Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,456,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I know about Al Roker as a result of his gastric bypass surgery - and loved Jon Bon Jovi when he appeared as Carrie's boyfriend in Sex and the City. They are both over 50 - not exactly "new news". Robyn
Robyn, I think that's actually why Al Roker came up in our poolside convo. We ladies may have been talking about people who kept weight off after gastric bypass surgery. I cannot imagine any other reason his name came up. Oyyy, I know, we're so superficial and unworthy of intelligent discourse.

Caladium, no, he's not new news and has been on the national scene with the Today show for a hundred years! Maybe the name Willard Scott would ring a bell...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 02:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,582,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's funny to read the comments about Al Roker. Yes, I get the point that was being made , that it's important to be able to discuss current events and people in the news. But as a side note, I think it's funny that Al Roker is still considered a current person in the news. I think of Al Roker as a person in the news during the 70s.

LOL, am I getting old or what? When I think of Al Roker, I remember when the Mary Tyler Moore show had a character called Gordy, and there were people who thought it was a dumb joke to have this character because a whitebread city like Minneapolis would never have a black guy who wasn't the sportscaster. Then a year later Al Roker gets the weatherman job in Albany. It seems like just yesterday we were standing around at work laughing about the significance in all this. To me that was one of those "quintessential moments of the 70s."
Al Roker isn't only a current person "in the news". He's still on the news - on TV (the Weather Channel and the Today Show IIRC). Robyn

Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM

739 posts, read 1,854,290 times
I read all the news on my computer. Most of us retirees have the time to become informed and are, I am happy to say, interested in the news on a large scale. That is what makes us a strong voting block. We know the issues and vote our feelings. It is too bad the younger generation doesn't have the interest or they would make the time. The things people don't know never ceases to shock me. One person, age 49, asked me what is the difference between the 'blue' states and the 'red' states. HOW CAN SHE NOT KNOW THAT?!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,456,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
I read all the news on my computer. Most of us retirees have the time to become informed and are, I am happy to say, interested in the news on a large scale. That is what makes us a strong voting block. We know the issues and vote our feelings. It is too bad the younger generation doesn't have the interest or they would make the time. The things people don't know never ceases to shock me. One person, age 49, asked me what is the difference between the 'blue' states and the 'red' states. HOW CAN SHE NOT KNOW THAT?!
OMG, that's pretty bad. I had a couple 30-ish friends who moved to CA when our company opened a new practice there. I went to visit them about a year or two later, right before election time. As we were driving around, one of the friends said to the other, what do all these signs mean -- "No on 18", "Yes on 6", etc. I could not believe that after all that time in CA, she had no idea what the signs meant or understanding of CA's proposition ballot process. Heck, I even knew about them and I lived 3000 miles away.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,906,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
OMG, that's pretty bad. I had a couple 30-ish friends who moved to CA when our company opened a new practice there. I went to visit them about a year or two later, right before election time. As we were driving around, one of the friends said to the other, what do all these signs mean -- "No on 18", "Yes on 6", etc. I could not believe that after all that time in CA, she had no idea what the signs meant or understanding of CA's proposition ballot process. Heck, I even knew about them and I lived 3000 miles away.
Your coworker was likely from the east or south, then, where many states don't have a ballot or initiative process.

Initiatives and referendums in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I felt the same way the first time I went to Florida and drove a highway that had huge billboards about every 20 feet - we have pretty strict billboard laws in most of the west, and I'd never seen so many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement