Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 01:24 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times

Advertisements

Like many others here-photography. Not just taking pics but also doing a little photoshop and creating videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqPwTpcaz54&t=4s

I also have been writing. I wrote two children's stories for my grandkids. Here are some of the pics I used in the book:

I also created another book for them called "Finding Yourself" which included my photos with their pics somewhere in there.

BTW: There are 9 in each pic if you want to find them:

Right now, I am working on my usual "Year in Review" videos for no one but me-in other words, they do not go on YouTube. I'm also working an adult book. I don't know what I will do with it when or even IF I finish it. I'm not writing it for anyone in particular-I just want to write it. With my children's books, I just made 25 copies at a local copy shop and gave them to the kids and other family members/friends. I just may do the same thing if I ever finish this one-or not. I'll cross that bridge if and when I get to it.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 01:51 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
2019 was busy for me. I have taken up Archery, and I have 2 bows/arrows and my own target so I can take someone with me to the Archery Range.
I have taken up Ice Skating at 60. I've only fallen twice lightly, and I have taken lessons this year.
I took up Kayaking at a couple of nearby lakes.
I took Knit and Crochet classes.
I took a jewelry making course too. I own 1000s of earrings, most collected on my travels.
I have taken Deep Water Running classes at the County Pool.
But the best thing of all is that this summer I took a Nurse Refresher course which was tuition free for people age 60 and up. Now I have a new career and a job.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I'm still motorcycling but that is going to have to come to a halt one of these years. Both playing the piano and needlework have become difficult due to some changes in dexterity and eyesight. I really miss those two.

I continue to research circus and sideshow history and the field is booming. I've made some very interesting online connections doing this.

I've been learning how to make my own jewelry and some new baking techniques I always wanted to try but never had the right equipment or the time.

This last winter while snowed in I started learning various techniques of fingernail art and have had so much fun and so many compliments that I'm still learning a couple new ones a month.

This fall I joined a warm water exercise class.

On my list to try - I think it might be fun to play a theramin. Who knows, it might happen?

Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
2019 was busy for me. I have taken up Archery, and I have 2 bows/arrows and my own target so I can take someone with me to the Archery Range.
I have taken up Ice Skating at 60. I've only fallen twice lightly, and I have taken lessons this year.
I took up Kayaking at a couple of nearby lakes.
I took Knit and Crochet classes.
I took a jewelry making course too. I own 1000s of earrings, most collected on my travels.
I have taken Deep Water Running classes at the County Pool.
But the best thing of all is that this summer I took a Nurse Refresher course which was tuition free for people age 60 and up. Now I have a new career and a job.
When I first retired, I took archery at a local county park. Really liked it.

I ended up getting a job offer and went to work part-time. Would still not mind doing archery some more.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:52 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Studying family history -- it's fascinating to make discoveries on Ancestry.com
or from FB geneology groups.

I've traced both sides of the family back to the 1700s.

I only wish I'd started this long ago, while my parents were still around.
It would've been fun to share my discoveries, plus they could've answered
some of the questions that now will remain mysteries...

Old 12-06-2019, 10:43 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Bread-making. It's a constant mystery and challenge with the weird ingredients and weather here.

Not quite the same as my former hobbies of horseback-riding, hiking and rafting but I guess it will have to suffice in between travel.

More reading than ever.

Container gardening on the balcony. I can count 12 pea pods right this second!

And 25 butternut squashes.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:13 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Wow, that many butternut squashes. I can’t even grow them here, they are too big for my yard.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:18 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Wow, that many butternut squashes. I can’t even grow them here, they are too big for my yard.
ever consider container growing? you live in SoCal

Old 12-06-2019, 11:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
ever consider container growing? you live in SoCal
I have lots of containers already. I have nearly 70 fruit trees, some are small like blueberries, some are big, some are espaliered against my wall. I have 100 plus roses, no space. But squash vines usually are very big. I can’t even grow pumpkin here.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:09 AM

586 posts, read 314,290 times
My wife has always been a reliable but non-adventuress cook. Dinner was always good but limited to certain dishes she is comfortable with making. Since I retired, I've taken on some of the cooking chores, using recipes found online. Some have turned out mediocre at best. Some have been sensational. It's a work in progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement