Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,482,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Thanks. You are very smart to do that. You also might consider making sure all of the doors are wider. He had to retrofit a couple doors in his house and it got pricey.

Can I ask you how much it is costing to do that?
Since we're not having a great deal done, it's only a few hundred dollars so far. Exterior doors at 36", most interior doors are 32" - no option there to change it. We took pictures of all the framing before drywall went up, so we know where the studs are for future installations.

We moved from FL, and costs seem to be lower in FL - i.e., you can get a lot more for your money there (and in most of the southeast in general).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 11:26 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,789,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
55+ communities are Active Adult. That is the target market. The people that golf, play tennis, etc. As people age they may have problems but they usually don't have them when they move in. I'm willing to bet that most 55+ don't have anymore accessibility than they legally have to.
Pretty much this. My 55+ community was marketed as an "Active Adult" community. However, the houses are constructed without any steps. There is a small "lip" at the exterior door thresholds, for obvious reasons and a small "lip" at the walk-in shower. They even have a cement "ramp" from the garage into the laundry room. No rail anywhere except for a small one in the shower.

Doors are strange. The three entry doors, (porch to front room, patio to kitchen/dining room, and garage to laundry room), are all 36". So are the doors to the master bedroom and master bathroom off that bedroom. However, the doors to the second and third bedroom are only 32" and the door to the second, common bathroom is only 30".

The salt-water pool has a double rail, but the Jacuzzi only has a single rail. The clubhouse is fully handicap accessible. So, all in all, it's a mix.

When investigating moving here, the developer/owner said something to me that gave me pause. He said, (paraphrased), "when people move here, it is a twenty-year home for them". I wondered long and hard what he meant and concluded that assuming people move here upon retirement, commonly at an age in their mid-sixties, that they can function well in an "active adult" community until their mid to late eightys at which time they need some type of assistance.

I've seen that. On one side of me, the neighbors are in their early 70s and are quite active. They camp often, drive their quad in the mountains, and take frequent trips. On the other side of me is a family somewhere in their 80s where he is suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer and I frequently need to help them shovel snow or take their trash barrel to the curb.

Any houses here fully set up for handicap people have been modified to be so.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 AM

6,630 posts, read 7,362,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I thought grab bars were attached to studs. No?
Some studs are aluminum and if the area you need the bars does not have a wooden stud you need to put in a backer for the bars before you finish the wall.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:05 PM

34,982 posts, read 57,077,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
How does wider doors and grab bars limit resale? Sounds like a plus to me.

Our condo has wide doors and we love the convenience in everyday life. I wish we had grab bars in the shower though. I'm always surprised hotels don't have them just to avoid lawsuits.

A ramp could just be removed.
That was my question. I have never heard that either. I’m not sure a person would even notice wider doors or realize that the grab bars outside the shower are not towel racks. These are not that noticeable and are easily removed if needed. Jay

Old 01-27-2020, 12:17 PM

34,982 posts, read 57,077,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Pretty much this. My 55+ community was marketed as an "Active Adult" community. However, the houses are constructed without any steps. There is a small "lip" at the exterior door thresholds, for obvious reasons and a small "lip" at the walk-in shower. They even have a cement "ramp" from the garage into the laundry room. No rail anywhere except for a small one in the shower.

Doors are strange. The three entry doors, (porch to front room, patio to kitchen/dining room, and garage to laundry room), are all 36". So are the doors to the master bedroom and master bathroom off that bedroom. However, the doors to the second and third bedroom are only 32" and the door to the second, common bathroom is only 30".

The salt-water pool has a double rail, but the Jacuzzi only has a single rail. The clubhouse is fully handicap accessible. So, all in all, it's a mix.

When investigating moving here, the developer/owner said something to me that gave me pause. He said, (paraphrased), "when people move here, it is a twenty-year home for them". I wondered long and hard what he meant and concluded that assuming people move here upon retirement, commonly at an age in their mid-sixties, that they can function well in an "active adult" community until their mid to late eightys at which time they need some type of assistance.

I've seen that. On one side of me, the neighbors are in their early 70s and are quite active. They camp often, drive their quad in the mountains, and take frequent trips. On the other side of me is a family somewhere in their 80s where he is suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer and I frequently need to help them shovel snow or take their trash barrel to the curb.

Any houses here fully set up for handicap people have been modified to be so.
This sounds like what my friend is looking for. It seems they are planning for their residents as they age. I get not wanting to advertise it as a place populated by old people but I think they should be prepared for it. Everyone ages, hopefully. Too bad it’s not in Florida. Is this being built by a national builder? I know many builders like Del Webb build in Florida too. Thanks, Jay

Old 01-27-2020, 12:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,767,400 times
I don't know if anyone here cares, but about 20 years ago the correct term became "disabled", not "handicapped".

Old 01-27-2020, 12:55 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,937,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
55+ communities are Active Adult. That is the target market. The people that golf, play tennis, etc. As people age they may have problems but they usually don't have them when they move in. I'm willing to bet that most 55+ don't have anymore accessibility than they legally have to.

That was my thinking. It might actually be counterproductive in marketing to highlight features that appeal to the handicapped.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,701,394 times
Quote:
I have a friend who is handicapped. He uses a walker and wheelchair to get around due to a rare neurological condition.

He’s just started researching retirement communities and is surprised how few, really none, seem to be set up for handicapped people. This would include ramps instead of a step or steps to enter the house; no narrow doors; and a bathroom with a curbless shower with grab bars and a seat and a higher toilet with grab bars. He’s not even finding them to have been built with blocking behind the walls so grab bars can be installed without ripping down walls.

He also says he doesn’t see the amenities being that accessible either. He would like a pool with two railings on the steps but just doesn’t see that at all.

Is he missing something? Will he be forced to go with a custom new build to get these features? To me it seems some of these should be standard features in 55+ homes since most retirees face mobility issues as they age. Jay
I deliver meals and do volunteer driving for a LOT of 55+ communities. I don't see any down here set up differently or specially for those with handicaps. Look at the advertisements...you usually see 45 year old models who bleach their fair full gray and are playing tennis.

I'd say handicapped folks might do as well or better among the general population....depending on exactly where.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,701,394 times
Quote:
This sounds like what my friend is looking for. It seems they are planning for their residents as they age. I get not wanting to advertise it as a place populated by old people but I think they should be prepared for it. Everyone ages, hopefully. Too bad it’s not in Florida. Is this being built by a national builder? I know many builders like Del Webb build in Florida too. Thanks, Jay
I get around many of the Florida communities and, for example, if you don't have a car and drive everywhere - often on 6 to 10 lane roads and around multiple traffic circles AND on intesrtates, you'd have a tough time "aging in place".

Sure, one could get around it...but the general rule and way here is that folks go from their house to assisted living. Those with the money, resources or some independence (in thought) might hire enough people and services that they can go to assisted living (or even pass in place) MUCH later.

It depends on the individuals and their support systems.

Wouldn't most people who had no family nearby feel awful lonely just aging out in place in a community where they rarely see kids, family, etc.???? Some communities have decent programs (for very old residents), but many do not.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:24 PM

24,565 posts, read 18,323,679 times
Assuming this is Connecticut, that’s not a particularly big market for 55+ developers. You go to Florida and any high end complex is fully accessible in all the common areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement