Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 05:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,846 times

Advertisements

STOP labeling people as 'chintzy'. A mentioned friend obviously does not have the financial resources that others might have, and what she does with her money is none of one's business.

Please stop labeling people as cheap, chintzy, or trashy.

One can think it and continue to label people all one wants, but just so you know, it's wrong and misguided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 07:52 PM

705 posts, read 563,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If $5 matters that much, they should be cooking at home.

You are a little judgmental! We always request a separate check and so do our friends. Why? Because we all decided from the start to do so, none of us considers it rude. We enjoy getting out with friends and not cooking sometimes. My husband and I generally share a meal if they don't have a senior menu which is a smaller serving. I'm happy for those with the ability to spend freely but many seniors can't and we shouldn't be criticized and made to feel like we shouldn't go out and enjoy ourselves just because we don't live up to your expectations.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:06 PM

484 posts, read 199,236 times
Separate checks.
I don't like feeling beholden to someone.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,777,521 times
I don't get why this has consumed 26 pages. If everyone wants separate checks, get separate checks. If everyone is fine with one check, get one check. Me, I don't care but I totally get why a lot of people do care and I am fine with it.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:56 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,857,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It’s NYC. I paid $50 for a valet parking back in 2010. It was a shock to my system.
Right. Because there is such a surplus of low priced open space in which to easily park ones own vehicle.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:05 AM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
STOP labeling people as 'chintzy'. A mentioned friend obviously does not have the financial resources that others might have, and what she does with her money is none of one's business.

One can think it and continue to label people all one wants, but just so you know, it's wrong and misguided.
I have only labeled someone as "not chintzy".

Old 11-19-2019, 06:09 AM

17,353 posts, read 11,316,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I don't get why this has consumed 26 pages. If everyone wants separate checks, get separate checks. If everyone is fine with one check, get one check. Me, I don't care but I totally get why a lot of people do care and I am fine with it.
We have a winner after 26 pages!

Old 11-19-2019, 06:44 AM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
We have a winner after 26 pages!
Right?

Manage your expectations.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:07 AM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

It would be good if you took your own advice.

I have noticed in your posts that you seem to think you know what other people are thinking or feeling. How dare you do that??

Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,135,703 times
So, like John McLaughlin, let me put in a conclusion: "The conclusion, folks, is that this is a regional issue - when in Rome and all that!" (I miss the old McLaughlin Group show, good lively discussion. Well, I miss Firing Line for that matter...)

Thinking back to my last post about splitting the bill equally while on work travel in Russia - couple of reasons we did that. We all got per-Diem, and we all knew we got the same amount. That and as I mentioned quite a few meals over there were more or less "family style" so we didn't order as individuals so much as as a group. And booze by the bottle or carafe, we didn't bother to appoint a "Sargent at Arms" to monitor who drank how much of what. And usually I was the only one who spoke decent Russian, so this helped reduce my "interpreter load" a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement