Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2021, 04:15 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,703,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
It's so encouraging to see some intelligent insightful posts from a new poster! Please keep contributing.
Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 08:35 AM

19 posts, read 10,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You should be aware that some of our forum members view raised ranches as being beneath them.
I think its best to not concern yourself with other people's opinions unless they are paying your bills. Raised ranches might not be everyone's cup of tea but you have to admit they are better and more efficiently designed for modern living than say, a traditional colonial with a formal living and dining room that are rarely used. Additionally they are great for rentals as they distribute private and public spaces in a very useful manner and they are usually cheaper per square foot than other houses. I'll take twice the usable space at 2/3 the price all day long. A renter does not care what snobby neighbors think of the exterior, they just want to know if they have to sleep across the hall from their mother in law all vacation. (they don't!)

Old 01-04-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Amen
Awww thanks! I try not to comment on things I don't know much about but this is a subject where I do and I can't seem to shut up about it.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Now that you mention it, I've rarely heard anybody in Jamestown openly critical of the town. And, the new residents, especially the New Yorkers, talk as if they have just discovered the secret isle of enchantment. God help anyone who suggests opening the second chain store (the first being Cumby's) in town.
HA! They make you sign something when you move there No lie though, a lot of the real estate you see for sale is because of divorce. People move there with some sort of expectation of paradise and they're like, I live in paradise and I'm still not happy! Oh....
It really is a stunning place to live but like I said its terribly inconvenient for 'regular people' living 'regular' lives. And the flavor is changing rapidly. Its sad only in the way that you find yourself at a concert for a band you used to like and everyone is enjoying their new music except you. Things change. Knowing when to move on in all things is an underrated trait IMO.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:48 AM

512 posts, read 443,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrifl View Post
I think its best to not concern yourself with other people's opinions unless they are paying your bills. Raised ranches might not be everyone's cup of tea but you have to admit they are better and more efficiently designed for modern living than say, a traditional colonial with a formal living and dining room that are rarely used. Additionally they are great for rentals as they distribute private and public spaces in a very useful manner and they are usually cheaper per square foot than other houses. I'll take twice the usable space at 2/3 the price all day long. A renter does not care what snobby neighbors think of the exterior, they just want to know if they have to sleep across the hall from their mother in law all vacation. (they don't!)
They are cheaper because most people hate them. I personally don’t know anyone who likes them. And most people buy homes to live-in, not to rent. I had a rental property for 10 yrs. and sold it about a yr. ago and would never want to have a rental property again. It’s even worse now because in most states you can’t kick out the tenants, even if they don’t pay rent. I’d rather invest in the stock market and not deal with all the hassle from owning and maintaining a rental.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
They are cheaper because most people hate them. I personally don’t know anyone who likes them. And most people buy homes to live-in, not to rent. I had a rental property for 10 yrs. and sold it about a yr. ago and would never want to have a rental property again. It’s even worse now because in most states you can’t kick out the tenants, even if they don’t pay rent. I’d rather invest in the stock market and not deal with all the hassle from owning and maintaining a rental.
I think you would have to ask yourself why someone would "hate" a house? A house that is uniquely designed for modern living and many thousands of people live in particularly in communities that are traditionally less expensive? I mean the bias is kind of obvious isn't it? Those kind of people live in that kind of house. I grew up in a architecturally stunning, massive, victorian home. It was cold and isolating and needlessly formal. But damn if people didn't have a high opinion of about the kind of people we were. I hate to burst anyone's bubbles but highly educated millionaires can also choose to live in raised ranches because it works best for their family.

I think it's good for people to know what works for them investing wise. I find many people to be irrational and behave in a manner inconsistent with their own self interest which is why I also, do not own rental property. I have said before that I live in narragansett where many of the houses are raised ranches and are in fact, rentals or second homes which is what I was addressing.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:51 AM

512 posts, read 443,187 times
I know exactly why I don’t like that type of housing, I don’t like it from aesthetic and architecture perspective. To me, they’re just plain ugly. And I have no idea about what you are talking about, as to “those kind of people that live that kind of house”. That kind of thought never even crossed my mind. I mean, regular human beings live in raise ranches just like in any other house. Sounds like you’re projecting your own feelings. Regarding bias, yes, I am bias towards homes, which are unattractive to me. I am certainly open to buying a fixer upper because I can envision how I can make it aesthetically better, but I can’t imagine how I can make raised ranch look better.

Having said all that, I agree with you about the interior layout, that it can be great for some families. I think it’s a great option for families with teenagers. As we all know, teenagers like their space and it’s often said they like to live in the basement. I don’t think it’s good for anyone’s mental health to live in the basement for a long time. So this could be a great alternative because one would still have their space and natural sunlight, rather than living in a dark basement.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:01 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrifl View Post
I think you would have to ask yourself why someone would "hate" a house? A house that is uniquely designed for modern living and many thousands of people live in particularly in communities that are traditionally less expensive? I mean the bias is kind of obvious isn't it? Those kind of people live in that kind of house. I grew up in a architecturally stunning, massive, victorian home. It was cold and isolating and needlessly formal. But damn if people didn't have a high opinion of about the kind of people we were. I hate to burst anyone's bubbles but highly educated millionaires can also choose to live in raised ranches because it works best for their family.

I think it's good for people to know what works for them investing wise. I find many people to be irrational and behave in a manner inconsistent with their own self interest which is why I also, do not own rental property. I have said before that I live in narragansett where many of the houses are raised ranches and are in fact, rentals or second homes which is what I was addressing.
I think I read a study on that once. People's perceptions of occupants were different depending on what style of house they were looking at. I think colonials rated highest for having the "best people" in them !!

But everyone's needs and tastes are different. Investment property is based on a number of things- who will be the tenant (ultimately location) and price. There are high end and low end tenants. If you bought a beautiful home in Narragansett that was not a raised ranch- you might get a lot more a month in rent. Of course, investments are all about ROI.

The monthly rents of houses in Newport are astronomical for example.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:07 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,703,969 times
Quote:
They are cheaper because most people hate them. I personally don’t know anyone who likes them.
I know. Just add vinyl siding & you have the whole package. However, in Jamestown, New Yorkers are snapping them up as summer places, with no sign demo is in the cards. Confounding.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:24 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
I know exactly why I don’t like that type of housing, I don’t like it from aesthetic and architecture perspective. To me, they’re just plain ugly. And I have no idea about what you are talking about, as to “those kind of people that live that kind of house”. That kind of thought never even crossed my mind. I mean, regular human beings live in raise ranches just like in any other house. Sounds like you’re projecting your own feelings. Regarding bias, yes, I am bias towards homes, which are unattractive to me. I am certainly open to buying a fixer upper because I can envision how I can make it aesthetically better, but I can’t imagine how I can make raised ranch look better.

Having said all that, I agree with you about the interior layout, that it can be great for some families. I think it’s a great option for families with teenagers. As we all know, teenagers like their space and it’s often said they like to live in the basement. I don’t think it’s good for anyone’s mental health to live in the basement for a long time. So this could be a great alternative because one would still have their space and natural sunlight, rather than living in a dark basement.

Kind of a thread hijack but if I'm trying to buy my way into the gold plated school system with the easy commute in the full service town on a beer budget, I'd certainly buy the undesirable vintage raised ranch with the harvest gold appliances and original bath if that's what I could afford. I'm sure they exist in Barrington, for instance. That market isn't so hot that people are scraping them off the lot for new construction. As long as everything is functional, you can chip away at the curb appeal. Real landscaping. Paint. A few around here were re-sided with rigid foam and cedar shingles with a portico and some stonework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island