Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 12:21 PM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Are you saying 4 to 5 funds with different Fund Companies versus 4 to 5 various funds with one Fund Company such as Fidelity? Myself, 3 with Fidelity and one with Vanguard.
To diversify to the possible major economic outcomes we can have ,takes just 4 funds

Total market fund

Gold fund or gold , no miners

Long term treasuries

Short term treasuries or cash instruments

That covers everything from prosperity to recession ,high inflation weak dollar ,to depression .

There is really nothing else in all the back testing done that adds to that with any reliability as far as being counted on to react in a particular circumstance.

An equal mix of the above is up now.. it thrives in all kinds of investment climates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,443,427 times
Everyone, while we're here... Can someone comment on these funds I just found?

PRNHX (PRJIX)
TRBCX
PRMTX (TTMIX)

I cannot invest in these with the limited fund selection of my 401(k), however, I CAN invest via my personal Fidelity account.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:23 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
To diversify to the possible major economic outcomes we can have ,takes just 4 funds

Total market fund

Gold fund or gold , no miners

Long term treasuries

Short term treasuries or cash instruments

That covers everything from prosperity to recession ,high inflation weak dollar ,to depression .

There is really nothing else in all the back testing done that adds to that with any reliability as far as being counted on to react in a particular circumstance.

An equal mix of the above is up now
So why do you use Fidelity Monitor and Insight services?

Old 03-26-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So why do you use Fidelity Monitor and Insight services?
I don’t use the model with gold and treasuries exactly that way ......I pack the gold and long term treasuries around the models as fighter cover .....I am not big on indexing either as I use mostly managed funds.

I don’t run the gold and treasuries all the time ...usually late cycle or when I am nervous about something ....I started more than a year ago with the chaos in Washington and the tariffs.. I use those two more as trading vehicles then holds .

But to do it right one should stick to the script

Old 03-26-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Everyone, while we're here... Can someone comment on these funds I just found?

PRNHX (PRJIX)
TRBCX
PRMTX (TTMIX)

I cannot invest in these with the limited fund selection of my 401(k), however, I CAN invest via my personal Fidelity account.
PRNHX
From Morningstar:
https://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/PRNHX/quote

T.Rowe Price New Horizons, a great fund I own it and it is closed. There is word of caution about it however.
It is labeled a small cap fund but has well out performed the normal small cap market. It changed long time fund managers about a year ago so historical performance is really no guarantee. It has at times stalled this year but has still been a very good hold.

If you can get it via Fidelity it may be a good buy four days ago.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I don’t use the model with gold and treasuries exactly that way ......I pack the gold and long term treasuries around the models as fighter cover .....I am not big on indexing either as I use mostly managed funds.

I don’t run the gold and treasuries all the time ...usually late cycle or when I am nervous about something ....I started more than a year ago with the chaos in Washington and the tariffs.. I use those two more as trading vehicles then holds .

But to do it right one should stick to the script
One can have multiple scripts if they want and can afford to. A novel, mystery, comedy, adventure etc.

Dude you and I both know you have play money and can buy what you want on a whim just to own it and see how it performs if you want. Many do. Others don't.
ETF's can be great toys easy to buy and easy to sell.
At this stage a life a couple only need one car per household or perhaps two. Yet many have more than that. As we have both said who cares about needs if you WANT multiple funds and have the flexibility to afford why not have a go at it.

You can have your need portfolio and then some want ones once you have the need where it should be to take care of business.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One can have multiple scripts if they want and can afford to. A novel, mystery, comedy, adventure etc.

Dude you and I both know you have play money and can buy what you want on a whim just to own it and see how it performs if you want. Many do. Others don't.
ETF's can be great toys easy to buy and easy to sell.
Many on other forums just run a portfolio like the one I posted all the time ....it has been a portfolio in use for more than 40 years now ..it is nothing I came up with . Then once they bullet proof their portfolio they take a little bit of many and swing for the fences if they want .

But it has done pretty well year in and year out and it has never been down more than 5 or 6% .....

Old 03-26-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Many on other forums just run a portfolio like the one I posted all the time ....it has been a portfolio in use for more than 40 years now ..it is nothing I came up with . Then once they bullet proof their portfolio they take a little bit of many and swing for the fences if they want .

But it has done pretty well year in and year out and it has never been down more than 5 or 6% .....
Sure that's my point. I know why I was so cool as the markets crashed, we were still golden. My concerns are not my personal investments but pension investments.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,548,256 times
OP,
Probly not. 70/73 ages.
Income distributed into ~ 1/3 SS and small pension; ~1/3 GLWB ladder annuities (2/5 not taken yet); ~1/3 rental income. Very little I can do at this time to really affect Income or outcomes.
I am probably not going to change my Discretionary trading habits, much (unless I go bust in this Black Swan).
YMMMV

Old 03-26-2020, 01:27 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,603,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I am 6-8 years out from retirement and when the market does recover, I am going way more conservative with allocations.
Yes. I'd already made plans to do that for a 2020 recession, when the virus made it happen super big and super early. So I got caught before I'd done my adjustments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement