Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 11:49 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

Generations have been getting to age 85 for how long now ? And why is this generation different ?
What problem does this generation have that others didn't ?
Maybe because Assisted Living dwellings can cost $3500 or $4000 per month or more?

And many people feel like they would like to live in an Assisted Living dwelling, but because of the high cost, it is not possible.

Also, there are more single older people that ever before in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 11:50 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
In many past generations, an elder went to live with one of their children. Today the children think that is the most horrible thing in the world. My mother came to live with me near her end. We got along fine. My son would be horrified if I suggested living with him. Although he does appreciate that I finally did a will and other papers, and have my financial information organized.
Where are you getting this info from ?

Research shows just the opposite; it's actually doubled in the past 25 years.

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/fri...ildren-fd.html
Older parents moving in with their adult children make up a much larger component of “shared living” than they did a generation ago.

“Adults who live in someone else’s household typically live with a relative,” Pew stated in its report on its findings. “Today, 14 percent of adults living in someone else’s household are a parent of the household head, up from 7 percent in 1995.”

Old 12-24-2019, 12:31 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
More NYT manufactured hysteria. The real crises are out of control costs for medical care and how the federal government will financing Medicare in the coming decade.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:03 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
More NYT manufactured hysteria. The real crises are out of control costs for medical care and how the federal government will financing Medicare in the coming decade.
Did you read the article? It is anything but what you characterize it as..

Old 12-25-2019, 08:00 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Work this from the other side too. Many adult children are ill-prepared to care for an aging parent or relative in their own home.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Everybody expects someone else to solve their problem. Too bad the person who commented upthread "You're on your own" has it exactly right.

Now that you know that, what will you do?

Sometime in the next decade I'll sell the large property and buy something small and manageable. I'll hire aides as needed. Eventually I'll die alone there.

I'm okay with that.

I saw how fast my MIL went downhill in a care home. Not for me.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:56 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
I neither know nor care anything about the topic, but the OP made me open it and read several posts in order to find that out. So here is my RSVP to the invitation. Sorry. I have another engagement.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:13 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'd like to read it but the parsimonious NYT won't let me.
The NYT lets me read it for free. There's something else blocking you from reading it.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:28 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
I wonder how the simple language comprehension declines with age. Seems like this thread provides a good evidence of that. Nothing in the article suggests some of the responses here. It talks of
- aging of society as a whole and help (not money) for finding long term care resources
- enabling working for older age people who would like to continue to work
- doctor assisted suicide
- plain talking and not euphemisms

One calls it manufactured hysteria, another needs compelled to declare another engagement (except the need to declare it so instead of ignoring it altogether).

Old 12-26-2019, 11:41 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Work this from the other side too. Many adult children are ill-prepared to care for an aging parent or relative in their own home.
Great point. In decades past, I imagine a family with a SAHM would be better suited to caring for aging parents. And those are rare now. There's no extra time or money for most families to take in another member even if they'd like to.

My sister took care of my mom after my dad passed, and the home health care aides she eventually needed, rapidly started to exceed her income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement