Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 06:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Getting someplace new without a GPS.
How true that is! A friend's son called him in a panic, the GPS went out and he couldn't figure out the route. He was on the Interstate and didn't have to get off for another 100 miles. And it was a route he drove several times before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 06:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
How true that is! A friend's son called him in a panic, the GPS went out and he couldn't figure out the route. He was on the Interstate and didn't have to get off for another 100 miles. And it was a route he drove several times before!
How helpless. They must be forgetting basic skills like knowing your geography and the names of the cities and towns, realizing that you're out in the hills rather than next to the river, not bothering with landmarks that you can see from the highway or the roads around town. Not to mention probably having no idea of how to read a map!

Old 02-23-2020, 08:07 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
How helpless. They must be forgetting basic skills like knowing your geography and the names of the cities and towns, realizing that you're out in the hills rather than next to the river, not bothering with landmarks that you can see from the highway or the roads around town. Not to mention probably having no idea of how to read a map!
If you are used to a certain level of technology, it’s hard to go backwards.

Many years back Howard Stern was talking about something similar to this, and his manager person came in and started telling a story on himself. Bababooey walked out to his car, pressed the button to unlock his door and discovered that the battery had drained from his clicker. He stood there and press the button over and over again, with the same results. He was absolutely flummoxed about how to get into the car.

One of the lower paid coworkers walked up grabbed his keys, shoved the key into the lock and turned it. Bababooey completely forgot how to do that.

It actually took them a lot longer to tell the story because they made it really funny but this isn’t uncommon at all.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:08 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I can tell the temperature by counting cricket chirps.

I read it in a schoolbook from the 1930s. My mother's sister was disabled mentally and physically, and for a time the school sent a teacher to the house when she was a child. She could print her name, I remember, but she had the mentality of about a five-year-old. The exception was that she could hear a song on the radio or on a record and play it on the organ after she heard it once.

Anyway, my grandmother had her childhood schoolbooks, and I read them when I was there, and one story told how to tell the temperature by the speed of cricket chirps. You count the number of chirps in 15 seconds, add 40, and you'll be within two degrees of the temperature.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can tell the temperature by counting cricket chirps.

I read it in a schoolbook from the 1930s. My mother's sister was disabled mentally and physically, and for a time the school sent a teacher to the house when she was a child. She could print her name, I remember, but she had the mentality of about a five-year-old. The exception was that she could hear a song on the radio or on a record and play it on the organ after she heard it once.

Anyway, my grandmother had her childhood schoolbooks, and I read them when I was there, and one story told how to tell the temperature by the speed of cricket chirps. You count the number of chirps in 15 seconds, add 40, and you'll be within two degrees of the temperature.
My dad taught me that when you heard the thunder and counted till the lightning hit that was how many miles away the storm was. Because if it was right over you the lightning and the thunder would be in unison.

I do it all the time, and I have no idea if it’s true.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:39 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My dad taught me that when you heard the thunder and counted till the lightning hit that was how many miles away the storm was. Because if it was right over you the lightning and the thunder would be in unison.

The speed of sound is 343 meters/second (~1125 feet/second). 1 mile = 5280 feet.
5280/1125=4.7 seconds.

See the lightning - count number of seconds until you hear the thunder, then divide by 5. That's how many miles away the storm/lightning is.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:40 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:

I count as well. Lightening comes before the thunder though and you need to divide the number by 5 to get the distance.
(I see Don beat me )

https://www.weather.gov/safety/light...cience-thunder

Since you see lightning immediately and it takes the sound of thunder about 5 seconds to travel a mile, you can calculate the distance between you and the lightning. If you count the number of seconds between the flash of lightning and the sound of thunder, and then divide by 5, you'll get the distance in miles to the lightning: 5 seconds = 1 mile, 15 seconds = 3 miles, 0 seconds = very close.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I count as well. Lightening comes before the thunder though and you need to divide the number by 5 to get the distance.
(I see Don beat me )

https://www.weather.gov/safety/light...cience-thunder

Since you see lightning immediately and it takes the sound of thunder about 5 seconds to travel a mile, you can calculate the distance between you and the lightning. If you count the number of seconds between the flash of lightning and the sound of thunder, and then divide by 5, you'll get the distance in miles to the lightning: 5 seconds = 1 mile, 15 seconds = 3 miles, 0 seconds = very close.
I’ll remember that for my move back to PA. Where I live now in the San Francisco Bay Area thunder and lightning is such a rare and short lived event. It usually makes the headlines on the news. I pretty much don’t get to use it.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:59 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:

Well, the speed of sound in more or less ordinary temperature and pressure air is about 1100 FPS. A mile is 5280 feet. So, assuming the time taken for light to travel less than about 20 miles is negligible, rounding 1100 down to 1000 and 5280 to 5000, yeah, every 5 seconds of delay between seeing the lightning and hearing the thunder is about a mile. Most people will be close to one second per count if you count "1001, 1002..."

Old 02-26-2020, 07:55 PM

344 posts, read 416,756 times
My mother had a poem memorized to help her determine how many days were in a given month. I never learned the poem but was taught a method that used my fingers and the gaps between my fingers to accomplish this. Make a fist and point it at your face and then with the index finger of the other hand start with the pinky as January, the gap between the pinky and the ring finger is February, the ring finger is March and so on. When you get to the index finger you count it twice, (July and August) and head back towards the pinky. The months that are on the fingers have 31 days and the gaps between the fingers have less than 31 and it is up to you to know if it is a leap year or not. Comes in handy very occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement