Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 01:48 PM

997 posts, read 710,089 times

Advertisements

Why not leave now? If you are upset about how they treated you, why stay on? Only if is a major difference in benefits I can see staying till July. Don't worry about work, others will inherit your work and be just fine. Mgt are not worried about you (as per your grievances listed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 01:55 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,149 times
Enjoy your retirement Roger, it's great !!

I was self employed and when I decided to retire I said " that's it, I can't work for you any longer, I quit " and then I started arguing with myself and said "if you don't like working for me, then quit, retire, I don't care" then I told myself to "go to hell you slave driver" and I walked out. That was 15 years ago, best thing I ever did. I could never figure out how I could have worked for myself that long.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Why not leave now? If you are upset about how they treated you, why stay on? Only if is a major difference in benefits I can see staying till July. Don't worry about work, others will inherit your work and be just fine. Mgt are not worried about you (as per your grievances listed).

How much vacation do you have?

Today + vacation = 'new 'exit date'... poof - GONE

Good friend (high level manager with 38 yrs service and over 400 employees) got fed up, calculated exit date on the weekend,
Emailed HR, never came back to clean his desk. poof - GONE

Once you have decided, best to be gone. (You will not be honored / appreciated by whimpy bosses) The sooner you are out of their hair, the better (for their agenda... which never included YOU)

Congrats,
Have fun

R-E-L-A-X (a Tense EXIT is Not with the stress... it could kill you)

Old 03-30-2020, 02:53 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Retired a year earlier than planned when I discovered that an extra year of high stress would net me about $75.00 more per month as a retiree.

Sold my house and virtually all of my "stuff" and moved to Maui. Four years later after "trying it out" I bought a condo here and plan on staying for life. The added bonus is that the retirement job I found is the BEST job I've ever had. Love my new life here!

I am a believer in the phrase: "Change is good!" If I had retired and stayed where I was, my health would have gone downhill fast. Instead, I am looking out at the ocean and Molokai as I type this (and hoping to dodge the Corona virus).

I recommend that you quit ASAP and perhaps look into a location change. It can work wonders!

Old 03-30-2020, 02:59 PM

962 posts, read 612,499 times
Congrats on you July 1 retirement, Roger.

March 31 would be a better date though.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:08 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,934,274 times
Vacation days remaining, assuming my mid-year departure, is around 10. But vacation is earned as you go so leaving earlier cuts it further.

I have two projects about to enter construction phase so, for personal pride only, I want to see those fully completed. Target completion is mid to late May, then the close-up paperwork to follow.

I may not be completely finished with everything by July 1st, but darn close.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I retired 3 yrs ago, they found out when I didn't come back.
Funny thing is they emailed me 2 months ago asking me to come back and help them with their situation.
I would but I've moved 500 miles north to Maine from Boston, had major cancer surgery and 2 heart attacks, but I miss the action.

If you rest, you rust.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:34 PM

155 posts, read 119,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Vacation days remaining, assuming my mid-year departure, is around 10. But vacation is earned as you go so leaving earlier cuts it further.

I have two projects about to enter construction phase so, for personal pride only, I want to see those fully completed. Target completion is mid to late May, then the close-up paperwork to follow.

Oh my goodness personal projects be damned! You’ve already mentioned that they are not treating you well, do you really think those projects are going to make that big a difference? Obviously this is all up to you but my personal experience was that I had originally planned to retire in September 2017 for much the same reasons, wanting to finish out the fiscal year, I wanted to finish some projects, I felt personal responsibility for a lot of the clients that I was working with. Then management started to get snarky, very demanding and micromanaging everyone.

I was DONE! I gave notice and was out of there in April 2017. Best decision I ever made I do not regret it one bit. On a sidenote those projects that I had going and took so much pride in? They found a replacement for me ASAP LOL it was as if I had never been there. And I worked there for over 35 years.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:17 PM

938 posts, read 423,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Enjoy your retirement Roger, it's great !!

I was self employed and when I decided to retire I said " that's it, I can't work for you any longer, I quit " and then I started arguing with myself and said "if you don't like working for me, then quit, retire, I don't care" then I told myself to "go to hell you slave driver" and I walked out. That was 15 years ago, best thing I ever did. I could never figure out how I could have worked for myself that long.
That’s just funnier than heck right there!

Old 03-31-2020, 03:19 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

If your company is treating you badly now it will only get worse as time goes on to the point where you may be treated as invisible and bypassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement