Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 08:44 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,400,832 times

Advertisements

OK. I get it now. Medicare is all new to me and has been surprisingly confusing with all the options. Mine is all covered through employer but trying to buy a separate Part D for DH has been a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 10:01 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And then they should consider what might happen if they become seriously ill and the Advantage program puts them on step therapy.
Exactly why I underlined the word "'consider."

(Personally, the ONLY way I would even consider a Med Adv plan is if I flat out couldn't afford a supplemental plan. Or maybe if I was terminal and didn't want further treatment. Yeah, I know people will disagree.)

Old 01-04-2020, 10:02 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
At 65, neither DH or I take prescription drugs. We may of course in the future, however I am wondering why we are forced to have drug coverage to avoid a penalty? Can anyone explain??
It is not just the daily prescriptions you have to worry about, it is also the very expensive treatments for certain things. My wife developed osteoporosis and underwent 2 years of treatment that cost well over $100,000. We have secondary insurance rather than part D, and we only paid $120 in total co-pay for her total treatment.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:08 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
At 65, neither DH or I take prescription drugs. We may of course in the future, however I am wondering why we are forced to have drug coverage to avoid a penalty? Can anyone explain??
My wife needs prescription drugs and if it were out of pocket we would be running well over $2,500 a month. Even with the Plan D we are currently spending just under $500 but $500 is better than $2,500.

And I am sure it has already been said but you are not "FORCED" to take anything.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:12 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
OK. I get it now. Medicare is all new to me and has been surprisingly confusing with all the options. Mine is all covered through employer but trying to buy a separate Part D for DH has been a nightmare.

It really shouldn't be a nightmare.
https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare/#/?lang=en

You set up an account. You enter your current prescriptions including dosages. You get a list of the plans. One of the colums shows you your TOTAL annual our of pocket INCLUDING premiums will be for everyone of those plans. THAT'S the important column. NOT the cost of premiums.

I do this every year for DH. In the last 10 years, I've changed his part D coverage probably 6 times because they changed the drug formulary and/or increased the premium.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:17 AM

1,142 posts, read 579,565 times
Just curious but when they say "average SS check" such as comparing the states, is the amounts with these medical deductions taken out?

Old 01-04-2020, 10:39 AM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Just curious but when they say "average SS check" such as comparing the states, is the amounts with these medical deductions taken out?
Where did you see such a list ? SS benefits are Federal, little if anything to do with States.

Also, not everyone on SS necessarily has deductions for medical coverage, for a host of reasons. So most likely any such list should use the gross benefit payment before any deductions.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:46 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,052,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
So which part D plan to choose for someone who doesn’t take Rx drugs now? The cheap plan that covers common drugs but not the expensive stuff needed for cancer or transplants, or the Cadillac plan that covers everything at a much higher premium?

Others tell me it’s OK to roll the dice and get a cheap plan, then upgrade as needed once a year. Some cancer chemo is around $30K/session, and that could really hurt financially if the need arose between enrollment periods.
I am in the same situation as you are. I always choose the least expensive plan, which for 2020 in my state is the Envision RxPlus plan at $13.70 per month. I pay it in full in January so that I won't need to bother with monthly payments; $164.40 won't break the bank.

I had cancer while uninsured (before Medicare) and so can speak to your concerns. First of all, chemotherapy does not fall under Part D in most cases. The 2020 Medicare Handbook says that if you receive it in an oncologist's office or freestanding clinic it is covered under Part B. If you receive it inside a hospital, it is covered under Part A.

There are some chemo drugs (typically for a common type of breast cancer) that are taken in pill form rather than by infusion. An example of those is Tamoxifen. Those would fall under Part D. But those drugs do not always incur the high costs that infusion-based chemo entails. For example, Tamoxifen is not that expensive:

https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/tamoxifen

The really expensive cancer drugs are the biologics but those are almost always given by infusion and are thus covered under Part B or A depending on where administered. Also, most pharma companies have assistance programs that help with the cost of the very expensive drugs if the patient does not have insurance coverage or cannot afford their copays. In some cases they will supply the drug for free.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 01-04-2020 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-04-2020, 11:01 AM

1,142 posts, read 579,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Where did you see such a list ? SS benefits are Federal, little if anything to do with States.

Also, not everyone on SS necessarily has deductions for medical coverage, for a host of reasons. So most likely any such list should use the gross benefit payment before any deductions.
Thank you

Old 01-04-2020, 11:13 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It really shouldn't be a nightmare.
https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare/#/?lang=en

You set up an account. You enter your current prescriptions including dosages.
I think orngkat said her husband isn't on any medications. That would certainly have made it harder for me to choose a plan. So I get it. It's all terra incognito at first.

But because I knew exactly which meds I needed, it was easy. None of the meds are new to me and I have some idea what I paid in the past.

I think at some point all of us are frustrated by having to predict events that we cannot possibly foresee. "Should I take SS at 62, 66, 70...?", for example. I ended up taking it at 66 because my spouse was becoming increasingly flaky in regards to money management. I had no way of knowing that would happen. He's a penny pincher. I thought he could handle it. Turned out he couldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement