Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:42 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,172,511 times

Advertisements

I still want to find out exactly where the sexy girls are 8:1 in Peru. Brothel? Maternity ward?

I don't know about splurging on those meals though. Who has $10 to spare for someone else's meal? Make it $3, and I might move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 05:44 AM

30,415 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
Duuuude! Big mistake moving back Statside! You're a King in Peru amigo! Why mess up that lifestyle to return to a country filled with video cameras on every corner, obese women who act like men, horrible processed foods and a money-is-all mentality. You have been warned so don't come crying back to us when your life unravels in the UU.EE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah I was thinking something similar but OP isn't doing this for himself, he's doing it for his wife and his kids. And that's what good men do, sacrifice for their family.

I'm working in Peru and I talked to a guy originally from Canada yesterday and he's been living here for 24 years and married to Peruana. Now he suffers culture shock when he goes back to N. America....cold and aloof culture in comparison. The other thing, even though OP is in the nicest most expensive city in Peru, it's still much cheaper overall COL that any US city and you can go to fabulous restaurants at 1/2 or less the cost. It's going to be an adjustment for him.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:53 AM

24 posts, read 28,333 times
Less religion and wants a newer apartment complex??? try Cleveland Ohio

Old 05-15-2015, 09:36 AM

813 posts, read 1,134,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I still want to find out exactly where the sexy girls are 8:1 in Peru. Brothel? Maternity ward?

I don't know about splurging on those meals though. Who has $10 to spare for someone else's meal? Make it $3, and I might move there.
While it seems that way, 8:1 is a pretty wild exaggeration. When I first came here it was oft quoted at 3:1 in Lima. This is pretty normal as most girls come to the city when they are 17-18 for the opportunity and to look for a husband.

10 years ago it was easy to find a place to buy a girl lunch for $3, now not so much. The girls here have a famous saying, which roughly translates too : " What the mouth eats, the A$$ pay's for". So depending on the girls looks $10 can still be quite a bargain!

Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 AM

813 posts, read 1,134,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I was thinking something similar but OP isn't doing this for himself, he's doing it for his wife and his kids. And that's what good men do, sacrifice for their family.
I am glad you get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm working in Peru and I talked to a guy originally from Canada yesterday and he's been living here for 24 years and married to Peruana. Now he suffers culture shock when he goes back to N. America....cold and aloof culture in comparison. The other thing, even though OP is in the nicest most expensive city in Peru, it's still much cheaper overall COL that any US city and you can go to fabulous restaurants at 1/2 or less the cost. It's going to be an adjustment for him.
Don't put down your location, Arequipa is a lovely city as well! If it were not for the Pacific Ocean, I would probably live in the "White City" in the district of Cayma. As far as eating in the USA, we will probably eat at home most of the time as "Peruvian ingredients" are difficult to come by and the Culture of "Menu", does not exist there. Speaking of which it is almost lunch time and I am jonesing for some Rocoto Relleno, Adobo and a nice refreshing Queso helado!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I am glad you get it!

Don't put down your location, Arequipa is a lovely city as well! If it were not for the Pacific Ocean, I would probably live in the "White City" in the district of Cayma. As far as eating in the USA, we will probably eat at home most of the time as "Peruvian ingredients" are difficult to come by and the Culture of "Menu", does not exist there. Speaking of which it is almost lunch time and I am jonesing for some Rocoto Relleno, Adobo and a nice refreshing Queso helado!
Don't despair. While I have not the first idea of what most of it is, a quick search for "Peruvian Grocery" online landed many sites with mail order foods no doubt familiar to you and your family. We use similar sites for some of the Asian foods we enjoy preparing due to my travels. I enjoyed introducing my wife to them as I hope you enjoy introducing some American cuisine to yours. It ain't all hamburgers and hot dogs after all.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:52 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,025,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Don't despair. While I have not the first idea of what most of it is, a quick search for "Peruvian Grocery" online landed many sites with mail order foods no doubt familiar to you and your family. We use similar sites for some of the Asian foods we enjoy preparing due to my travels. I enjoyed introducing my wife to them as I hope you enjoy introducing some American cuisine to yours. It ain't all hamburgers and hot dogs after all.
Nope - we even have Spam.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 PM

30,415 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:
I am glad you get it!

I'm in Arequipa for work and live in Cayma district but yanahuara is also a very nice area to live. If I were retiring in Peru, I would have to pick between Miraflores & Arequipa.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:32 AM

16,102 posts, read 10,771,225 times
Quote:
My older sister lives in Santa Fe, but mostly travels around the western part of the country in her RV as she does not own a home. She is a senior and works PT in various National Parks in exchange for a few grand a month and a place to park.

That sounds like a pretty good arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement