Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 10:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,257,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Generations have been getting to age 85 for how long now ? And why is this generation different ?
What problem does this generation have that others didn't ?
There are many more of us doing so. And adult children have careers and cannot be full time caregivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 07:51 AM

43,408 posts, read 18,498,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
There are many more of us doing so. And adult children have careers and cannot be full time caregivers.
Boomers were adult children with careers at one point so that is not something new.
My parents' generation (Silent) were the ones that had a majority of stay at home women.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:23 AM

35,169 posts, read 31,469,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Great point. In decades past, I imagine a family with a SAHM would be better suited to caring for aging parents. And those are rare now. There's no extra time or money for most families to take in another member even if they'd like to.

My sister took care of my mom after my dad passed, and the home health care aides she eventually needed, rapidly started to exceed her income.
I've been in multiple serious relationships, but have never had anyone living with me full-time and have never married. My townhome isn't at all conducive to an older person. I did three loads of laundry yesterday and each trip up and down from my bedroom to the garage where the laundry is 26 steps each way.

I have to work full time. I don't have a lot of burdens, but there's no way I could manage an older relative in my home who couldn't fend for themselves at least while I'm at work.

Throw a couple with kids in at lower income levels or something and it becomes a real mess.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:36 AM

475 posts, read 319,493 times
Quote:
Generations have been getting to age 85 for how long now ? And why is this generation different ? What problem does this generation have that others didn't ?
For starters, this. More sick elders, less people to take care of them.

"What these statistics mean is that if these trends continue (always an important caveat in demographic studies), there will be many fewer young and middle-aged people to care for the frailest of the old, whose death rate has not increased in recent years. The population of the prime care giving age group, from 45 to 64, is expected to increase by only 1 percent before 2030, while the population over 80 will increase by 79 percent."

That will lead to overcrowded or understaffed nursing homes, not ideal places to live out your final days. In home care is an option but only if there are enough paid caregivers to fill the demand. Sounds like there won't be.

Living with family is an option assuming someone in the family doesn't work or is willing to give up their job/career to stay home and be the caregiver. In the past it was typically women who provided the unpaid labor for care giving. Today more women have careers and are less willing or financially able to give up those careers to stay home and provide that care.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Boomers were adult children with careers at one point so that is not something new.
My parents' generation (Silent) were the ones that had a majority of stay at home women.
I went through this as a Boomer with my mother. So, yes, many Boomer adult women had careers. But there are more of us aging Boomers, and we will need to be assisted as we age. Some of us will die young, but with the help of modern medicine, some of us will live long lives. And family caregivers are fewer for several reasons, including the need for them to continue working.

The baby boomer generation was/is very large. Subsequent generations have been smaller.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:58 AM

43,408 posts, read 18,498,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I went through this as a Boomer with my mother. So, yes, many Boomer adult women had careers. But there are more of us aging Boomers, and we will need to be assisted as we age. Some of us will die young, but with the help of modern medicine, some of us will live long lives. And family caregivers are fewer for several reasons, including the need for them to continue working.

The baby boomer generation was/is very large. Subsequent generations have been smaller.
Actually the Millennials are a bigger cohort then the Boomers now.
76 million boomers vs 87 million millennials.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-baby-boomers/

https://money.cnn.com/interactive/ec...nials-boomers/

Old 12-30-2019, 10:57 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,105,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I wonder how the simple language comprehension declines with age. Seems like this thread provides a good evidence of that. Nothing in the article suggests some of the responses here. It talks of
- aging of society as a whole and help (not money) for finding long term care resources
- enabling working for older age people who would like to continue to work
- doctor assisted suicide
- plain talking and not euphemisms

One calls it manufactured hysteria, another needs compelled to declare another engagement (except the need to declare it so instead of ignoring it altogether).
Post of the week. Thanks gave me a good laugh.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,600,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post

I wonder how the simple language comprehension declines with age. Seems like this thread provides a good evidence of that. Nothing in the article suggests some of the responses here. It talks of
- aging of society as a whole and help (not money) for finding long term care resources
- enabling working for older age people who would like to continue to work
- doctor assisted suicide
- plain talking and not euphemisms

One calls it manufactured hysteria, another needs compelled to declare another engagement (except the need to declare it so instead of ignoring it altogether).
I've often had the same thought. And you are being generous in your comment. I wouldn't term all of it as 'simple language comprehension' though, although that is definitely part of it.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Actually the Millennials are a bigger cohort then the Boomers now.
76 million boomers vs 87 million millennials.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-baby-boomers/

https://money.cnn.com/interactive/ec...nials-boomers/
For us Boomers, the caregiving generation is likely Gen X, poor things. Obviously, this is a generalization.

Regardless, we aren’t set up to give much support to middle aged, mid career caregivers, especially when the elder has many health problems. There are cost, trust and availability issues. Imagine trying to afford care for mom when you also had to pay college costs for daughter.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:03 AM

586 posts, read 316,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
a link would have been helpful
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/o...ica-aging.html
"Like climate change, the aging of America demands a serious rethinking of the way we live."

The article is somewhat shallow.
The 1300 comments are worthwhile.

Thanks for posting that quote. No need to waste my time with more JYT blather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement