Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:42 AM

683 posts, read 843,030 times

Advertisements

Conventions are usually very good for the cities. They bring outside money rather than take from gleaming off the finite money in state....we get cash from out of state. So having more hotels rooms might make it easier to land even more conventions...especially with all the great press going around about what a great city we have!

Old 10-14-2016, 11:08 AM

23,928 posts, read 19,119,711 times
Even if a certain hotel did become a magnet, crashing there one night wouldn't necessarily be an issue for most assuming you don't involve yourself in whatever activity is going on. That is assuming the hotel is clean and properly managed. Doesn't mean it won't be an issue for the surrounding area, and harm the QOL for neighboring residents and businesses. Do I see it happening (at least short term) with the proposed extended stay places right downtown, not so much. The problem is, if the market becomes saturated; what next? What I see much more likely than welfare housing or a fleabag motel in the future, is a place like JWU taking it over for dorms. Off the city tax roles and all the other good stuff...but as long is the demand is there right now I say go for it. I just think the city ought to be careful in its review of these proposals.

It's funny, I have actually noted in previous threads the lack of low-mid range hotels in the city. On the issue of them being magnets for drugs and prostitution, well that has long been an issue just over the state line for the hotels located on Rte. 1 in the Attleboros and to a lesser extent Seekonk. A particular notorious one is the Days Inn right on the Pawtucket line (drugs/prostitution) and the Pineapple Inn (welfare motel). Laxer drug trafficking laws have for long encouraged RI dealers to set up their transactions at these MA locations. Not sure why a greater proportion of this tier in lodging exists on the MA side, but you wonder if that has anything to do with it. Now should Providence encourage more budget motels within the city limits (as the demand is apparently there), it would be interesting to see how they hold up compared to their MA counterparts. While you'd think the more urban location would be a potential for trouble (and all the strip joints nearby, etc.), most dealers may still prefer to cross the state line. A Super 8 will likely not be going downcity (nor should it), but to a lower Allens Ave. like locale. I would not want it in my backyard, but should the city keep allowing the business to go elsewhere?

The bottom line right now is, Providence can't afford to say no to any new tax revenue.

Last edited by massnative71; 10-14-2016 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-04-2017, 07:03 AM

8,503 posts, read 4,610,556 times
5 new Providence hotels could open in 2018

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - In a city of just over 20 square miles, there will be 19 hotels come 2019, contractors say.
Five new downtown hotel projects hope to add 633 hotel rooms to the already 2,380 rooms (including bed and breakfasts and hostels) in the city, according to the Providence Warwick Convention and Visitors Bureau.

5 new Providence hotels could open in 2018 + map - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Old 03-11-2017, 07:13 AM

DEMOLISHING ICONIC FOGARTY

One-time gem of Brutalist architecture, now an eyesore, will be replaced by a Marriott hotel

DEMOLISHING ICONIC FOGARTY - The Providence Journal, 2017-03-10

Old 07-16-2017, 08:23 AM

07/16/17 Update

Marriott Residence Inn

The Fogarty Building is now fully demolished. I would soon expect to see some construction activity.

Homewood Suites Hotel
Not certain what is going on with the Homewood Suites at the corner across from Burnside Park. Work was done to compress the soil and the area is still fenced off. Unsure of construction progress as things do not look to be moving along at a fast clip.

Aloft Hotel in the Innovation District
Moving ahead still in planning stages along with the Wexford complex

Kendall Hotel LLC boutique hotel on 195 East Side Land along river
195 commission has just recently written the guidelines, based on city zoning laws, for Parcel 1AA

Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,069,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
07/16/17 Update

Marriott Residence Inn

The Fogarty Building is now fully demolished. I would soon expect to see some construction activity.

Homewood Suites Hotel
Not certain what is going on with the Homewood Suites at the corner across from Burnside Park. Work was done to compress the soil and the area is still fenced off. Unsure of construction progress as things do not look to be moving along at a fast clip.

195 commission has just recently written the guidelines, based on city zoning laws, for Parcel 1AA
here's the problem. once the city or state gives one developer tax credits or tax stabilization, they all want them. Paolino, the scum property owner in downtown Providence, wants to redevelop a building he owns into a hotel. He requested tax credits and was given them. The other scum property owner downtown is Procaccianti who tore down the Fogarty building, is now asking for the same type of benefit. Will that land remain hostage until they receive tax benefits? Maybe the other hotel developers don't want to be left behind and have their hand out also. I would not be surprised if that were the case. Paolino has long held property downtown and few are improved. Procaccianti comes in with glorious proposals and they fall through, yet they do a good job in other communities when developing property. In their home state their hands are out. We give millions to these type of developers and not the Pawsox? Something is wrong, for the owners of the Pawsox will act quickly and build their stadium as oppose to these would be Providence developers. Oh yeah, the Wexler complex, how many years has this gone on and still the land remains vacant along the I-195 corridor? Yet the Citizen's Bank Complex in Johnston, where there were cranes in the sky, is moving ahead quickly. Too bad that wasn't downtown, but the city of Providence is it's own worst enemy for developers and development.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:37 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,762,719 times
Quote:
07/16/17 Update

Marriott Residence Inn

Homewood Suites Hotel

All of forgettable design. Better suited to Warwick than the Capitol City!

Old 10-06-2017, 08:51 AM

Downtown hotel construction delayed

Marriott Residence Inn planned for the site of the former Fogarty building was expected to be finished by December 2018

By Jacqueline Tempera Journal Staff Writer

Downtown hotel construction delayed - The Providence Journal, 2017-10-06

Old 10-06-2017, 07:18 PM

23,928 posts, read 19,119,711 times
Quote:
Downtown hotel construction delayed

Marriott Residence Inn planned for the site of the former Fogarty building was expected to be finished by December 2018

By Jacqueline Tempera Journal Staff Writer

Downtown hotel construction delayed - The Providence Journal, 2017-10-06
Here we go again...

Old 10-07-2017, 05:49 AM

9,368 posts, read 15,028,686 times
According to Elorza, we have a tax surplus this year which makes whether a certain hotel gets built right away unimportant. Assume this doesn't include the pension issue???

City of Providence City of Providence Expecting Surplus for the Second Fiscal Year in a Row - City of Providence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island