Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 03:42 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
you need to count in the building, labor, and other overhead for depositor. The loan client in comparison is cheap, until he defaults.
Different issue ….we are only talking what they do with your money and earn off it …
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 05:22 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have a growth and income account that I have had for roughly 4 decades, I have recently added more money to it since the passing of my parents and selling the house. I had put a chunk of the money into the G & I account and it was doing fine, making lots of money and I was very happy, sadly, like everything else in this economy, the balance had gone down around 25K, so, needless to say, I'm sick over this.

I do remember way back when, it had done something similar, but as a friend at the time said, leave it, you don't need the money now, you have many more years for that, it will go back up again, to which it did...

So, I am still thinking not to panic, just leave the account, because it will go back up again, I know this, I like to think, but when I do my daily balances, I am not so happy, as is a lot of other people.
The rest of the money I had out into CD accounts, as at 60, I feel they were safer.

Im hoping the economy gets better and we can all start making money again. I'm not ready to retire as of yet, I have 5 -10 more years to go, so, it isn't like I'm depending on just this money...
however, no one likes to see things go down..... **sigh***

At my age, I'm thinking CD's are the best way to make money (I have several).......

Remember, you've lost nothing until you cash out

Old 02-04-2022, 06:34 PM

371 posts, read 308,674 times
Sorry for the delay. Cocktail hour with the wife.

Now watching the opening ceremonies.

What i'm trying to relay is that each individual has to do what they think is best for their "retirement"

For some, taking the risk of equities, is needed ... even with the risk.

For others, taking a higher risk it is not necessary.

History results in not a predictor of the future returns. No one should be made to feel bad being a conservative.

Each investment is a risk. Some investments have a higher risk than others.

I've always been a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. Others are willing to risk the bird in the hand for the 2 in the bush. Each individual has to do what is best for them.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Remember, you've lost nothing until you cash out
Not true …down is down . All we do is hope we bounce back but in any case sell or not your net worth takes the same hit until if and when it does come back . you can hold dog forever and it is still down .

If I have a loss selling my S&P fund and ride a total market fund back up , selling is irrelevant or not , it is the same recovery back.

But if I sell out and go to a less capable asset like cash or short term bonds , then I have no chance of riding things back.

It isn’t whether you sell or not , but it is your choice in what you will ride back up . It can be the same or another capable choice…

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-05-2022 at 02:51 AM..

Old 02-05-2022, 10:32 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
I have a growth and income account that I have had for roughly 4 decades, I have recently added more money to it since the passing of my parents and selling the house. I had put a chunk of the money into the G & I account and it was doing fine, making lots of money and I was very happy, sadly, like everything else in this economy, the balance had gone down around 25K, so, needless to say, I'm sick over this.

I do remember way back when, it had done something similar, but as a friend at the time said, leave it, you don't need the money now, you have many more years for that, it will go back up again, to which it did...

So, I am still thinking not to panic, just leave the account, because it will go back up again, I know this, I like to think, but when I do my daily balances, I am not so happy, as is a lot of other people.
The rest of the money I had out into CD accounts, as at 60, I feel they were safer.

Im hoping the economy gets better and we can all start making money again. I'm not ready to retire as of yet, I have 5 -10 more years to go, so, it isn't like I'm depending on just this money...

At my age, I'm thinking CD's are the best way to make money (I have several).......
Unless your growth and income fund is a tanker it will return. I have had similar for over 4 decades and it has gone down and back up over the years losing as much as you or more but in the end it has increased far more than what we put in. If you don't need it now, don't worry about it.

Edit to add beginning of Covid my stocks and funds lost a lot, by year end they were back up and surpassing the 2020 high in January.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:46 AM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Different issue ….we are only talking what they do with your money and earn off it …
at one time, and couple of other times, major banks and a few other banks, and Savings and Loans (very few around now) took your deposit, to bolster their reserves. To loan out the money was verboten.

Hard to believe the Credit Crisis is 15 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:24 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdean View Post
I'm in fixed income and sure didn't lose 7%. In fact, did a lot better than folks in stocks. I'm sure you are making a general statement and being "selective" on a particular investment in trying to prove your point, but your way is not the best way for many retirees.

Just saying.
In no way did you do better than the "folks in stocks" unless looking at very short and "selective" time frame. If consider inflation those that invested in only fixed interest rates most did lose value. I am guessing your "fixed income" is really not fixed interest.

Just FYI - The S&P 500 index is what often is used as proxy for stock investment returns.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:53 PM

371 posts, read 308,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
In no way did you do better than the "folks in stocks" unless looking at very short and "selective" time frame. If consider inflation those that invested in only fixed interest rates most did lose value. I am guessing your "fixed income" is really not fixed interest.

Just FYI - The S&P 500 index is what often is used as proxy for stock investment returns.
Well, you would have to read.

In previous discussions the 7% loss was in reference to 2022 so far.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:10 PM

Real returns are starting out at minus 7% so every point you make is starting from within the hole … if your total return is not at least 7% you are at a loss real return wise

Old 02-05-2022, 11:31 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:

you've reach the stage where we were, 14 years ago this month.

Why did the Oregon Public Employees Retirement (O-PERS)program so good? One of the best pension plans in the Nation and a top 10 pension fund in the US, not only public entities but also private entities, in a population of 4mill?
Why did Unions fight harder for pension benefits more than wage increases.
Why some people loved 401ks. Why some people loved pensions.
We've been unlucky in 2000 & 2001, 2007-8 when we had accumulated a good amount in mutual funds and a handful of stocks.

started to play around with, Firecalc Sim. then later, I-orp.
Asked myself what's going to happen to our retirement funds planned for 2009 early retirement, and the Market hadn't recovered?
What would happen IF the Market takes x years to get back to 2007 values?
What things can I control? What things I cannot control in the future and retirement?

YQMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement