Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 01:41 PM

747 posts, read 579,155 times

Advertisements

Those of you over 60, how do you cope with the stress of major goals you have/ had, and failure to achieve them? (If you do not have any goals then it doesn't matter.)

Goals such as marriage-, higher education, career achievement, money, even love. I do NOT mean buying a new car or making more friends, or getting fit or vacationing.

HOPE you can say, but you yourself may know when it is time to forget about it .Lower expectations? Sure, but what if your expectations are already very low. The old saying be happy you have your health doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 02:09 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Outside of not being an NBA all-star which was my teenage goal, I pretty much exceeded my goas and expectations in most areas. I guess when it comes to a few friends and family that are obscenely rich, I guess a part of me is a bit jealous and wonder if I should have continued working for a few more years to pad the wealth.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:22 PM

7,429 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Having no pride, accepting defeat, disappointments, negative is part of the Ying and the Yang circel of life. "Wear it proud so it can't be used against you." - Tyrion

Also acceptance that you can only control your life and not of others even if you think you should because you want to help them. I can guide them but the rest is up to them. After that, hakuna matata.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:40 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Those of you over 60, how do you cope with the stress of major goals you have/ had, and failure to achieve them? (If you do not have any goals then it doesn't matter.)

Goals such as marriage-, higher education, career achievement, money, even love. I do NOT mean buying a new car or making more friends, or getting fit or vacationing.

HOPE you can say, but you yourself may know when it is time to forget about it .Lower expectations? Sure, but what if your expectations are already very low. The old saying be happy you have your health doesn't work.
Good questions.

Marriage: Honestly, I had given up on marriage. The man I was living with was distant, self-centered and never cracked a smile. A family wedding was in the works and I wouldn't have gone except that I adored his mother. How did such a nice woman give birth to this guy?

So he came home one day and asked me to marry him. An eyebrow-raising request, to be sure. We showed up at the wedding as newlyweds. Aww, sweet...right?

Fast-forward to 15 years later, when my 65 year old spouse informed me that he had married me only because his mother had twisted his arm. One iteration wasn't enough, I guess, so he told me the story two more times.

If marriage was a goal, I was cheated out of it. I'm 69 now, so I'd be fine with living alone.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:49 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Eventually I got to the point I didn't dwell on them. I'm also not very introspective so I don't revisit issues I've put away. To do so would start a downward spiral.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:52 PM

21 posts, read 19,102 times
I am 51, never married though I wanted to be. However, time over time my guys turned out to not be husband material.

I am disappointed but have made a conscious choice not to lament what did not happen in the past. For me the path to joy is to relentlessly seek out all of the amazing things about my life and the world around me.

Now is all we have.

I wish you all the best, OP.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
1) depending upon how old you are right now, you'll be dead soon, and the unfulfilled goals and associated psychological and emotional pain will not matter at all.

2) life has emotional pain for a good number of people - it's a given - so one has to choose to be thankful for what one has in life focusing on the positive things

3) yes, one can be a failure in certain ways - and during old age failures can be highlighted - apparently you certainly are not alone in this feeling - just a couple days go, an acquaintance expressed the same thing you expressed - also he feels he did not conduct his life in the best way and should have spent his time on other things

4) yes, hope can disintegrate in older age. I do believe it is too late for some things. (others will argue that there is always hope)

5) to counteract feelings of unfulfilled goals and even failures, try filling your mind with ideas - seek out ideas to think about. Read. extensively. And do things you enjoy.

6) focus on nature, and enjoy nature....in depth

Old 01-31-2023, 03:45 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I started off in a great career with a lot of potential, made some dumb job choices. Got married to the first person who asked because I wanted to be married, it wasn't a good match but we stuck it out 19 years. Ended up surprisingly marrying again and have been in love and happy for 21 years, with 5 married kids and lots of grandbabies.

But career wise and money wise, well, it's usually been a struggle. Retirement has been pushed out five more years, at least, while we make up losses from covid.

I just look at it as "it is what it is." No coulda, woulda, shoulda from me. No one's life is perfect, I'm okay with the challenges we have.

Old 01-31-2023, 04:02 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I move on. I was trying to become a PGA tpuring pro, but I wasnt good enugh, so I went to college and got a biz degree. I ate crow and went to work in corp America, until I could start my own biz.

Corp America sux, so glad I made it on my own.

My only regret is that I failed to fire corp America sooner. I wasted way too much energy on those losers.

Old 01-31-2023, 04:16 PM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Life happens. I think most folks can look back on things that could've gone 'better'. Nowadays I see people that can't walk and realize how grateful I should be that I get to complain my knees hurt sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement