Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 11:34 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,482,261 times

Advertisements

I dumped them about 25 years ago, haven't missed them yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 11:34 AM

5,295 posts, read 3,662,836 times
I think the magazine & newsletter is worth the price if one is just starting retirement & needs to think about various aspects that you haven't had to pay attention to previously. Also the Medicare Supplemental insurance is a good deal too. (Although hasn't Medicare stopped offering "F" plans to new applicants? Maybe there is a newer coverage offered.)

As mentioned there are various consumer discounts too but I don't know much about that, but for $10-15/yr it's not a ripoff.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:19 PM

935 posts, read 687,716 times
We like the discounts. Going out to eat we can save anywhere from 10-30%. We also use it to book travel. If you buy a longer membership it is discounted. We save more by having it so not an issue to pay it.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:26 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,360,189 times
I truly appreciate the responses.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:34 PM

5,866 posts, read 5,344,579 times
We eat at Denny's a lot and get the discount. There are other places that take the discount, too. We also use it when we travel on hotel rooms.

Just about everywhere we go, I ALWAYS ask, "Do you take military or AARP discounts?" If they take both, I ask which one is higher. That is why we used the AARP at Denny's because it is higher than the military discount.

Cat

Old 03-16-2020, 03:52 PM

1,681 posts, read 1,948,319 times
I discovered the dental company who offers a plan thru AARP can be had much cheaper, without aarp being the middle man.

AARP sent me a “this is your last notice for renewal” yesterday —- I cancelled them several years ago because they are useless to me.

I have a great Part D without their help, and we have an excellent Part B supplement.

I am probably in the minority but AARP has become too big for their britches. Whatever programs you look at thru them, do your homework and be sure you can’t get a better deal elsewhere.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:33 PM

68 posts, read 65,401 times
Membership appreciation waned when the volunteer tax preparers errored terribly. Surprise 5x7 thick packet from the IRS arrived nearly two years later. Late fee was charged. If multi-thousand payment was made within 30 days no interest was charged. Not prepared for this financial hit, planned and pre-paid vacation was canceled. Eating the fee for doing so added salt to the wound.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:43 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,300,362 times
I got the membership for the supplement. Don't regret that; it worked well for DH who had a lot of health issues. I don't, thank heaven, but just in case...

I like the magazine for the most part. Some of the articles are informative. I almost never use the discount- AAA discounts are similar for hotels and probably some other goods and services, and the restaurants where I can get an AAA discount are chain restaurants that mostly serve ginormous portions of things that are bad for you.

They will bombard you with e-mails reminding you of your benefits and with whiny e-mails begging you to sign petitions, contact your local representatives, etc. because seniors are being persecuted, their benefits might be cut, etc. I know that contacting representatives for ANYTHING just gets you on more junk mail/e-mail lists.

Overall, OK.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:27 PM

9,348 posts, read 16,746,835 times
I don't agree with their politics. You can get many of the discounts just being a senior.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:55 AM

2,527 posts, read 3,277,787 times
I quit after many years. Mainly because United Health Care has bought them out lock, stock and barrel. AARP doesnt even consider Kaiser Permanente to be a Senior Advantage choice!!! (its my first choice)
The magazine is filled with low-level articles about scammers, real no-brainer stuff.
UHC has no importance to me. So bye bye AARP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement