Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 07:56 PM

109 posts, read 97,006 times

Advertisements

I heard there's a ten year waiting list. Also houses have to be built like fortresses to be able to withstand hurricanes, making almost all properties cost upwards of a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 08:51 PM

893 posts, read 514,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
I heard there's a ten year waiting list. Also houses have to be built like fortresses to be able to withstand hurricanes, making almost all properties cost upwards of a million.
No 10 yr waiting list (?!)

Our houses are concrete and so they are strong - I wouldn't say "like fortresses"!

Old 11-27-2019, 12:06 AM
JRR

8,183 posts, read 5,694,434 times
I came very close to spending a couple of years in Bermuda. In 1971 when I had 6 months left on my Coast Guard enlistment, there was an opening there for my rating at the Loran station there. I thought long and hard about putting in for it, but I would have had to extend my enlistment for 18 months. In the end I decided to just finish my time and go back home. Over the years, I have wondered from time to time what those two years would have been like if I had got the transfer. Our cutter used to stop on the way out and back on Echo ocean station and I really liked it there.

Last edited by JRR; 11-27-2019 at 12:32 AM..

Old 11-27-2019, 06:53 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,083,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Not even sure if it’s possible for an American to retire there.
But the weather and island life looks fabulous — not too hot in summer and in 70 s much of winter.
Lots of culture and history, gorgeous beaches.
I know it’s expensive, and we are fine with that.
Just curious if it’s possible, and if anyone has had experience there.
Bermuda is never talked about on forums.
Thanks

I have traveled to Bermuda several times, beautiful island, and what I learned while visiting is you can't own property on the island unless there is a native Bermudian family connection and with the case of Michael Douglas as mentioned in another post his mother has those family ties. Also, if you don't hold native residency on the island you can't get a driver's license. You can drive a moped without a driver's license, but don't think that type of vehicle would be the choice of many seniors to get around in especially when there are 3 cruise ships in port and many tourists are renting them who are not very familiar with driving them which results in many accidents.

Expensive means different things to different people, but most Bermudians would agree the island is an expensive place to live and for this reason many hold multiple jobs. And much of the expense is a result that being an island nation along with it's geography very little agriculture can be produced there so just about everything has to be imported in. Also because of it's craggy coastline that detracts from the island having a commercial fishing industry. Aside from tourism, I believe that the majority of employment/jobs on the island is within the banking industry primarily in Hamilton.

Another issue that Bermudians face that adds to their expense and is a constant threat is water shortage. In an attempt to combat this threat every house where many in the states would have a basement under their homes Bermudians have to have a rain water storage tank under theirs that has to be able to hold a specific quantity of potable water. To insure the water is potable all roofs are constructed of limestone which is an expensive material and in the design similar to a pyramid with steps so as the rain water drips down over the roof it is filtered by the limestone as it heads to their basement storage tanks.

My visits to Bermuda were in May x 2 and it was quite hot and humid but tolerable. I have also visited the island in July and weather wise it was akin to my visits to Key West and Aruba at the same time. Even with a thick coating of sunscreen and I am not too fair skinned I managed to get a pretty bad sunburn for being at the beach for only a couple of hours in mid morning. And what likely contributed to that is Bermuda can be pretty windy because it is in the middle of the ocean. So take those weather averages with a grain of salt.

In a nutshell if I could afford to visit Bermuda annually I would, but to live there permanently even if I could afford to it would not be my choice because it is a small island and once the beach thrill is gone and all the cultural attractions are exhausted not much else left to do.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:01 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,280,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post

In a nutshell if I could afford to visit Bermuda annually I would, but to live there permanently even if I could afford to it would not be my choice because it is a small island and once the beach thrill is gone and all the cultural attractions are exhausted not much else left to do.
I've been there only once for a conference but I agree with Nightengale. I was in the property-casualty insurance business and you couldn't drive a golf cart over a course without running into someone in the business. If I'd wanted to find a job there it would have been pretty easy but people who did relocate told me that after the enchantment wears off, "Island fever" sets in. I never considered it seriously.

Oh- and one of the guys attending the conference rented a moped, wiped out on it and spent a few days in the hospital before he could go home. The roads are made of coral particles and you can end up with really bad road rash.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I came very close to spending a couple of years in Bermuda. In 1971 when I had 6 months left on my Coast Guard enlistment, there was an opening there for my rating at the Loran station there. I thought long and hard about putting in for it, but I would have had to extend my enlistment for 18 months. In the end I decided to just finish my time and go back home. Over the years, I have wondered from time to time what those two years would have been like if I had got the transfer. Our cutter used to stop on the way out and back on Echo ocean station and I really liked it there.
JRR, most likely you would still be here. So many people in the 'old days' came to Bermuda and never left.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:14 PM

7,798 posts, read 6,420,545 times
It is a small island, only 27 miles long.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
It is a small island, only 27 miles long.
Yes it is. I just happen to be watching "Bermuda Triangle: New Secrets" on Netflix - you can see some good shots of the island. They are talking to a couple of locals about storms/wrecks etc. and I know them both...it sure is small!
Small and lovely.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:38 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,399,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Not even sure if it’s possible for an American to retire there.
But the weather and island life looks fabulous — not too hot in summer and in 70 s much of winter.
Lots of culture and history, gorgeous beaches.
I know it’s expensive, and we are fine with that.
Just curious if it’s possible, and if anyone has had experience there.
Bermuda is never talked about on forums.
Thanks
Why not Key West, one of the US Virgin Islands or Hawaii - no issue with retiring in any of these as a US citizen.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:25 AM

11,126 posts, read 5,612,400 times
They drive on the wrong side in Bermuda. It could be dangerous for a Yank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement