Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 05:26 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I have lots of containers already. I have nearly 70 fruit trees, some are small like blueberries, some are big, some are espaliered against my wall. I have 100 plus roses, no space. But squash vines usually are very big. I can’t even grow pumpkin here.
well sorry. I think you need more real estate. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 06:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
well sorry. I think you need more real estate. LOL
I agree. Except where I’m thinking of moving into has very low walk score. My husband and I like to walk to the shops, plus that’s our exercise too. So we sort of stuck here.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:38 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Almost everything we've done since retiring fits into the 'new' category:

Travel - Considerable cruises and travel that we never had time for before
Golf - Started playing 2-3 times per week --- before, played about once per year (have since decided that golf may not be my primary retirement interest)
Reading - Over the years, I never really had time for much personal reading; -- Now read several books per month.
Boating/Fishing: Just joined a boat club and am learning to fish/boat. - never really had time (or ability to afford) before.
Grandkids: moved to be closer (same town vs 4-500 miles) ... and loving added time with them.
11-years into retirement; 8-years from the above 2012 post, I'm finding myself golfed-, boated/fished- and cruised-out. I still read quite a bit and wrote a book, plus the grandkids are amazing. But, overall, I've gotten a little sedentary and somewhat dis-interested in idle pursuits. Ministry is still a little active, but, after 30+-years of career/ministry, locking myself into someone else's regular schedule or agenda again is less appealing. Keeping my eyes open for the next 'thing' (as long as good health continues to allow).

Old 12-07-2019, 06:40 PM

43,141 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
My wife has always been a reliable but non-adventuress cook. Dinner was always good but limited to certain dishes she is comfortable with making. Since I retired, I've taken on some of the cooking chores, using recipes found online. Some have turned out mediocre at best. Some have been sensational. It's a work in progress.
You might enjoy a couples cooking class.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:48 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Bread-making. It's a constant mystery and challenge with the weird ingredients and weather here.

Not quite the same as my former hobbies of horseback-riding, hiking and rafting but I guess it will have to suffice in between travel.

More reading than ever.

Container gardening on the balcony. I can count 12 pea pods right this second!

And 25 butternut squashes.
Ha! I'm looking at a couple of inches of snow on top of my containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement