Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 07:45 AM

50,402 posts, read 64,119,967 times

Advertisements

I spoke to someone in Sun City Hilton Head, and he mentioned that one of the disadvantages was there aren’t ways to age in place there. I guess a bunch of ramps and other visible accommodations don’t promote the image that they want to portray, which I think is a carefree lifestyle. It is, indeed, geared towards the 55 year old, more than the 85 year old.

I don’t know anyone over 60 or so who wouldn’t welcome things like grab bars anywhere you could possibly put one. Even with no neurological condition, we all have arthritis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 07:48 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,412,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We don't have curbless showers in our homes and both are well over $1 million, so...

Actually, yes. I would notice most of the things you mentioned and I wouldn't buy the home.

This is a from a guest house on a property currently priced at $879k. I would have to rip this shower out and redo the bathroom to make it sufficiently comfortable for guests. I've no interest in having guest accommodations that look like a nursing home.

This IS an ugly example but could have been done much more nicely with different colors and something other than a shower curtain...perhaps this is typical but not required as the only way to make accommodations for different levels of ableness.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:52 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,235,780 times
The last time I had to move furniture out, I would have loved having wider doors and doorways.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We don't have curbless showers in our homes and both are well over $1 million, so...

Actually, yes. I would notice most of the things you mentioned and I wouldn't buy the home.

This is a from a guest house on a property currently priced at $879k. I would have to rip this shower out and redo the bathroom to make it sufficiently comfortable for guests. I've no interest in having guest accommodations that look like a nursing home.

Sure it is cheap and ugly, but it’s not the fact that it’s accessible that makes it that way. You do not have to be permanently handicapped to occasionally need accommodations. I’ve had bunion surgery and two knee replacements, and for all three of these temporary recoveries, getting into a shower and being able to stand the whole time we’re not easy.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:59 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,670,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is not what I’m talking about. That appears to be a cheap fiberglass replacement unit. Where did you find that, Bathfitters? That bathroom has cheap rubber baseboards. Are you sure it’s in the guest house of a luxury home. It’s very cheap looking.

The curbless showers in new luxury homes I have seen just continue the upgraded floor tile in the bath into the shower. They also feature a linear drain with a tiled top along the wall so you don’t even see where the water goes.
My primary home is fully custom. I designed those features into it. Also, I tiled the ceiling, put in a steam shower, and also put in an operating transom window & in-line fan venting to extract the humidity of the steam shower when we're done.

I did not design the house to be fully ADA compliant, as that changes the counter heights and heights of light switches and the like, but I did design it for aging in place. For example, you can take a wheelchair directly into the shower. The master is on the 2nd floor, and I put in an elevator capable of taking a wheelchair up & down, and put in a variety of "smart home" features to make the house more conducive to aging. And, of course, I designed it so you could take a wheelchair from the driveway in through the front door, and from the garage/shop into the house as well.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:56 AM

44,654 posts, read 61,707,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You still haven't figured it out?

Builders won't put them in so they don't attract the people that need them.

If a high percentage of people are handicapped that will deter the healthy active people from buying.

They just can't say those things.

I've been in lots of homes of the 80+ people and I don't really see much more than grab bars. The ones that need more usually don't buy in or leave when they need more.
^^^This is true...When folks get to the point where they need wheel chair access and other major handicap accessibility they usually go into an assisted living facility. Our 55+ community has about a dozen or 2 of these facilities.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:25 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,437,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We turned down houses realtors were trying to show us with handicapped modifications. Beside them being in poor condition we were not interested in handicapped homes. None of our neighbors have handicapped modifications.
Would it help to call anything "universal design," which is largely what it is? Pretty handy if you're younger and break an ankle or (as I did) got badly infected dogbites in the leg and was very glad I'd put everything I needed on the first floor. I told the builder I didn't want full-on universal design but not to design in any unnecessary problems, like a step up or down to the kitchen, etc.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Would it help to call anything "universal design," which is largely what it is? Pretty handy if you're younger and break an ankle or (as I did) got badly infected dogbites in the leg and was very glad I'd put everything I needed on the first floor. I told the builder I didn't want full-on universal design but not to design in any unnecessary problems, like a step up or down to the kitchen, etc.
Yes, exactly. If you are young, but your kid breaks a leg playing football, or whatever, this kind of shower would come in handy.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:55 PM

8,278 posts, read 8,677,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, exactly. If you are young, but your kid breaks a leg playing football, or whatever, this kind of shower would come in handy.
Kids can't live in a 55+.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:16 AM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Kids can't live in a 55+.
No one is saying they should.

The point was "universal design", that some accommodations, like the shower, could work for anyone, not just the handicapped, and then it wouldn't be seen as "special".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement