Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:30 PM

20,780 posts, read 20,083,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have not worn a swimsuit in years due to vanity (I know, I know -- at 63, it is way past time I get over it), but I am planning a California vacation and I would love to sun and swim at the pool and beach. I don't have a "terrible" body -- I'm a curvy size 6/8, but I have heavy, fatty thighs and "old" skin -- but I just can't get over the idea that I shouldn't subject myself or others to the sight of me more than half-naked.

So, how can I learn to "just get over myself" and the conceit that everyone will be looking at me, and say "the hell with it"? I know it shouldn't mater what anyone thinks, but I don't want to disgust anyone or subject myself to ridicule or disgusted looks.

(I thought of putting this in Fashion and Beauty, but I thought fellow oldsters might be more helpful and sympathetic.)
nobody expects a woman in her 60s to look like a model anymore.

California is not like it used to be - tons of fatty thighs on the beaches and often times they are half your age. So have them cover up first - yet they are the ones who seem to show the most skin.

Don't care so much, Mrs. whocares
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 03:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,224,534 times
OK, fine. Just, you go to "the women's" pool. But send hubby in his speedo out to our "men's" pool - the smaller one in back. I'd hold off until mid February. We're having a cloudy rainy cold winter here - no end in sight.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:36 PM

19,981 posts, read 30,357,125 times
have you been to a walmart lately?? its a regular lard factory

throw any caution you have to the wind and go

Old 01-12-2017, 03:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,314,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Here's the thing I've learned in my 65 years, no one is looking at you and no one cares. People are too wrapped up in themselves to even notice. Anyway, who cares what a stranger thinks.

Go out wear a bikini, have fun.
Yes.

I hate myself in a swimsuit too. But when we went to Hawaii, I brought one and wore it every morning at Waikiki. I do not regret it. No one was paying one bit of attention to me.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:51 PM

6,654 posts, read 7,135,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Here's the thing I've learned in my 65 years, no one is looking at you and no one cares. People are too wrapped up in themselves to even notice. Anyway, who cares what a stranger thinks.

Go out wear a bikini, have fun.

I agree but...... my 59 year old wife is hotter than she was went I met her. I wish she would wear a bikini. I know she would turn every man's head at any beach. I have seen it just wearing shorts. I have great peripheral vision and see men checking her out.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:32 PM

20,034 posts, read 9,571,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I agree but...... my 59 year old wife is hotter than she was went I met her. I wish she would wear a bikini. I know she would turn every man's head at any beach. I have seen it just wearing shorts. I have great peripheral vision and see men checking her out.
Awww -- that is just so sweet! Your wife is a lucky woman in more than one way!

Old 01-12-2017, 04:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,475,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have not worn a swimsuit in years due to vanity (I know, I know -- at 63, it is way past time I get over it), but I am planning a California vacation and I would love to sun and swim at the pool and beach. I don't have a "terrible" body -- I'm a curvy size 6/8, but I have heavy, fatty thighs and "old" skin -- but I just can't get over the idea that I shouldn't subject myself or others to the sight of me more than half-naked.

So, how can I learn to "just get over myself" and the conceit that everyone will be looking at me, and say "the hell with it"? I know it shouldn't mater what anyone thinks, but I don't want to disgust anyone or subject myself to ridicule or disgusted looks.

(I thought of putting this in Fashion and Beauty, but I thought fellow oldsters might be more helpful and sympathetic.)
The ocean here is not conducive to swim suits. At best, it's in the 60s down in San Diego, may pop 70 at times during the Summer. Anything north of about Orange County is in the 60s year round and north of Santa Barabara 50s year round. Wet suits are what any serious water men and water women wear here.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,475,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yep. Like some of you guys with hairy backs!

But, newsflash, we're not gonna cover up. Going out to the pool now in my bikini.

There's like a dozen workmen there too....

NO ONE CARES!!!!
Back at ya with my "homegrown rug!" - LOL!

Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,927,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yep. Like some of you guys with hairy backs!
Yeah but I look like I am wearing a Mohair sweater on the beach.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,452,372 times
Better to wear a swimsuit than go without.

When I was in Calif the ocean was never warm. I went to the beach once in 15 months that I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement