Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 06:14 PM

23,343 posts, read 29,223,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I try to keep things as normal as possible.

The worst thing you can do is marinate yourself in constant news coverage.
Worrying is a negative emotion designed to lower your immune system, making you more susceptible. So go ahead and worry yourself sick about this and its self-defeating, exercise in futility.

I haven't watched any televised news coverage for at least 15 years, but what have I gained by being on CD.com and buying magazines instead. It puts me right back to Start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 06:16 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,241,392 times
I haven’t been anxious or stressed BUT it’s obviously impacting me when I sleep and I am grinding my teeth or clenching ( never ever had this problem before) because I have started to get a sore jaw and feels like it’s going to lock.
Anxiety and stress does weird things to our body, even when we think we are handling things well. However it doesn’t hurt to check it out with the doctor.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:37 PM

5,470 posts, read 4,110,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I haven’t been anxious or stressed BUT it’s obviously impacting me when I sleep and I am grinding my teeth or clenching ( never ever had this problem before) because I have started to get a sore jaw and feels like it’s going to lock.
Anxiety and stress does weird things to our body, even when we think we are handling things well. However it doesn’t hurt to check it out with the doctor.

I store up tension in my throat/neck area. Add to that post nasal drip so it feels like I have a sore throat, hypochondria, and I feel like I'm ready for the scrap heap. But it goes away overnight, I wake up, swallow, no sore throat, and I can keep my anxiety down for another day.

I don't have a TV so I get my news from the internet. I limit it to checking Yahoo News (I know, not great) in the morning and that's it. If I hear anything on FB or from the forums here, I might check it out.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:28 PM

6,894 posts, read 11,286,295 times
Default Is anyone on Pradaxa?

My husband still has to research it but is anyone on this?

Old 03-31-2020, 05:21 AM

6,788 posts, read 5,529,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband still has to research it but is anyone on this?
Pradaxa?

A blood thinner to thin blood and reduce the risk of stroke due to AFib?

Or for other cardiac issues?

Yeah, I've been on it for two years.

What about it?

No problems, but I do have to stop taking it 3-5 days before a surgery or any surgical procedure, such as my injections.

So.. what's your questions?

Ok, so I went backwards and read your previous post.

If he has heart issues, it's best to follow the Dr s orders and take the pradaxa.

Pradaxa is one blood thinner that DOESN'T require constant blood tests to monitor the dosage.

Pradaxa is one thinner that CAN be stopped in advance of a surgery or surgical procedure. To reduce the risk of bleeding out during the surgery or proceedure

If he/you don't like the idea of a medicine, ask the cardiologist about taking a baby or regular aspirin. However, aspirin in constant use can cause other problems. Such as stomach irritation or creating ulcers. Aspirin us still a medication though.

If he has cardiac issues that REQUIRES a medication to reduce dying of, or of having a stroke, you might want him to REALLY TAKE IT.

UNLESS you want him to have a major stroke or die.

No matter how you feel about "taking no meds".

Best to you.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 03-31-2020 at 05:33 AM..

Old 03-31-2020, 06:24 AM

35,229 posts, read 31,569,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Worrying is a negative emotion designed to lower your immune system, making you more susceptible. So go ahead and worry yourself sick about this and its self-defeating, exercise in futility.

I haven't watched any televised news coverage for at least 15 years, but what have I gained by being on CD.com and buying magazines instead. It puts me right back to Start!
I don't even have the news on this morning.

I know it's still out there. It didn't disappear overnight. I know it's bad. There's nothing I can do aside from attempting to protect myself, work during the week, and just wait it out.

My personal schedule has been topsy-turvy since this all began. I slept awful Sunday night. I made a frozen dinner last night, watched the news, and was in bed by 7:30. I woke up around 11 and dozed back off around 2 according to my watch. I slept until I had to get up at 7:30 this morning.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:31 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,846,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I disagree. Information is power. Knowledge is power.

One of the worst aspects is to be uninformed or ill-informed.

