Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 06:30 PM

2,291 posts, read 1,689,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
I have missed her, too. I exchanged a few DMs with her, a while back, and she later disclosed newly diagnosed health issues. I checked in with her later but didn’t hear back.
So sorry to hear Piney Creek had other issues come up. Her retirement in Williamsburg really seemed enjoyable and she was always on the lookout for interesting volunteer situations.

dghorton, I’m sure that your faith will help guide you through your illness. Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 08:13 PM

11,664 posts, read 12,773,483 times
I wonder what happened to rlrl on the NYC forum. He mentioned in his posts that he had cancer. I hope he is ok.

Also there was a great thread from this 18 year old "kid" who was homeless looking for a shelter since he could no longer stay in his apartment with his mom who went back to her country of origin. I know there were people from the NYC forum who met up with him irl to help him. I hope he landed on his feet. He posted for about a year or so.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:24 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I wonder what happened to rlrl on the NYC forum. He mentioned in his posts that he had cancer. I hope he is ok.

Also there was a great thread from this 18 year old "kid" who was homeless looking for a shelter since he could no longer stay in his apartment with his mom who went back to her country of origin. I know there were people from the NYC forum who met up with him irl to help him. I hope he landed on his feet. He posted for about a year or so.
OMG, I had forgotten all about that kid. People were trying to help him or maybe it was some other kid I'm thinking of. The kid I am thinking of was stuck with very strict parents who wouldn't allow him to date and he wasn't allowed to be a normal kid. Parents were control freaks. He only had about six months until he would have been old enough to go out on his own but before people could finish helping him, his sneaky parents discovered that he was posting on CD and did something to him--punished him severely and made him get off CD.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:41 PM

11,664 posts, read 12,773,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
OMG, I had forgotten all about that kid. People were trying to help him or maybe it was some other kid I'm thinking of. The kid I am thinking of was stuck with very strict parents who wouldn't allow him to date and he wasn't allowed to be a normal kid. Parents were control freaks. He only had about six months until he would have been old enough to go out on his own but before people could finish helping him, his sneaky parents discovered that he was posting on CD and did something to him--punished him severely and made him get off CD.
I think that was some other kid. I didn't participate in that thread.

This kid was a Russian immigrant living alone with his mom who had to go back to Russia. I think he did turn 18 while posting. He was very intelligent and some people on the NYC forum met up with him and helped him out. One of them got him a job. He came back on CD to thank everyone. It was several years ago. This was an example of how this type of forum brings out the best in people.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:57 PM

21,617 posts, read 8,783,659 times
What a nice story.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:13 PM

6,898 posts, read 22,581,328 times
Yeroc60 passed away several years ago. I knew him and his family personally; our boys were good friends in elementary school.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:17 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think that was some other kid. I didn't participate in that thread.

This kid was a Russian immigrant living alone with his mom who had to go back to Russia. I think he did turn 18 while posting. He was very intelligent and some people on the NYC forum met up with him and helped him out. One of them got him a job. He came back on CD to thank everyone. It was several years ago. This was an example of how this type of forum brings out the best in people.
Good to know it had a happy ending and that people still care.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:40 PM

13,128 posts, read 7,610,060 times
I don't like to talk badly of other people. So I won't.
I will talk badly about myself.
When I am dead, kicked off, or getting bored with this forum, you can say anything you want about me, either now or latter, I won't mind.
What ever my outcome will be,
You, Will Miss Me

YMMV (abbreviation: You're Missing Me Varies)

Old 07-26-2022, 08:51 AM

5,469 posts, read 4,099,153 times
Please refrain from personal attacks on posters who are no longer here, or are still here. You can say you disagreed with them and leave it at that. Thank you.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:37 AM

13,128 posts, read 7,610,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Interesting thread. One sometime wonders what happened to dormant posters. I for one, have been diagnosed with stage 4 adeno-carcinoma lung cancer. and not sure why I feel compelled to share that---

Except, as a Christian believer, I'm somewhat excited by the prospects of 'going home soon .... and of having a wonderful opportunity to say goodbye to friends, family and loved ones on my terms and timing. I may write more as time passes.
everytime I see your "handle", I see you as, Horton, holding a flower (J).
sharing is what brings people together.
YSMV
best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement