Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,551,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I I have no patience to sit their and listen to their teaser about a story coming in the next segment, so I can watch all the commercials. I can easily go to the internet and the get better news and weather quicker.
Those teasers are the pits, and they're a huge part of why I no longer watch TV news.

Quote:
There are few online newspapers that have quality that I enjoy, as The New York Times, The Christian Science Monitor and some features of USA Today but the local newspaper, forgetaboutit!
I long ago lost count of how many times the New York Times had to retract stories because the so called 'journalist' was a fiction-writer wanna be. I can't imagine anyone taking them seriously, as an objective or enlightening source of events. The Christian Science Monitor retains some credibility and is imo still worth reading. USA today, are you kidding me? Luckily, my local newspaper still retains some credibility.

Quote:
I do not even go to movies or buy DVD or watch modern talking moving pictures shows on the internet; I never rent movies. I have no interest in current movies.
This is just sad, on so many levels. It's got nothing to do with news stories and you're missing out on some great movies. Your loss.

Quote:
but I refuse to pay for any movies.
Again, you've made a valid choice in deciding that free=good, but at the same time you've cut yourself off from many great experiences.

Quote:
I have never bought an ebook. I read older books that are free and no longer of interest to these those who have more contemporary taste of the crowd mind.
wow, here you venture into la-la land. Again, I'll say that's your choice but it's indefensible as an ethical stand. Whether or not something is an "ebook", in addition to hardcover, has nothing to do with its merit. I'm tempted to start listing stellar books you might have missed (such as Unbroken) but since every reader is entitled to his/her own tastes, I'll just reiterate that it's la-la thinking to discount books based upon their age and format. Again, your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
When I first get up I fix a fresh cup of coffee go online and catch the current overnight news. Then I sit in the recliner and read the local newspaper for all the local news, events and activities that are going on around my area. Then I do the chores or whatever planned for that day. In the evening I watch the 6 and 10 pm news stations for local and national news. At bedtime I return to the internet and check the latest online news stories and post on CD.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,387,364 times
CBS, NBC and ABC have not been in my homes since 1984. They are much too slanted in their news and have not been trustworthy since the 1960s. I haven't taken a newspaper since the Baltimore Sun in the late 1980s because I found that newspaper news was much like reading about a tornado that took away your house the day before. I also haven't been to a movie theater in probably 35 years. The plots in new movies have become so politicized that one can tell how soon in the movie the actor will die and the degree of trauma they will suffer at their death. An example would be a male actor who mistreats a cat or a dog. He will surely die in the movie but a white male from Texas who runs over the same animal in a pickup truck with a gun rack will definitely end up feet first in a tree limb grinder. And all this is in a Walt Disney movie! For some reason new producers lack the ability to entertain audiences through artistic creativity anymore. Ed Rollins or James Carville could do as good a job.

I definitely watch much less television and avoid nearly all new movies. I do not have newspapers around unless I need bird cage liner. However, this all did not just occur at my retirement.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,221,802 times
When I was first retired I was also partially disabled and spent much of my time at home. Prior to this I hadn't watched much TV news, but the Bosnian War was in progress and I watched TV obsessively because of it. (I had the misfortune to have worked with someone whom I discovered to my true horror had returned to Serbia and was acting as a press relations mouthpiece for the government, and an apologist for detention camps.) However, I still often read the NY Times as I had before retirement. and I enjoy the Christian Science Monitor very much.

When I emigrated to Europe, at first I bought the Internation Herald Tribune every day, and it has folded into it a digest version of a foreign paper, in this case El Pais. And I watched about a half hour of English language news a day. I also watched CNN, if I lived in an area where it was carried. I read the local papers when I lived in Portugal and Cyprus. Reading the local newspaper really helped bring me to my decision to leave the country.

Now I have segued into phase 3, in which I watch one BBC newscast, and one Al Jazeera newscast a day, and I never watch CNN any more. But as both BBC and Al Jazeera tend to have great special programs, I usually end up following one or more of them as well. (I have become an avid user of the mute button so I miss the teasers and the adverts.) I read the Economist and follow a couple of Portuguese newscasts in desulatory fashion. I also follow up news stories on the Internet far more often than I used to. Because both the BBC and Al Jazeera spend as much time focusing on Africa, the Middle East and Asia as they do Europe and the U.S., I find that I am much better informed. I read the local Portuguese newspaper, and sometimes the local Brit one, which is something of a combinaton of one of those London rags and a smalltown gazette.

I very, very rarely watch films. What I do watch are DVD purchases of old Japanese films or some of the many European films I have missed. I would guess that I have not seen any film through that has been produced since 1990. I cannot remember when I was last in a movie theatre to see a film, perhaps the late 1970's.

I read a fair amount of history, archeology and biography, and much of this has been written within the last decade. Once a voracious fiction reader, that habit declined precipitiously in the 90's. However, I have begun to regularly read fiction again. I have decided to reread what I am accustomed to thinking of as my favorite books from the past to see what I think about them more than half a century later, e.g.The Immoralist by Gide, Famine by O'Flaherty. And I am catching up on some classics that I missed, e.g. Look Homeward Angel byWolfe, Studs Lonigan by Farrell. And a much smaller number of more current fiction, e.g. Helene Cixous and Will Self.

I listen to pop music quite a bit, but no U.S. music later than the 1980's, and very little white music produced in the 70s or 80s. All of my later music is Greek, Afro-Portuguese, Arabic and Brazilian.

My friends are mostly Germans, and some Portuguese and a few Brits, and with the first two, at least, there is discussion about the news, cultural events, books, etc.

Last edited by kevxu; 08-13-2012 at 03:34 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 AM

698 posts, read 1,052,917 times
i wish there were a local paper that i felt was worth reading. i was brought up with three newspapers in the house daily, and for many years as an adult, subscribed and looked forward to reading at least one daily. i don't read newspapers except occasionally online, but i miss the daily paper and for me, the online paper is not a real substitute.
unlike the years when i was working, i find i'm much more interested in politics than i ever was, and watch many of the largely political programs on msnbc and and pbs each day. i look forward to these and, i guess, they have, to some extent, taken the place of the daily paper.
i have always been a reader although i find most fiction not to my liking these days. i read a lot of biography and history- i especially like the period from mid nineteenth century through world war two. anything about the roosevelts-fdr and theodore- i usually read. i just re-read "franklin and winston- an intimate portriat of an epic friendship " by jon meacham. i just love this book for its many great insights into the temperament and psychology of these two men. i also love "game change", by heilman and helperin ( spelling? ), about the 2008 candidates and the primaries.
so, regarding newspapers, i miss them, but guess i have found substitutes in other forms .

catsy girl

Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,417,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Those teasers are the pits, and they're a huge part of why I no longer watch TV news.

I long ago lost count of how many times the New York Times had to retract stories because the so called 'journalist' was a fiction-writer wanna be. I can't imagine anyone taking them seriously, as an objective or enlightening source of events. The Christian Science Monitor retains some credibility and is imo still worth reading. USA today, are you kidding me? Luckily, my local newspaper still retains some credibility.

This is just sad, on so many levels. It's got nothing to do with news stories and you're missing out on some great movies. Your loss.

Again, you've made a valid choice in deciding that free=good, but at the same time you've cut yourself off from many great experiences.

wow, here you venture into la-la land. Again, I'll say that's your choice but it's indefensible as an ethical stand. Whether or not something is an "ebook", in addition to hardcover, has nothing to do with its merit. I'm tempted to start listing stellar books you might have missed (such as Unbroken) but since every reader is entitled to his/her own tastes, I'll just reiterate that it's la-la thinking to discount books based upon their age and format. Again, your loss.
The thread asked what I do, not to invite derision of one with less years of experience and understanding, who perhaps is too tight corseted to just laugh at some of my humor; and just lightly accept or reject a casual post on an inconsequential forum.

Those are my opinions, they do not have to be yours. I do not follow the crowd in media consumption. I do not need to be part of group think to define and validate who I am. I refuse to spend on media to make over hyped and over paid stars, media personalities and sports figures richer. I read what I enjoy, it does not have to be what you enjoy.

I am well educated, well read, and well aware; my many posts indicate those characteristics. I follow my own path and perhaps it is the path less trodden or forgotten but it my path to follow.

Livecontent

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
Quote:
The thread asked what I do, not to invite derision
Agree completely--there's no reason to be judgmental, especially over an issue as benign as this. When we start judging each other, then people don't feel comfortable answering a question honestly. And the purpose of asking this question was to get an honest answer.

Retirees can have many different ways of looking at life--and I, for one, enjoy that.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
The person who brought up local papers reminded me of another I'm reading more as I get older. In the last few years I've been much more interested in the community newspapers that feature local events, and what's going on in the lives of my neighbors. I've lost interest in the Washington Post, but read the Loudoun County Times Mirror from cover to cover.

For national news I like the Wall Street Journal, and otherwise I go online to a few internet sites I like.

Interesting remark about history books, and I hadn't thought about it before but it's interesting that I have indeed been reading quite a few more history books in the last few years.

Part of it is to get a reference point for news stories. I start wondering ho we got into such a pickle, or what happened the last time something happened, and the history books are interesting.

The other reason is that someone gave me a kindle and our local library doesn't have many free e-books yet. There's a waiting list for the novels, so I started reading the history books and found them extremely interesting. Now I'm kind of hooked on them. Right now I'm reading about how New York was founded and you know what--the same old baloney that goes on in the modern world was happening back then too.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,417,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The person who brought up local papers reminded me of another I'm reading more as I get older. In the last few years I've been much more interested in the community newspapers that feature local events, and what's going on in the lives of my neighbors. I've lost interest in the Washington Post, but read the Loudoun County Times Mirror from cover to cover.

For national news I like the Wall Street Journal, and otherwise I go online to a few internet sites I like.

Interesting remark about history books, and I hadn't thought about it before but it's interesting that I have indeed been reading quite a few more history books in the last few years.

Part of it is to get a reference point for news stories. I start wondering ho we got into such a pickle, or what happened the last time something happened, and the history books are interesting.

The other reason is that someone gave me a kindle and our local library doesn't have many free e-books yet. There's a waiting list for the novels, so I started reading the history books and found them extremely interesting. Now I'm kind of hooked on them. Right now I'm reading about how New York was founded and you know what--the same old baloney that goes on in the modern world was happening back then too.
Exactly, that is what I do more today and I never thought of it. I care less for national news but I have more interest in what is happening in my local community. I want to know about new parks and redevelopments. The news of the local amateur sport team seem to interest me, even when I say I hate sport--actually I hate all the monies of professional sports.

I also read more and more history of the west and the actual experience of the early settlers.

I follow closely local transportation issues and I want to know the local politics and the unsung people of that make my community better. As I have grown older and more mature, my interest have gone from the macro word to micro world of my local world. It is very interesting and I have not realized it and gave it much thought. Perhaps I am turning into a "local yokal".

Well, I am going out now to see and experience my world that I have more control and interest--My Town.

Livecontent

Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,529,103 times
Quote:
I follow closely local transportation issues and I want to know the local politics and the unsung people of that make my community better. As I have grown older and more mature, my interest have gone from the macro word to micro world of my local world. It is very interesting and I have not realized it and gave it much thought. Perhaps I am turning into a "local yokal".

Well, I am going out now to see and experience my world that I have more control and interest--My Town.

Livecontent
Very much like you. There's a small, free, local paper that comes out three or four times a week as well as a larger one we subscribe to that comes in the mail twice a week. The only big city (for this area) paper available for home delivery will deliver only the Sunday paper because we're so rural so it's not much use. The other two do an excellent job of keeping us abreast of what's happening around us.

We get most of our national/international news from television, mostly the more local station and PBS, and the rest we get online.

I still prefer the tactile "essence" of real newsprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement