Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 11:15 AM

5,125 posts, read 2,698,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yeah you never hear about Mass. having a positive net "in migration" either. NH and ME (maybe VT?) are like the only states in the NE that still do.
The guy from the Metro Area Planning Council says this too and they look at this stuff for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 03:10 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,836,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
No, we agree it's not Covid - it's bad governance.

You keep trying to straw man me. I am in no way saying Rhode Island is a well run state that has it's **** together.

People don't want to live in places where the govt. is too intrusive, whether it be over regulations, leisure restrictions, medical tyrrany - you name it.

That's why they're moving to Florida and Texas at a heavy clip.

All I am saying is Rhody is hardly singular when it comes these pernicious flaws.

And I happen to love living here.

Skoal
As usual, you are talking out of your rear. Texas is not particularly free. Less restrictive firearms regulations than RI or MA, but significantly more than Maine or Vermont (I don't see you touting either of those states here). Even RI has legalized MJ now, last I checked Texas has not. People are moving to TX for the warmer weather, lower cost of living and good job opportunities, just as they always have. Nothing at all new here.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 14,943,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
And the reality is that this is what's happening in Massachusetts. The people you see fleeing to RI are not wealthy they are of middle class means looking for relief from being rent or house poor. I'm sure there are wealthy people buying in places like Newport and other ocean front areas, but I don't imagine there are many wealthy out of state people buying in Providence. (unless they are investors)
There are plenty of out of state wealthy buyers in my neighborhood in Providence. Homeowners, not just investors.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:26 PM

4,232 posts, read 1,688,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As usual, you are talking out of your rear. Texas is not particularly free. Less restrictive firearms regulations than RI or MA, but significantly more than Maine or Vermont (I don't see you touting either of those states here). Even RI has legalized MJ now, last I checked Texas has not. People are moving to TX for the warmer weather, lower cost of living and good job opportunities, just as they always have. Nothing at all new here.
Mild winters and low taxes have a habit of making folks forget about the Red Sox and Salty Brine in a hurry.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There are plenty of out of state wealthy buyers in my neighborhood in Providence. Homeowners, not just investors.
Why? What brings them there?

Old 05-28-2022, 04:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 14,943,284 times
Quote:
Why? What brings them there?

You have never seen the East Side of Providence? Perhaps you should come to the house tour on June 4 (Providence Preservation Society). There are few for sale listings at the moment however. Downtown also attracts wealthy buyers.

https://www.riliving.com/listing/313...ence-ri-02906/

Old 05-28-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You have never seen the East Side of Providence? Perhaps you should come to the house tour on June 4 (Providence Preservation Society). There are few for sale listings at the moment however. Downtown also attracts wealthy buyers.

https://www.riliving.com/listing/313...ence-ri-02906/
I've seen the East Side. But there are many areas of the country that have nice neighborhoods. I'm guessing at least some of those you're referring to are connected to Brown. Otherwise, what specifically brings significant numbers of wealthy people from other areas to Providence RI where we've already established that the economy ain't that strong?

Old 05-28-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I've seen the East Side. But there are many areas of the country that have nice neighborhoods. I'm guessing at least some of those you're referring to are connected to Brown. Otherwise, what specifically brings significant numbers of wealthy people from other areas to Providence RI where we've already established that the economy ain't that strong?
Every house on the East Side with someone moving in, just had someone moving out. Someone that likely got tired of being bled dry for taxes. I've run most it many, many times and find it a pleasant enough bedroom neighborhood with a farmer's market and outdoor concerts.Though for the taxes, the roads and sidewalks are abominable. They outline the root upheavals and sinkholes with bright paint which I've inferred to mean "this won't be fixed in your lifetime". The natives cling to the place like grim death though.

Last edited by PureBoston; 05-28-2022 at 05:33 PM..

Old 05-28-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
It's on the Seekonk River which I've rowed many times. I've always thought that stretch of River Road had serious potential, but that's when being broke comes back to bite a city in the butt. And with an egghead mayor blathering about reparations in his sanctuary city, nothing's going to get any better. The whole city is looking and feeling worn out and any chance of turning things around has long since come and gone.

Last edited by PureBoston; 05-28-2022 at 06:17 PM..

Old 05-28-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
It's on the Seekonk River which I've rowed many times. I've always thought that stretch of River Road had serious potential, but that's when being broke comes back to bite a city in the butt. And with an egghead mayor blathering about reparations in his sanctuary city, nothing's going to get any better. The whole city is looking and feeling worn out and any chance of turning things around has long since come and gone.
I don't know how these people get elected to office in all these cities. It's incredible. And there are no Buddy Cianci's in the pipeline waiting to take over. I have also reached a point where when I see "Harvard" on a pol's resume I run the other way, Democrat or Republican. Especially if they graduated within the last 20 years. No thanks. Have fun being a Professor somewhere but I don't want you "running" anything real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island