Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:55 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,601,950 times

Advertisements

lol, how typical... just when hotels are dying everywhere, it's time to build 4 more
in Providence.

what's next. let me guess, taxi driver training school ?

this is probably a sick plan to declare bk on some properties,
then sell the remaining assets to the state for free housing,
which is what the "hotels" will end up as, subsidized apartments for
third world immigrants.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:28 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,058,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
lol, how typical... just when hotels are dying everywhere, it's time to build 4 more
in Providence.

third world immigrants.
Providence does not have long term units and has been in need of them. Hotels dying everywhere? Don't know about that, but here there is a need as the city averages only 30% vacancy. Way below the national average. Pricing has also been going up and nearly 2000 more rooms than 20 years ago just in downtown. You are right though, how typical another poster that attacks the positive in the local community and responding without knowing the facts..

Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,151,371 times
Quote:
in Providence.

third world immigrants.
There's so much wrong with this post that I barely even know where to start.
  1. Weird, baseless claim that "hotels are dying everywhere"
  2. Suggestion that the U.S. is Cold War-era East Germany and it's the government that builds hotels
  3. Everything-is-horrible attitude so extreme that you didn't even bother with the obvious aesthetic criticism and jumped straight to "hotels are always bad"
  4. Bizarre conspiracy theory about CORRUPTION
  5. Idea that you'd build a hotel just to declare bankruptcy on it, when you could buy the land, not build anything, save tens of millions of dollars, still declare bankruptcy and still sell the land to the state
  6. The fact that No. 2 directly contradicts No. 5
  7. Implication that nothing is worse than THIRD-WORLD IMMIGRANTS
  8. Linkage of the U.S. with the "third world," which is driving me CRAZY during this election cycle -- HUGE pet peeve; I want to put a brick through my TV every time Trump says it
  9. Suggestion that Providence is such a terrible place that every development must necessarily end up as free housing for (gasp!) POOR PEOPLE
  10. Mocking use of "lol," one of my biggest C-D pet peeves -- God, I hate that
That is a very, very impressive amount of wrong in such a short post. I'm pretty sure I missed a couple, too.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:11 AM

12,897 posts, read 22,068,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
There's so much wrong with this post that I barely even know where to start.
  1. Weird, baseless claim that "hotels are dying everywhere"
  2. Suggestion that the U.S. is Cold War-era East Germany and it's the government that builds hotels
  3. Everything-is-horrible attitude so extreme that you didn't even bother with the obvious aesthetic criticism and jumped straight to "hotels are always bad"
  4. Bizarre conspiracy theory about CORRUPTION
  5. Idea that you'd build a hotel just to declare bankruptcy on it, when you could buy the land, not build anything, save tens of millions of dollars, still declare bankruptcy and still sell the land to the state
  6. The fact that No. 2 directly contradicts No. 5
  7. Implication that nothing is worse than THIRD-WORLD IMMIGRANTS
  8. Linkage of the U.S. with the "third world," which is driving me CRAZY during this election cycle -- HUGE pet peeve; I want to put a brick through my TV every time Trump says it
  9. Suggestion that Providence is such a terrible place that every development must necessarily end up as free housing for (gasp!) POOR PEOPLE
  10. Mocking use of "lol," one of my biggest C-D pet peeves -- God, I hate that
That is a very, very impressive amount of wrong in such a short post. I'm pretty sure I missed a couple, too.
*Slow Clap*

I was about to whip up a response to that post but you did it better. Nice post.

To support your case on number 1: Hotel building boom bringing 100,000 new rooms to U.S. cities . New Hotels are under construction at record pace.

The "Third World" comments would get me laughing every time if it weren't so sad that there are people out there who actually believe in that garbage. Everything looks like it's third world when your living room and your Boeing 757 are coated in a literal ton of gold leaf. But the rest of the population should know better.

The *clutches pearls* reaction to "poor people" or immigrants is disgusting.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:46 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,601,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
*Slow Clap*

I was about to whip up a response to that post but you did it better. Nice post.

To support your case on number 1: Hotel building boom bringing 100,000 new rooms to U.S. cities . New Hotels are under construction at record pace. .
Drug running and prostitution is what takes place in many hotels and motels.
If there is a "need" for more hotels and motels in the U.S, that's the Mexican
drug cartels moving in. Seen it myself in many cities, this and the prostitution.
Seen it in Providence and Portland, Springfield, Hartford..
But, you probably support illegal aliens and drugs, so there would be no objection,
oh, and I'm sure you're for prostitution also.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,461,036 times
Betcha heard that at a Trump rally. For those funfamiliar with snowball'so so callwd ideology, be sure to visit cd's so-called "politics" formum. They take the bark off of trees.

As far as constructing new anythings, that is an investment decision typically made on projected return on investment, so there'should a good chance we won'the be seeing swarthy Mexicans but rather CVS, Amica and FM Global bidness men camping out, conducting business, if in hideous structures.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:37 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,461,036 times
When is this place getting a mobile version? It's an experiment in terror using a mobile device here.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:40 PM

536 posts, read 846,282 times
I like Providence, a wonderful place with terrific people as far as I have seen. If they are building new affordable hotels, I applaud. I have stayed in several older Providence hotels for conferences, and they were nice, but a bit down at heels. A good mid-price chain with reliable services may not enhance the graceful Prov. neighborhoods, but they will at least be affordable and comfortable for visitors like me.

I do a lot of business travel and of course am not a night owl, but drug-running and prostitution are something I have seen in very few cities, and NEVER near a chain hotel. Not in Providence at all, either. Chains keep an eye on the reputation of their "brand."

I love Providence and hope that more travelers discover it.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 AM

23,670 posts, read 18,782,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
I
I do a lot of business travel and of course am not a night owl, but drug-running and prostitution are something I have seen in very few cities, and NEVER near a chain hotel. Not in Providence at all, either. Chains keep an eye on the reputation of their "brand."
True in the mid-higher end chains, but at the bottom end of the hotel hierarchy not so much. Motel 6, Econo Lodge, Super 8, Days Inn, Knights Inn, etc. are often troubled. Many of those start as a fresh new corporate-owned locations, but as they age they'll get spun off into franchise hotels run by "entrepreneurs" from overseas taking advantage of tax schemes. They are typically only motivated by profit. Of course some are responsible business owners, but overall there doesn't seem to be much oversight from the corporation. I think that is what people are worried about here. Especially in urban locations, those hotels tend to be magnets for trouble. What will start out as a Ramada, depending on how profitable it remains over the next 15 year or whatever cycle; may be downgraded to a Howard Johnson's, then as the standards deteriorate even further will become a Super 8; and may then get to the point that it can't even meet Super 8 standards and will become some no-name or an America's Best Value Inn, and I don't have to finish the rest of the story...

I do agree that the higher a bar set on architectural design, the less risk of that occurring is.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:42 AM

12,897 posts, read 22,068,557 times
Quote:
Drug running and prostitution is what takes place in many hotels and motels.
If there is a "need" for more hotels and motels in the U.S, that's the Mexican
drug cartels moving in. Seen it myself in many cities, this and the prostitution.
Seen it in Providence and Portland, Springfield, Hartford..
But, you probably support illegal aliens and drugs, so there would be no objection,
oh, and I'm sure you're for prostitution also.
What hotels do you frequent? The Mexican drug cartels? You think that the hotel demand in the United States is driven by Mexican drug cartels? You're trolling right? That's the only way to explain the sheer lunacy of this post. It takes a special level of paranoia to draw a connection for the support of new downtown hotels to support for illegal aliens, drugs and prostitution. A real special level of paranoia. If that's what you're seeing, I'd urge you to A) take the fear goggles off, and B) raise the bar when it comes to your hotel choices. 3+ star brand name hotels in city centers are monitored for seedy activity and require valid ID, and credit cards to be presented and authorized to book rooms. Illegals, cartels (I mean seariously?!), and prostitutes can't/won't easily produce either because they either don't have one/both or don't want to leave that kind of paper trail. Your post is a shining example of how so many people in this country have gone off the deep end with their fear/paranoia. Just wow.

*edit*
Why did I even bother wasting the keystrokes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island