Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 08:45 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times

Advertisements

Classmates have been dying since I was still in high school.

27 were in my parents generation, parents, aunts, uncles, and their spouses. All dead.

1/4 of my first cousins are dead.

Ex coworkers, neighbors now and before, friends at different times of my life, acquaintances, are dying at about 2 a week.

Just part of getting old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 09:16 PM

17,645 posts, read 22,683,204 times
My beloved Dad served in US Army during World War II & The Korean War. He survived both. When he was 44, he was laying on the floor watching tv, had a heart attack & passed on. No one was home.
My beloved cousin was serving in US Army (peacetime). He was 21 year old second lieutenant. He had brain aneurysm & passed on. Both are now resting at San Bruno Military Cemetery.

My dad's dad, beloved grandpa, lived to be 98.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:09 PM

6,784 posts, read 5,508,553 times
Well, my father's mother died of breast cancer that spread.

My father has had 3 relative s who passed from lung cancer, including his brother, for whom we just had a service the day before Thanksgiving.

My father, on the other hand, is a prostate cancer survivor.

I'm probably doomed to cancer, as there is cancer on my mother's side, most strongly her sister.

But we are all going to pass of something.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:20 PM

32,972 posts, read 36,478,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well, my father's mother died of breast cancer that spread.

My father has had 3 relative s who passed from lung cancer, including his brother, for whom we just had a service the day before Thanksgiving.

My father, on the other hand, is a prostate cancer survivor.

I'm probably doomed to cancer, as there is cancer on my mother's side, most strongly her sister.

But we are all going to pass of something.

Some of us aren't talking to each other. My mother-in-law died from that. Third time was a curse.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,355,927 times
My mother passed away this past June so now, at 64, I am the oldest in the family. It was a small Thanksgiving gathering as my mother wasn't there, my niece got divorced so her husband his son weren't there and my younger son & his daughter couldn't come because his daughter was pretty sick. So it was just the six of us.

When I look at my wedding party from 1984, three out of the ten are gone, one only in his 30's. I've lost my father, stepfather, husband, uncles, aunts, in-laws and my mom in the space of 10 years. Naturally my husband and mother were the hardest but I find myself thinking of my dad a lot lately especially since I only recently found out he wasn't my biological father. Life goes on doesn't it - no matter how the deaths effect us. :-(

Old 11-29-2019, 08:04 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,094,606 times
The death of friends and family is for me a keen reminder of my own mortality and need to ........
Still working on finishing the above sentence.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:51 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,425,459 times
It has seemed to come in waves for me. Ten to fifteen years ago, most of my great aunts and uncles died. With my remaining grandparents in their mid 80s, another "wave" is likely to come soon

Old 11-30-2019, 04:08 AM

16,343 posts, read 10,465,858 times
The OP was quite moving, having 2 funerals for friends on the same day is pretty, well I'm not even sure what word to use. It has to be terribly frightening to think of ending up all alone, I have the same fear.

But you mentioned good genes Larry as if it's a curse. Not sure about you but I prefer to live and have others die, even friends you loved. Living a long life has it's challenges but it sure beats the alternative. You should be grateful for good genes, that's about the best gift you can get.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:04 AM

921 posts, read 889,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Woke up missing my cousin who passed this year. He was the last one to share memories of our mothers together in our grandmother's kitchen on the holidays.

It is the hardest part for sure.
I can relate to losing the last person to share memories with. My immediate family have all passed within a period of 5 years, I was only 49 when the last one died.

Very strange feeling to have no one who remembers the past but you.

I am sorry for your loss.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:21 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,699,536 times
Quote:
Very strange feeling to have no one who remembers the past but you.
^this^...absolutely..I'm 71 and all of my old road dog running buddies have passed on..every one of them..some I knew from our early 20's..immediate family still kicking, so there's that, but are you blessed or cursed when you're that last one out of a lifelong group that you made those memories with?..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement