Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 02:45 PM

3,789 posts, read 2,694,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I've never been to Oak Hill, so I can't comment. The parts of Pawtucket I have seen would not appeal to me at all.
Can you say what parts of Pawtucket you have been to, so we have some perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 03:06 PM

3,789 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
LOL ! I left in 2002, hardly decades or years ago. I'm packing as we speak; have a flight up to PVD this weekend, will check the roads and give you a report. In the interim, try to take some walks on Blackstone Blvd. for some fresh air, I'm hoping for a week of faux spring in RI.
Looks like the forecast is for a dreary, wintry weekend.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:45 PM

10,019 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Can you say what parts of Pawtucket you have been to, so we have some perspective?
Definitely around the stadium. And one time I was looking for a certain store that was supposed to be in Pawtucket and I got lost and ended up in Central Falls. I knew that was bad so I found my way back to some area of Pawtucket (don't know the section) that wasn't much better so I gave up & went home. Then one time last year my husband and I met another couple for dinner at a country club around Pawtucket (not sure it was actually in that city and I don't remember the name of the place) and we had to drive through another area of Pawtucket to get there.

Anyway, these places were all fairly sketchy. I'm not saying all parts of the city are, though.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Definitely around the stadium. And one time I was looking for a certain store that was supposed to be in Pawtucket and I got lost and ended up in Central Falls. I knew that was bad so I found my way back to some area of Pawtucket (don't know the section) that wasn't much better so I gave up & went home. Then one time last year my husband and I met another couple for dinner at a country club around Pawtucket (not sure it was actually in that city and I don't remember the name of the place) and we had to drive through another area of Pawtucket to get there.

Anyway, these places were all fairly sketchy. I'm not saying all parts of the city are, though.
Hardly a level of experience that someone looking to move here should take as advice. Immediately along Division Street, Prospect Street, or North Bend Street are sketchy, but the neighborhood between the stadium and the hospital is fine. I have a close family friend who lives near Pond Street and Rhode Island Avenue and has never considered it unsafe or in decline. And yes, there is a country club in Pawtucket (off Armistice Boulevard near the Seekonk line).

Old 03-18-2015, 06:36 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
And yes, there is a country club in Pawtucket (off Armistice Boulevard near the Seekonk line).
Most of it is actually in Seekonk, however.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:48 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Yes, it is named the "Pawtucket Country Club", and it borders the Ten Mile River in Pawtucket; and its address is "Central Ave" in Pawtucket. The golf course borders a short space on Newman Ave. in Seekonk, MA.

There is a nice older subdivision across from the Pawtucket Country Club and is known as "Countryside". Years ago it was "known" to be where the executives, lawyers, physicians and so forth resided and belonged to the Club; many homes were passed down by generation. It is still the only truly nice area in Pawtucket, on the border area of Seekonk, MA.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:13 PM

The address of the country club is 900 Armistice Boulevard. It doesn't come close to bordering Central Avenue.

Countryside is a nice neighborhood, but it's small, isolated, and doesn't have much in walking distance. I don't know exactly what your definition of "truly nice" is (aside from it being the opposite of "diversified"), but according to Zillow, Oak Hill is currently more expensive.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Countryside is a nice neighborhood, but it's small, isolated, and doesn't have much in walking distance.
I assume that if one lives there, they have the means for a vehicle as well.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 PM

Having a vehicle and having to use it all the time are different things.
Even the "diversified" people in the "sketchy" parts of Pawtucket tend to own vehicles.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:05 PM

367 posts, read 545,524 times
As another native Rhode Islander, I wouldn't recommend Pawtucket to anyone, particularly a newcomer. My grandparents lived there their whole lives, and even though I no longer reside in the state, I know the city quite well as I'm often home to visit. In my opinion, QuilterChick and massnative71 are correct in their comments.

I think East Providence, Cumberland, or Seekonk are better choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island