Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 10:19 AM

4,314 posts, read 6,013,410 times

Advertisements

I emailed our HR Rep today asking how the Retirement process is initiated. I learned it only requires an email to her and my Managers stating my planned retirement date. Seems an odd procedure to me. July 1 will be my official retirement date with a last day worked of no later than June 30th - driven only by remaining earned Vacation Balance at that time.

The email is drafted and sitting in my Out Box until after the departmental 1pm Meeting today.

The crap I have endured over the past month was the final straw.
  • Under-sized final Raise (slid backwards on the pay scale for the first time in my career!),
  • Raise awarded on per Month basis rather than lump sum so that I can only collect 1/3 of the small full amount prior to my planned departure (Managers knew I was planning to leave mid-year),
  • Blocked from inputting OT on the Time Sheets as is done my all my co-workers for additional hours worked,
  • Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 10:31 AM

17,774 posts, read 30,195,619 times
So, Roger, what did you learn from this?
Never, ever, telegraph your intentions in advance.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:50 AM

44,288 posts, read 19,207,947 times
I was on very good terms with my manager. And so I let him know what I had planned well in advance. And he kept it to himself. No one knew until I gave my 30 day notice to HR.

Everything you posted above is exactly what my manager told me would happen if anyone knew in advance that I was retiring.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:18 AM

15,263 posts, read 13,174,777 times
At this rate, Roger's retirement party is going to be one cupcake and a balloon.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:46 PM

4,314 posts, read 6,013,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
At this rate, Roger's retirement party is going to be one cupcake and a balloon.
Less than that, at my insistence! The last retirement party hosted here was so lame it was embarrassing to even attend.

Hey, I was a manager in my previous career. I consider it appropriate to notify your managers in advance so they have an opportunity to plan. Usually they don't plan, but that is on them and not me. And too often it does not work out to the leaving individual's benefit.

But my co-workers who remain, and who possibly received a little bit more money as I got screwed over, will be inheriting a whole lot of work to be done while I am enjoying myself NOT working! My wife is far more upset than me.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,655,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

I emailed our HR Rep today asking how the Retirement process is initiated. I learned it only requires an email to her and my Managers stating my planned retirement date. Seems an odd procedure to me.
[/list]
One's retirement is often a MUCH bigger deal to the retiree than to the workplace.

Most people (or many) are expendable and replaceable.

I realize some people have special skills. Still true.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,915,644 times
I say congrats, it’s time to retire.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:20 PM

23,881 posts, read 19,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I emailed our HR Rep today asking how the Retirement process is initiated. I learned it only requires an email to her and my Managers stating my planned retirement date. Seems an odd procedure to me. July 1 will be my official retirement date with a last day worked of no later than June 30th - driven only by remaining earned Vacation Balance at that time.

The email is drafted and sitting in my Out Box until after the departmental 1pm Meeting today.

The crap I have endured over the past month was the final straw.
  • Under-sized final Raise (slid backwards on the pay scale for the first time in my career!),
  • Raise awarded on per Month basis rather than lump sum so that I can only collect 1/3 of the small full amount prior to my planned departure (Managers knew I was planning to leave mid-year),
  • Blocked from inputting OT on the Time Sheets as is done my all my co-workers for additional hours worked,
  • Etc.
Having a hard time sympathizing.

You could have not gotten a raise at all; lump sum or otherwise.
You could have been fired after giving notice, not retired.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:22 PM

112 posts, read 52,147 times
I also say congrats. It's time to go.
I let my supervisor know at the end of Feb that I was going in April. (I had a health issue, and it wasn't a big surprise, but I gave her enough advance notice so she'd know. I was not expecting a pay increase or anything, so that works out.) I'll be using 2 weeks of annual leave (paid) after my final day in the office 4/10. Official retirement date 4/25. (end of payperiod). That way I'll get a full paycheck after 4/25. I work for the government and have to wait until they completely process my paperwork before I get the 'final' annuity amount (which is nothing, but I am still grateful, because it will pay for me to continue my health insurance)....and I don't depend on it for expenses. Until they finish their end, I'll get a partial payment. No idea how long the delay will be, which is a bit scary, but which I'll weather.
No party, no fanfare. We are all sequestered - I don't mind though. I'm ready to move on.
The funniest part of the whole thing was when I was told they will still want 6 of my cases to review for April before I leave. You want 6 cases when I only work 7 days in April?? LOL (I have Friday 4/3 off). Whatever!

Last edited by Riley2; 03-30-2020 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: typing

Old 03-30-2020, 01:46 PM

10,418 posts, read 8,140,958 times
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! (And I mean that sincerely!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement