Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 PM

174 posts, read 503,981 times

Advertisements

I currently attend an online transfer program and there are a list of colleges that will take an automatic transfer with smooth transfer of credits. Obviously I could transfer to just about any college but there are a limited number that are guaranteed to take all my credits. Johnson and Wales is one of them.

I have a 4.0 so I'm thinking scholarships may factor in. I'll be over 24 so I'll be a non-traditional student.

Anybody ever went to Johnson and Wales or know anybody who did? Is it a reputable school?

If so what is Providence like and Rhode Island in general?

I am from the Midwest, so I understand it may be more expensive than life here. However I understand Rhode Island is less wealthy than Connecticut or Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM

1,202 posts, read 2,674,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
Anybody ever went to Johnson and Wales or know anybody who did? Is it a reputable school?
To answer your second question: No. And, it is not reputable to the tune of about $30 K a year (sans housing). I'm sure you'll get the standard "But it's a great cooking school" from some posters ... again, for $30 K a year. Sorry, there are much better options available to someone like you (don't know where you're from in the Midwest, but UW, UI, Michigan, etc., are all fabulous land-grant colleges, if you choose to stay local).

Do yourself a favor and - if you want to go to RI - attend a good state school like URI. Out-of-state tuition is about the same as JW, but you'd get a quality education in a very comfortable, nice setting.

To put it bluntly, there is absolutely no "carrot" that JWU could dangle in front of you, including automatic transfer, that would make it worth attending.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 14,948,144 times
That's pretty harsh. I wouldn't give it a blanket "don't go"! I do think there are other options of course but I know people who went there, were happy with the quality of their education and who also got good jobs as a result. It is primarily a business school and the school is operated as a business.

What would you be studying?

Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
That's pretty harsh. I wouldn't give it a blanket "don't go"! I do think there are other options of course but I know people who went there, were happy with the quality of their education and who also got good jobs as a result. It is primarily a business school and the school is operated as a business.

What would you be studying?
Not harsh at all. Just the unvarnished truth, something that is often sorely missing on this particular forum. It's a gahbige college. How's that for clarity?!?

Any other option, excluding a for-profit like U. of Phoenix, would be a better choice. This person is seriously considering relocating from over 500 miles away to go to JW. I'm sure there are many others who have made the same mistake who would have welcomed this advice before wasting 10s of thousands of their hard-earned money on the place.

As is often the case, Holly, take off the rose-colored glasses. You'll see a lot more clearly.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 14,948,144 times
Like I said, I know people who were happy they went and got good jobs. That is less tinted (or tainted) than your blanket condemnation.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM

688 posts, read 2,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
I have a 4.0 so I'm thinking scholarships may factor in. I'll be over 24 so I'll be a non-traditional student.

The culinary arts program is supposedly decent but the pricetag is steep. I don't know enough about that industry to gauge whether it's indeed worth the money. If that's not what you're going there for I'd keep on looking.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,060,239 times
[quote=ARPARP;30695325]I currently attend an online transfer program and there are a list of colleges that will take an automatic transfer with smooth transfer of credits. Obviously I could transfer to just about any college but there are a limited number that are guaranteed to take all my credits. Johnson and Wales is one of them.

When we are lucky enough to go to the Carribean, when we tell locals where we are from often they will respond with "that's where our ...... went to school at J & W". This just happened at Turks and Caicos. The school has a good reputation for culinary and the hospitality industry. Both important to areas that only have tourism as their main industry. If you are not into either program, then J & W is a waste of money. BTW, they also have campuses in North Carolina and Florida.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,002,074 times
And Denver.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,072,850 times
If you are in hospitality then maybe it's a reasonable choice, otherwise no. There was a great article recently on the Food Republic site where some iconic Chefs debated whether or not culinary school was worth the price tag.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM

Queue the inevitable short-order cook responses, right on time ...

ARPAPR: Do yourself a huge favor and look elsewhere. Surely your credits aren't so bad that you have to stoop as low as JWU. I'm sure you can get into a reputable college somewhere. You'll thank yourself later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island