Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 01:34 PM

1,108 posts, read 530,029 times

Advertisements

I am so glad not having to deal with the woke and political bs thats everywhere or those damn crybabies employees that want every other day off for a hangnail issue, clean the cat box or god forbid have to actually go into a office.

Congrats and the first morning will be like you reborn - report back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 03:30 PM

161 posts, read 128,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
I am so glad not having to deal with the woke and political bs thats everywhere or those damn crybabies employees that want every other day off for a hangnail issue, clean the cat box or god forbid have to actually go into a office.

Congrats and the first morning will be like you reborn - report back.
Yes I can't wait. I actually only have 19 more work days as I have leave time and holidays

Old 12-07-2022, 05:44 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,169,132 times
Congrats!!

As our old manager said after retirement….”there is nothing better than a deposit into your checking account every month and no alarm clock”.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:19 PM

5,243 posts, read 6,167,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I had a boss that did just that, on his office wall. He started it over 10 years before the retirement date.

I hung 24 paperclips for each month left to my retirement. When I first hung them my employees would notice and ask about them. It was so surreal when I got down to two. I was so prepared but as the weeks dwindled to days a feeling I can’t describe came over me. 37 years was a lot to close the door on instantly and the realization that I had waited a lifetime for this day to come was euphoric.

Congratulations Grace

Old 12-07-2022, 10:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
19 (18) days remaining= >4 Mondays! That should be a breeze
Make a quick get-away.

One of my managers of 40+ yrs service went home one Friday, ran the numbers - and never came back. Not even to clean out desk or files. Just, Poof - gone. We stay in touch. It's how he wanted to go, and I've always done the same. Only the boss knows I'm leaving, then one day I'm gone.

Each situation and person is different, so enjoy your exit, by fanfare or stealth.

Make your exit day special for you. Each time I've retired, I head directly on a trip to National Parks. I don't even go home, just hit the road. It's so nice to no longer have a leash. Some days I have Zero emails or phone calls. What an improvement!

Old 12-07-2022, 11:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,087,229 times
Congratulations.
I counted the days the last 4 years of work until my retirement.
I’ve been officially retired since May.
Financially I am well prepared.
Mentally not so much.
I have lots of activities but I’m just not ready to shut it down.
I also hate being a house husband.
I am now counting the days to get back to work.
My new job starts Monday so I’m down to 5.

Old 12-08-2022, 05:07 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,386,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Congratulations.
I counted the days the last 4 years of work until my retirement.
I’ve been officially retired since May.
Financially I am well prepared.
Mentally not so much.
I have lots of activities but I’m just not ready to shut it down.
I also hate being a house husband.
I am now counting the days to get back to work.
My new job starts Monday so I’m down to 5.
I hear ya, same boat, found a "side hustle" that I could leave tomorrow if I choose to do so, feeling empowered.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:23 PM

473 posts, read 548,881 times
Congrats. 5 yrs more for me sadly. I do play pretend after 5pm and weekends.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:58 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,198,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
Congrats. 5 yrs more for me sadly. I do play pretend after 5pm and weekends.
Sometimes before bed, I try to imagine what my day would have been like had I been retired. I can't do it. It's an unimaginable state of being because I've worked non-stop for so long. I try to imagine the bit removed, and the paddock gate opened wide. I can't get past the first few minutes of that pretty fantasy, but just this first part feels nice.

If you have 5 more years, it's a good time to focus on your finances, because you still have time to beef up that nest egg and get your house in order for retirement (if needed). It will come sooner than you think.

Old 12-08-2022, 02:39 PM

2,352 posts, read 617,909 times
Personally, I am hoping for one more promotion before I retire - If I get the one, I interviewed on Tuesday - I will work almost 4 more years. I need my high 3 salary years to be at least $65,000 to get a decent pension/annuity - plus, staying until 62 (I'm 58 now) I get 10% more in my annuity. If I don't get a promotion by end of 2023, I may pull the plug then. I'll decide at that point.

Congratulations Grace!! I am very happy for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement