Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:52 PM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Only if you ask nicely.
Sure. Pretty please, Massnative71?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 04:05 PM

23,618 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Sure. Pretty please, Massnative71?
Now what was the question, again?

Old 03-17-2015, 04:09 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Luckily sold them all that we owned in the boom of the '80's.
Luckily indeed, for those of us who actually live there now -we bought our house in 1984. It's better now than it was then.

Quote:
Parents and grandparents similar, aunts & uncles, born and brought up, worked in, owned property, etc.

When it was a nice safe family oriented area.

What else would you like to know about Pawtucket?
Same with me; my children are fifth generation Pawtucket. If there's anything I need to know I'll ask a local instead of someone who left for North Carolina years ago. Anyone looking for advice on whether or not to move here should do the same.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:10 PM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times
Quote:
Now what was the question, again?
^ Sure thing, Massnative71. I can distill that for you too. Why won't you go West of Newport Avenue in Pawtucket, and when were you last in the city of Pawtucket to the West of Newport Avenue? Feel free to round to the nearest year.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
^ Sure thing, Massnative71. I can distill that for you too. Why won't you go West of Newport Avenue in Pawtucket, and when were you last in the city of Pawtucket to the West of Newport Avenue? Feel free to round to the nearest year.
1. Because it's deteriorating all around with Section 8 garbage. Areas like Oak Hill are boxed in by nasty ghetto areas, resulting in higher than average property crime as well as the quality-of-life lowering proximity of very unsavory elements that you cannot really totally avoid if you live on that small island.

2. October, I believe.

Want to meet me at Doherty's next time I'm in the area, I can fill you in on lots more.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
An advantage of Oak Hill is its proximity to the East Side of Providence, with its restaurants, bakeries, shopping, bookstores, etc.
Alas, the closest bookstores are in Wayland Square. But the are two libraries within a mile!

Old 03-17-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
1. Because it's deteriorating all around with Section 8 garbage. Areas like Oak Hill are boxed in by nasty ghetto areas, resulting in higher than average property crime as well as the quality-of-life lowering proximity of very unsavory elements that you cannot really totally avoid if you live on that small island.
I'm not boxed in by anything. The housing stock isn't as pretty north of Lyman or west of Blodgett, but it's nowhere near ghetto. My quality of life has been just fine.

As far as property crime, I had a handtruck stolen off my porch about 20 years ago. A couple of people in the neighborhood have had visible things stolen from unlocked cars over the past few years, but I wouldn't call it "higher than average." But anyone actually thinking of moving here shouldn't just listen to anecdotes for or against when they can look up the actual types, frequencies, and locations of crime - RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

Old 03-17-2015, 04:30 PM

And as far as Darlington goes, I see that crimes in the past six months are few and far between, and are mostly vandalism.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I'm not boxed in by anything. The housing stock isn't as pretty north of Lyman or west of Blodgett, but it's nowhere near ghetto. My quality of life has been just fine.

As far as property crime, I had a handtruck stolen off my porch about 20 years ago. A couple of people in the neighborhood have had visible things stolen from unlocked cars over the past few years, but I wouldn't call it "higher than average." But anyone actually thinking of moving here shouldn't just listen to anecdotes for or against when they can look up the actual types, frequencies, and locations of crime - RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing
Looks wonderful.

Try going 1/2 a mile past either of those streets, and tell me what you see.

Glad you're happy there, wish everybody was where they live. But please don't try to sugarcoat the reality of the surrounding environs to one whom we don;t know nor where they come from.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
And as far as Darlington goes, I see that crimes in the past six months are few and far between, and are mostly vandalism.
It's definitely been on a downward slide for some time now. Remember the crime "stats" don;t always tell the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island