Nothing wrong with the news coverage. Watch the best sources.
Kudos. I'm with you. I want every bit of information about this. I view it through a clinical eye rather an emotional one. I'm not stressed about this at all. We have to grocery shop once in awhile and I know how to keep us safe. The biggest pain is not seeing my friends and the shorties. I'm also very grateful for a loving relationship with my husband, having plenty of food, my Joe Joe, and social media. Yes this is bad, a nightmare, but we will get through this. I remember the hell I went through in 2018 with the broken arm and shattered wrist, and the 5 months of agonizing rehab. Keep your eye on the prize my therapist kept telling me.

Keep your eye on the prize.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 AM

Smile He didn't ask enough questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Pradaxa?

A blood thinner to thin blood and reduce the risk of stroke due to AFib?

Or for other cardiac issues?

Yeah, I've been on it for two years.

What about it?

No problems, but I do have to stop taking it 3-5 days before a surgery or any surgical procedure, such as my injections.

So.. what's your questions?

Ok, so I went backwards and read your previous post.

If he has heart issues, it's best to follow the Dr s orders and take the pradaxa.

Pradaxa is one blood thinner that DOESN'T require constant blood tests to monitor the dosage.

Pradaxa is one thinner that CAN be stopped in advance of a surgery or surgical procedure. To reduce the risk of bleeding out during the surgery or proceedure

If he/you don't like the idea of a medicine, ask the cardiologist about taking a baby or regular aspirin. However, aspirin in constant use can cause other problems. Such as stomach irritation or creating ulcers. Aspirin us still a medication though.

If he has cardiac issues that REQUIRES a medication to reduce dying of, or of having a stroke, you might want him to REALLY TAKE IT.

UNLESS you want him to have a major stroke or die.

No matter how you feel about "taking no meds".

Best to you.

OK, early Monday AM, about 4 AM, he couldn't sleep and was anxious. He got up and did something he never does. He finished off a small half pint of carrot cake ice cream. He did this at 4 AM, then went back to sleep, got up around 8 AM to take me to work and that's when he told me he felt weird - he said he felt his heart was racing. (Just told me this today).

I got him an appointment with a cardiologist. On the small list of what to do, it says "no stimulants" - he does not smoke or drink so I guess that means his coffee. No more.

Not even sure if he has AFIB (I looked it up). He has a stress test for Thursday; no history of any heart issues in his entire family or with himself - ever. He has low blood pressure and has fainted in the past. If you put him on a tilt table, he will pass out. That has happened twice (fainting) in the past 25 years.

The cardiologist did not use the word "stroke" to him - just gave 3 packs of samples for Pradaxa and then he has a prescription for something starting with a T. He told me today he feels fine and it was probably from eating the ice cream at 4 AM, something he never does.

Of course, his health is the most important.

Thanks for your input!

Old 03-31-2020, 10:00 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,949,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

The cardiologist did not use the word "stroke" to him - just gave 3 packs of samples for Pradaxa and then he has a prescription for something starting with a T. He told me today he feels fine and it was probably from eating the ice cream at 4 AM, something he never does.
The ice cream was the likely culprit. Your husband may also want to check his blood sugar levels.

https://heartmdinstitute.com/heart-h...-palpitations/

Quote:
Foods That Cause Heart Palpitations: An Unholy Trinity
If you’ve had a heart attack or other cardiac event, have abnormalities in the shape or function of your heart, or have been diagnosed with an arrhythmia of some kind, I recommend staying away from foods that cause heart palpitations—especially these three:

1. Caffeinated Foods / Beverages.....

2. Sugar

In addition to creating inflammation in the body, sugar is a stimulant with the ability to cause heart palpitations. The most obvious example is when you eat too much of it at one time. Initially you feel a “sugar rush,” which can cause palpitations. Later, you may also feel them when your blood sugar comes crashing back down, often to a level lower than normal.

Eating smaller portions of sugar-filled foods each day can put you at risk for palpitations as well, because it causes fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Low blood sugar is a common cause of racing skipped heart beats. Lower your risk by minimizing sugar consumption.

3. Alcohol....

Old 04-02-2020, 09:50 PM

Default Wake up call for both of us

He went and had a stress test. The doctor said he did well; better than he thought he would.

He has to go back in a month.

Orders:
(1) No stimulants - my husband said he is sleeping better (already)

(2) Walk every day

So, in 30 days, we shall see.

Bella:
Thanks for the list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement