family comes #1 to me, and if I'm at work, I want to feel 100% comfortable leaving them at home while I'm gone.

Not so sure I will feel the level of comfort leaving them in the fan vs sp/glen allen....

Old 01-15-2011, 02:23 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,319,692 times
Sounds like you've made up your mind... so focus on apts in the Short Pump area.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:13 AM

5,053 posts, read 6,352,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKPOC11 View Post
I really love the idea of the Glen Allen/Short Pump area because of the great public schools and the suburbian style living seems safe to me.

BUT, I also love the Downtown areas, The Fan, Museum District, etc. M

The MOST important thing to me though: School for our 4 year old. Right now we cannot afford to send her to a private school. And she is VERY smart and above average for her age, so a school with arts and culture would be good for her I believe.

I know that the Short Pump/Glen Allen area has some of the states best Elementary Schools. Downtown though has inner city schools, and I'm going to pass on that.

We thank you so much for the help!!!
You've already identified the most important factor-schools-self-identified out of private school, and recognize the difference in public schools in the area.

Do you even have a question?

Or are you looking for affirmation? If so-yes, if you must go public, Short Pump/Glen Allen (or parts of Chesterfield) is your best bet. There are quality schools to be found everywhere, but those areas are simply uniformly above average.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,700,619 times
In the Far West End there are a few complexes where you could rent a two bedroom for under $1000 with excellent school assignments (mainly in 23233 or 23059). I think they would be older complexes. Newer two bedrooms in Short Pump would probably be closer to $1200. Sounds like your child would fit in well in the suburban schools where all of the kids are above average. I'm not sure how well the public schools do with arts and culture, to be completely honest, though. Most parents I know provide that through after school activities--especially at the elementary level.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 PM

106 posts, read 263,440 times
city schools (richmond) are awful, thug infested, i would suggest the west end/short pump its more people with money out there its the nicest thing the whole VA has to offer, you'll meet nicer ppl in the west end aswell, the school systems are better aswell since its a majority caucasion area i would suggest deep run highschool its fairly new and its beautiful and near shortpump mall which is also new and probably the best mall in va aswell

Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,779,546 times
I live in the Fan and find it quite safe - I wouldn't worry about that in seriousness.

Schools on the other hand... My daughter isn't old enough yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be sending her to private school. On the other hand, due to what I value, I'd probably send her to private school if I lived in the West End as well.

My gut is that a couple of city elementary schools are fine, but after that you are stuck with private ex Maggie Walker

Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 AM

139 posts, read 239,620 times
There's nothing wrong with the fan....the crime-ridden thing is a total myth.... rarely will you ever see a crime being committed here. the west end has some of the best schools in the state, though. Richmond is my fave city btw. GO RICHMOND!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,779,546 times
To expand on schools in Richmond City - Fox, Mary Munford, and Ginter Park are all well spoken of - lots of things going on, active parents, and extra courses funded by them etc, and kids have no problems with academics when they switch over to private in junior high. Which most do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond