Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 05:18 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,453 times

Advertisements

I've been contacting Vanguard to try and change my asset allocation, I did it online but it did not reflect the change I made. Then I contacted 3 people at Vanguard today, each one gave me a different number at Vanguard to call. Each person I spoke to told me to talk to someone else about it. I finally gave up, is there any way to change my asset allocation? My current mix is too aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,157,262 times
I've never had any problem with Vanguard, whether I made the changes online or by phone. If you need to change your allocations, don't "give up."
I prefer to do all my transactions online, and don't understand why your changes weren't reflected. Did you give it enough time (i.e. 2-3 business days)? I also don't understand why you would have to call any number other than their normal 877-662-7447 line.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
I've never had any problem with Vanguard, whether I made the changes online or by phone. If you need to change your allocations, don't "give up."
I prefer to do all my transactions online, and don't understand why your changes weren't reflected. Did you give it enough time (i.e. 2-3 business days)? I also don't understand why you would have to call any number other than their normal 877-662-7447 line.
I've called different numbers. I've given it 2 business days, changes still not reflected. This last person told me I'd need to "pick stocks" in order to change my asset allocation, so I would need to talk to someone about the different stocks available. I never picked stocks when I originally set up my retirement fund with Vanguard.

I wonder if each person I'm speaking to is playing the game of "pass this person on to someone else" so their work day goes easier.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:53 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,157,262 times
Do you mean stocks or funds?? What precisely do you have at Vanguard... an IRA, brokerage account, or ?
Whatever you have, you should be able to make changes. If your problem is with having to choose funds, people here could make suggestions if you give more details like your age, goals, risk tolerance, etc.
But you said you tried to make changes online and they didn't take. That tells me that you know what you want (I think).
Sorry. Am a bit confused here. I doubt the VG reps are in the business of passing callers on to someone else just to make their day easier.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:16 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times
In all likelihood, you changed a model and didn't make actual changes to your account.

You have a retirement account at Vanguard. You hold stocks and funds in your account.

Most sites will have graphical pie charts which show your asset allocation and what you hold in each category.

To change your asset allocation to match the model you described, you have to sell an equity fund to reduce your allocation to equities and buy a bond fund to increase your allocation to fixed income. This is the most basic of mutual fund switching. This is what the Vanguard's customer information center is telling you to do.

You need to calculate the dollar amount you need to switch between the two funds to get asset allocation you want.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
I was able to change it. But the model is different and you actually have to change the allocation yourselves. Nobody will do it.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,256,626 times
Is it a managed account, if so then call your manager, if it is funds then you need to change to a different fund. You might wish to change to Fidelity and you can even transfer over the same funds, I have found Fidelity easy to deal with and the guy I deal with always returns my calls promptly.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:45 PM

I found out today. I had to talk to someone in brokerage and I had to pick bonds, which can't be done online.

I want a mix of 75% stocks with about 25% bonds. Previously, I was all in stocks. I felt it was getting a little risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing