Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 02:49 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,718,654 times

Advertisements

Anyone interested in the Providence mayoral race can catch the debate tonight at 7 pm. The 3 democratic candidates are it. There are no republican or independent candidates. So, the winner of the demo primary will be the next mayor. Even if you don't live in Providence, this is an important race for the state.

I'll be interested in how these 3 can distinguish themselves from each other & if any of them can offer a glimpse of a quality of leadership that's been so sorely missing from the last 3 city mayors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 04:03 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,716,259 times
I heard the WPRO/Bartholomewtown debate between the three. Is it too late to find someone else and launch a write-in campaign?

Old 08-24-2022, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I heard the WPRO/Bartholomewtown debate between the three. Is it too late to find someone else and launch a write-in campaign?
My quick take on the debate:

Smiley: Clearly the most prepared with the best command of the issues. If it's all about perceived wonk competence over leadership & likeability chops, he should win in a cake walk. However, that he went out of the way to identify Cicilline as a good mayor was troubling on several levels.

LaFortune: Strangely she dominated the debate time, but didn't say much important. Mostly hollow platitudes about "bringing stakeholders together".

Cuervo: An echo of the last 3 mayors. If you liked them, you'll like this one. More of the same.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
My quick take on the debate:

Smiley: Clearly the most prepared with the best command of the issues. If it's all about perceived wonk competence over leadership & likeability chops, he should win in a cake walk. However, that he went out of the way to identify Cicilline as a good mayor was troubling on several levels.

LaFortune: Strangely she dominated the debate time, but didn't say much important. Mostly hollow platitudes about "bringing stakeholders together".

Cuervo: An echo of the last 3 mayors. If you liked them, you'll like this one. More of the same.
Yeah, Smiley is clearly the most prepared and has the best command of the issues. And he presents himself as less left than the other two.

The quantity of mailers from the Smiley campaign is higher than I have seen from any other candidate ever.

We need better options.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Smiley is clearly the most prepared and has the best command of the issues. And he presents himself as less left than the other two.

The quantity of mailers from the Smiley campaign is higher than I have seen from any other candidate ever.

We need better options.
After the debate, there's little doubt in my mind Smiley will likely win. Wish I had seen a little more leadership magic from him. Successful city mayor's must be able to persuade others to follow. Residents, city counselors, state legislators & governors. Especially when tough decisions are to be made.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:22 AM

23,692 posts, read 18,806,710 times
Of course he thought Cicilline was a great mayor. Good luck Providence...

https://www.golocalprov.com/politics...th-ethics-fine

Old 08-24-2022, 10:26 AM

Elorza is apparently going to endorse Cuervo. I'm not sure it helps much.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
After the debate, there's little doubt in my mind Smiley will likely win. Wish I had seen a little more leadership magic from him. Successful city mayor's must be able to persuade others to follow. Residents, city counselors, state legislators & governors. Especially when tough decisions are to be made.
There's some doubt in my mind. I think Smiley is the least ideologically objectionable candidate in this largely deficient field, but that isn't saying much. He's also, as you said, the one with the most command of the issues.

However, I personally know many people who think he is a back-room politician who will stand up for the moneyed interests in town. They cite his deal with Elorza eight years ago, and his money raising conflict of interest issues when he worked for Raimondo. Some even have a weird accusation that he has helped "cause gentrification" because of his real estate agent husband (as PB says, you can't make this stuff up).

My sense is that the race is between Smiley and Cuervo. I hear very little support for LaFortune. Many of the people I know who pushed Elorza eight years ago are pushing Cuervo now. So Elorza's endorsement is likely just preaching to the choir in that off-beat church.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
My sense is that the race is between Smiley and Cuervo. I hear very little support for LaFortune. Many of the people I know who pushed Elorza eight years ago are pushing Cuervo now. So Elorza's endorsement is likely just preaching to the choir in that off-beat church.
Being a progressive, I have no big ideological quarrel with any of the candidates. Were I a city voter, my focus would be more on a much needed leadership ability. In the debate, Cuervo reminded me too much of Elorza. LaFortune seemed little more than a bundle of consensus platitudes. That left a rather unlikeable, but perhaps competent Smiley. However, his affinity for Cicilline's mayoral performance was troubling.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:07 PM

9,319 posts, read 14,934,641 times
It's always the least worst of the worst line up. A lot of people just don't want to get into the corrupt political fray.

I cannot imagine Cuervo's rent control thing going over. That's a clear violation of property rights in my book. Public housing is one thing- private investment is another. We in Providence choose not to be either NYC or Boston- thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island