Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM

220 posts, read 763,838 times

Advertisements

So don't post that there are other threads about this because those threads are about the culinary program. NOT what for what I am looking.

I was accepted to JWU in Rhode Island for the hospitality program. I now live in Denver and yes I do know there is a branch here, but not for the specific program I am looking.

I just wanted to see if anybody knows anything about the college of hospitality and see what they think about it

class sizes
teachers actually teaching opposed to TAs
extra help
living situations
studying abroad
student life

anything at all!

try not to scare me too badly please

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 PM

583 posts, read 1,326,995 times
The only thing I know is that, imo we are lucky to have hospitality student/professionals in RI's tourism and hospitality industry. Our bars, restaurants, hotels, and resorts are well staffed with them, and I think its part of the reason why people find RI and RI'ers friendly and welcoming. Like many things in RI, somewhat taken for granted. RI is a fun state, and there is a lot to see and do in New England. Providence is urban and diverse, but good sized, manageable and generally very safe.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,844 times
Default JWU Student

i got to jwu, im a senior majoring in hospitality specifically sports entertainment/event/management. coming from ny and moving to providence was a huge difference, it is slow here in rhode island but you still can have alot of fun. jwu has two campuses in ri, one is the harborside(which is huge) for culinary students and downtown for the rest of the majors. providence is very diverse city, with asians, italians, portuguese, cape verdeans, dominicans, etc. the night life is great here, withing a 3-5 mile radius, jwu is close to brown university and providence college so thursday night-saturday night downtown is the place to be for any college student. one thing u might dislike about rhode island is the weather, which is very inconsistent. one week it can be 75 the whole week, the next rainy (when it rains out here, it rains like no other, especially when the wind is blowing) i went through about 5 umbrellas i first year here cause the rain and wind broke them lol. class sizes: the max class size is 40 students, most of my classes seem to be around 25-30, cause of my major. culinary classes are always packed. i never had a problem getting a teachers attention or even remembering my name. help: help shouldn't even be a problem. from 8am-10pm they have the learning center which is there to help u with anything from accounting, chemistry, to simple grammar mistakes and its all free. u can even make reservations ahead of time. all professors will give u their phone/email to contact them for any concerns over school, alot them u have to schedule up a meeting with them out of class to get that full one-on-one time with them. there should never be an excuse why anyone cant help u at jwu. living situations: dorm life is cool freshman and sophmore, you will have a choice of staying either at the harborside or either downtown. if u dont mind sharing bathrooms and living wit 3-4 people it shouldnt be a problem. i prefer the downtown campus because your in the heart of providence. if your looking for your own apartment, look for one in the east side of providence. very beautiful, mellow and relaxed part of providence filled with a alot brown university students and career people. studying abroad: i know its here at jwu, but never really gotten into. they have a jwu campus in sweden and some students go over their to study abroad. student life: there are always activities going on at jwu. if your an outgoing person then you won't have a problem enjoying yourself. alot of places you can get into free with just your jwu id. all students take the bus free here in ri which travels almost throughout the state. clubs and frats/sororities are also here. one thing about jwu is that the clubs here do alot of volunteering, and this is to get u more hands on experience in your field of study. the more, the better you are for that dream job u want in the future. overall, jwu is a good school. one thing i like about it is that jwu is not your regular, read books and study school. majority of the classes are hands on. for example, a hospitality class i had to take was trade show. in trade show we take a mid-term, final exam, a directed work project, and the biggie, put on a real life trade show. the first 4 weeks of this class was just lecture, mid-term and read on your own. from weeks 5-10 ur on your own with your groups, planning and putting on this trade show which is not easy but, its very fun. it gives you a real insight on what really has to be done to put on a trade show. the directed work project is simply u volunteering to trade show and once again, getting alot of hands on experience, the directed work project is mandatory for the class. at jwu they give u many opportunities, its just up to YOU to take advantage of them and to go on and succeed.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM

220 posts, read 763,838 times
TRK! I dont know if you could have given me better answers if I asked for them! Are you sure you don't work for JWU in admissions? Ha ha

Well thank you for all the information! I sent in my registration fee yesterday and am VERY excited to get started in March.

I am a few credits shy of being in the last semester of my sophmore year, so I plan on NOT living on campus, so I guess its the east side of providence I'll be looking at. Any more suggestions on living areas? I'll be having a roommate and my two kitties joining me so two bed that allows pets would be grand. I did hear through the grapevine that it is really hard to find any apartments in the beginning of the year because they all fill up in September when school goes back in session. Any comments on that?

Thank you thank you thank you so much for all of your words!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island