Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 AM

501 posts, read 776,112 times

Advertisements

Had both eyes done (about 3-4 weeks apart) earlier this year, no issues caring for our 30+ pound mini aussie though he learned quickly that I was not going to pick him up like he was used to. Adapted easily to kneeling on one knee rather than bending over for feeding/scooping/etc. Big key is to avoid straining while bending as that can raise eye pressure.
For what it's worth, not sure if extra $$ for multifocal lenses was really worth it as I still find myself using readers for books/newspapers/menus especially in low light situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:29 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
Hey gtoman, I had a '67 Goat in my younger days. That was a nice car....especially the interior.

I think I may be headed for cataract surgery. But i'm a little leery of having sharp objects near my eyes.

Is there any pain involved in this procedure ??

How do they keep you from reflexively moving your head ??

Old 11-17-2017, 08:36 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Hey gtoman, I had a '67 Goat in my younger days. That was a nice car....especially the interior.

I think I may be headed for cataract surgery. But i'm a little leery of having sharp objects near my eyes.

I was sedated very well for my cataract surgeries. I had no awareness at all of what was going on. I was lying on the operating table seeing bright lights in my eyes and then next thing I knew I was up and dressed and out the door.

They did strap my head down before beginning.

No pain, just a bit of discomfort on the day of the surgery.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I was sedated very well for my cataract surgeries. I had no awareness at all of what was going on. I was lying on the operating table seeing bright lights in my eyes and then next thing I knew I was up and dressed and out the door.

They did strap my head down before beginning.

No pain, just a bit of discomfort on the day of the surgery.
I had had lasik before, where you have to be awake, but was so happy they let you sleep while they fixed your eyes. The lasik had been good for a few years, but it contributed to the fuzzies and I was ever so glad I didn't have to remember this one.

I had a small shot and got sleepy and when they were ready I sort of faded out. When I woke they were done. They did tell me the left eye had a far worse one, and would take longer to heal. It did, but a nick on a nerve left it unable to close the pupil. The cataract was larger and deeper than anticipated.

It's a problem with light, but I still see perfectly clearly. In comparison to the lasik, it was easy. And its not lessened either. If only it had been available before lasik and other treatments.

Just imagine, at 65 I have better vision than anytime before my early teens.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:10 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I had one eye done (cataract surgery) a year ago September. I went home alone and took care of my dog, no problem whatsoever. I lived alone.

You will just have a plastic cup-like thing over your one eye. You can still function otherwise perfectly. So, no worries.
Same for me except I didn't have anything covering my eye(s). My surgeries were about 5 years ago, 2 weeks apart. I am the absolute only person for my dog. Literally the second I got home (a neighbor drove me), I leashed my dog and took her to the apartment enclosed dog run. When she pooped, I bent over to pick it up.

No worries.

OP, it is not a crazy question. In my world, my dog comes first. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
My husband had both eyes done. I had no idea he couldn't bend or lift. I can tell you he did everything. I'm wondering if he was ever told to be careful, I'll ask him tomorrow.
He did not change his lifestyle at all. Both eyes were done and are fine. He's thrilled with the difference.
We have a dog and he always feeds her in the AM before work. He had to bend to get the bowls. He never told me he couldn't so I didn't offer help...I didn't know.
Maybe its not something to worry about.
Nobody told me not to bend, either. I can see not lifting, but the heaviest thing I lift is fabric to quilt, lol. But bending was not an issue and I was not told not to do it, that I recall.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:

You will have what's called "twilight" anesthesia. I knew absolutely nothing during the surgeries. With my first eye, I was good to go the minute I was out from under anesthesia. With the second eye, I felt a teensy bit of discomfort, much like there was a speck of dust in my eye. Not enough to rub, but just something you knew was there and would be gone shortly. No pain whatsoever.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Aren't you going to need to bend over to pick up his poop? I would probably hire a local student to walk the dog for a day or two after surgery. Good luck with the surgery.
Just bring a long handled pooper scooper with you to the dog park and on walks. Put the food/ water up on a bench or something like that. From everyone I know that had the surgery, moving your car should not be a problem if you are driving now, your vision will be better after the surgery. Even if your one eye is covered, you can remove the cover for a few minutes. Just don't touch or rub the eye. I wouldn't shovel snow though. You can probably call a service to shovel your walk if that should be necessary. Maybe check around now to find one that's affordable.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:57 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
Mi Bella--

I wish you hadn't mentioned that "teensy bit of discomfort" thing on the second one....he-he.

I was seeing an Opthamologist, but this Doctor didn't exactly fill me with confidence -- seemed more interested in filling up the Surgery Day. I am looking for another Doc now.

I have a problem with "floaters" in both eyes.....will cataract surgery remove those also ??

Old 11-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Mi Bella--

I wish you hadn't mentioned that "teensy bit of discomfort" thing on the second one....he-he.

I was seeing an Opthamologist, but this Doctor didn't exactly fill me with confidence -- seemed more interested in filling up the Surgery Day. I am looking for another Doc now.

I have a problem with "floaters" in both eyes.....will cataract surgery remove those also ??
Ohhhhhhhh, sorry. It wasn't pain. Please don't worry. It was the easiest and best procedure I've ever done for myself. Yes, I worried, too, before the first one. It was time wasted. You'll see.

I don't know about floaties.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:30 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
My wife went Xmas shopping after the surgery. She didn’t lift anything heavy. It was no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement