Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 01:48 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,999,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What an ignorant, backwards and provincial statement here. There is probably something Providence could learn from most ANY city. That is how growth and progress is achieved, the ability and willingness to learn from other's successes and failures.

While I certainly don't suggest rent control for Providence, as an example there is probably no other major city as successful at addressing crime and QOL issues as NYC in the 90s/00s. Unfortunately their recently departed disaster of a mayor squandered much of that progress, but their broken windows/pro-active policing model has proven results and has held up as a model throughout the world. It's something Providence could desperately use right now.

This kind of stubbornness and close-mindedness are why you are stuck with the leadership you have, and why Providence will remain a troubled economic backwater for the foreseeable future.
You just don't get the quality of life differences do you? No need to constantly insult me or the good people of RI either- but of course you continually do because that's the kind of man you are.

I'm not the one who had to move to Maine- you are. I'm very happy here in Providence.

Last edited by Hollytree; 09-01-2022 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 05:09 PM

4,237 posts, read 1,705,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You just don't get the quality of life differences do you? No need to constantly insult me or the good people of RI either- but of course you continually do because that's the kind of man you are.

I'm not the one who had to move to Maine- you are. I'm very happy here in Providence.
For one who professes happiness, you've made your share of derogatory comments regarding Bay Staters in general and Bostonians in particular. Free advice lady? If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:54 PM

23,849 posts, read 19,016,773 times
Quote:

Not only did you miss the point, you are also proving it.

You must believe that things like crackdowns on graffiti, noise violations, and street crime will (like the Fane tower) turn the East Side into a mini-Manhattan. You and I are therefore never going to be on the same page.

Old 09-02-2022, 05:44 AM

3,864 posts, read 2,756,667 times
Quote:
It ranges from conspiracy theory nonsense to playing the victim card, while laying blame on the government and whoever else for one's own poor choices in life. These neighborhoods are prone to boom and bust cycles because they are heavily influenced by speculators like our resident slumlord, as opposed to people actually wanting to live in them. If the latter were the case, you would see more stability with the hoods holding their value through the "storms". If that's what you want, how about cleaning up that crime infested dump of a neighborhood you are in so it's again desirable to families and other legit people. Pointing your finger at your hard working tax assessors is quite lame, and low rent.

It is clear this poster doesn't understand the issue. This 'analysis' isn't worth further commentary.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
It is clear this poster doesn't understand the issue. This 'analysis' isn't worth further commentary.

I understand the issue perfectly fine, sir. You want stability in your tax assessments and property values, you buy in a desirable area.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You must believe that things like crackdowns on graffiti, noise violations, and street crime will (like the Fane tower) turn the East Side into a mini-Manhattan. You and I are therefore never going to be on the same page.

And not to mention, of course, GROWING THE ECONOMY. I actually remember when people went to work in Downtown Providence, but we can't have that because we can't be like Boston or NYC. You are probably retired and already own your home in a desirable part of town, unlike say our friend Professor Croissant (for example). You have the "I don't need jobs or housing, so tough $hit for the rest of the city/state" attitude going on. I'm not a fan of the "ok boomer" cliche, but it really does fit in this case.

Old 09-07-2022, 01:59 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,250,633 times
Quote:

Let's just leave out the stop and frisk policies for walking while Black though, ok? You're probably not aware of the level of harassment that went on in NYC. As long as our civil rights are protected I'm fine with cracking down on the rest.

Old 09-07-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I understand the issue perfectly fine, sir. You want stability in your tax assessments and property values, you buy in a desirable area.
The good news for the good people of Providence is that this poster, with no intelligent ideas of his own, is not running for Mayor. But then, he's an outside 'force', only here to stir the pot.

Hopefully, the good people of Providence recognize that neighborhood stability leads to municipal budget stability. Much more could be written about this issue, but apparently the brain-trust here isn't worthy of the keystrokes.

Where are the candidates with substantive policies regarding a comprehensive affordable housing issue? They're all suckling from the Democratic Party teat, apparently. These three candidates don't have the slightest inclination of the complexity of the problem, let alone a plan to solve the issue. They aren't much better than the perpetual troll poster on this forum. Ouch.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:20 PM

4,237 posts, read 1,705,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The good news for the good people of Providence is that this poster, with no intelligent ideas of his own, is not running for Mayor. But then, he's an outside 'force', only here to stir the pot.

Hopefully, the good people of Providence recognize that neighborhood stability leads to municipal budget stability. Much more could be written about this issue, but apparently the brain-trust here isn't worthy of the keystrokes.

Where are the candidates with substantive policies regarding a comprehensive affordable housing issue? They're all suckling from the Democratic Party teat, apparently. These three candidates don't have the slightest inclination of the complexity of the problem, let alone a plan to solve the issue. They aren't much better than the perpetual troll poster on this forum. Ouch.
This reasoning of course, presupposes that it's an inherent responsibility of government to make housing "affordable". Why not take a poll here and find how many might be willing to sell their own house for below market value in order to get the ball rolling. Have you people ever met a problem that somebody else's money couldn't solve?

Old 09-07-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
This of course presupposes that it's a function of government to make housing "affordable". Why not take a poll here and find how many might be willing to sell their own house for below market value in order to get the ball rolling. Have you people ever met a problem that somebody else's money couldn't solve?

No, and that's a pretty weak effort from someone who purports to be a triple niner. My post does not presuppose that it is a function of government to make housing affordable. My post presupposes that it is the function of government to provide basic services at a reasonable price and to stand out of the way of the businesses who want to operate in the city. My post presupposes that the government wants to have a minimal role in the volatility of the housing market, and not exacerbate it.

I am for making the city a low-cost place to do business. I have met many people who want to work in this city, and they would if your party would just get out of the way.

And you offer no solutions, only platitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island