Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 11:24 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times

Advertisements

i understand there is a minimum amout one gets at 65 and ssi makes up the difference..how do i apply at age 65?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 11:49 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
See a social worker. They are usually available at the welfare office or places like Catholic Charities also have them. Take all your financials with you. That is how you find out what you qualify for.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:00 PM

661 posts, read 630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
i understand there is a minimum amout one gets at 65 and ssi makes up the difference..how do i apply at age 65?
Collecting SS retirement and SSI is not common. Please consult a SS expert.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:17 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
It actually depends on the amount of your SS. If you have the 40 qtrs credit, but a very low amount of SS that you are eligible for, you may also qualify for SSI. Someone who depended on tips, such as a server in a sub-minimum wage job could conceivably qualify, as did my mom.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:34 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Contact SS.

If you are already collecting SS, I'm surprised they haven't alerted you.

If you are that low on income, also contact Department of Social Services to see what benefits you may also be eligible for, even if only temporary while awaiting an answer on SSI
Among other things, you may be eligible for SNAP ( Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program..aka food stamps), rent Assistance, HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program), healthily insurance assistance, and Maybe more.

You'll have to do things by phone for now due to covid-19 Corona virus issues.

For DSS Applications, you will absolutely need:
1)your birth certificate
2) your SS card
3) driver's license
4) proof of residence ( lease, mortgage or letter from your landlord)
5) for HEAP proof of utilities ( if included in your rent, they will give you a percentage of your rent back if approved for it, that check will be given directly to you, otherwise all HEAP Assistance will go to your heat/AC (if applicable) provider directly)
6) proof of all income
7) proof of all assets ( there may be limitations on assets you can have, excluding your home if you own and your vehicle.
8) proof of what health insurance you may have

And more. Ask for a detailed list of things you will need documentation for. When I was homeless and on assistance, no matter how often I applied/renewed, And no matter how prepared I was with documents, there ALWAYS seemed to be something I was missing, or some documentation I had to get from someone to give to them. Personally I think it's because they don't want you to have it too easy in applying.

If they deny you for pack of documentation, get requested documents immediately to submit
If they deny you on other grounds, APPEAL and keep reappealing until you get your applications final review by the reviewer. ( If you really don't qualify, you'll know why, and what parameters you need to qualify.

If you get a great intake worker, they will alert you to other benefits, such as rent assistance, that you may qualify for, and get you applied.

Don't be afraid to apply for anything and everything, you may not qualify, or you may qualify for some or all they offer. Call they can do is tell you no! ( Even on final appeal if denied)

Best of luck to you!

Old 03-24-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Contact SS.

If you are already collecting SS, I'm surprised they haven't alerted you.

If you are that low on income, also contact Department of Social Services to see what benefits you may also be eligible for, even if only temporary while awaiting an answer on SSI
Among other things, you may be eligible for SNAP ( Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program..aka food stamps), rent Assistance, HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program), healthily insurance assistance, and Maybe more.

You'll have to do things by phone for now due to covid-19 Corona virus issues.

For DSS Applications, you will absolutely need:
1)your birth certificate
2) your SS card
3) driver's license
4) proof of residence ( lease, mortgage or letter from your landlord)
5) for HEAP proof of utilities ( if included in your rent, they will give you a percentage of your rent back if approved for it, that check will be given directly to you, otherwise all HEAP Assistance will go to your heat/AC (if applicable) provider directly)
6) proof of all income
7) proof of all assets ( there may be limitations on assets you can have, excluding your home if you own and your vehicle.
8) proof of what health insurance you may have

And more. Ask for a detailed list of things you will need documentation for. When I was homeless and on assistance, no matter how often I applied/renewed, And no matter how prepared I was with documents, there ALWAYS seemed to be something I was missing, or some documentation I had to get from someone to give to them. Personally I think it's because they don't want you to have it too easy in applying.

If they deny you for pack of documentation, get requested documents immediately to submit
If they deny you on other grounds, APPEAL and keep reappealing until you get your applications final review by the reviewer. ( If you really don't qualify, you'll know why, and what parameters you need to qualify.

If you get a great intake worker, they will alert you to other benefits, such as rent assistance, that you may qualify for, and get you applied.

Don't be afraid to apply for anything and everything, you may not qualify, or you may qualify for some or all they offer. Call they can do is tell you no! ( Even on final appeal if denied)

Best of luck to you!

thankyou i took retirement at 62 too get 466$ a month...the minimum amount listed on ss websites is slightly under 800/month as i understand the reading at age 65 i qualify for the difference between the

800 and 466...but i just thought someone here would know something about it being automatic

i get foodstamps and have low income housing and also do some partime work

i have searched the web and nobody can answer directly this simple question

Old 03-24-2020, 04:25 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Call SS.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
https://www.ssa.gov/

Because of the virus, all SSA offices are closed

You can call their 800 number but expect long wait times

Best thing to do is go to their website & set up your myAccount with SSA

Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 PM

i have an account with soc sec and have been receiving a monthly check..i constantly read online that there exists a minimum benefit of about 785 a month at age 65..i have searched the web and only find info on disability nothing about getting the additional monies when your retirement benefit is below the 785 nothing lol

while it seems full retirement has gone to age 66 6 months i have found articles alluding to age 65 remaining a constant for the 785 but noting written in stone

Old 03-25-2020, 12:46 AM

1,142 posts, read 578,482 times
The age is 65 yrs old for SSI. It's never been changed.

You can apply at the social security website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement