Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 11:53 PM

1,159 posts, read 972,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Ok forget the sex part. It's kind of hard to comprehend people being together for 10, 20, 30 years and breaking it off. I would think people would find out they didn't want to be together sooner. Especially getting to 50 and over.
It's kind of hard to comprehend to those of us it happens to, as well. If you get along well and seemingly all is well with the marriage, then being told that you will be getting a divorce feels like getting hit by a truck.

My children have had a very hard time comprehending what happened. I can't really help them out with an explanation, since I never got a coherent one from my then-husband.

It's a "twilight zone" kind of experience, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 07:03 AM

505 posts, read 719,247 times
Quote:
Ok forget the sex part. It's kind of hard to comprehend people being together for 10, 20, 30 years and breaking it off. I would think people would find out they didn't want to be together sooner. Especially getting to 50 and over.
The simple answer to me is people change. Also, I think for people who raised kids(I didn't) while they are at home they can be a big distraction and when they leave you realize you are with a stranger...at least that is what several people have told me.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:38 AM

3,271 posts, read 5,042,057 times
A man who is a close family member described his situation to me. He and his wife had married immediately after college graduation, and both had gone into teaching. They led busy lives, and raised two children. Their relationship was always difficult, probably because both had very strong personalities.

When it came time to retire, they went looking for a retirement house to move to. It was at that point he realized he and his wife no longer had the distraction of careers and kids to buffer their relationship. He saw a bleak future, so he decided he wanted a divorce. He said he felt he had a right to be happy.

She was blindsided, she said, and bitter, and made the divorce proceedings as difficult as she could. She turned their grown daughter against him, to the extent that the daughter stopped speaking to him and refused to invite him to her wedding. Their grown son was much more reasonable, and maintained a relationship with both parents.

Despite all the bitterness, my family member maintained that the divorce was the best thing he could have done. He led a happy life, eventually remarrying (a woman with a much more pleasant personality), and also eventually reconciling with his daughter.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:25 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,686,108 times
Quote:
It takes time to come to the realization that "this problem will never be resolved". It takes time for that to even be true, because how do you know until you try?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:14 AM

16,302 posts, read 7,227,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It takes time to come to the realization that "this problem will never be resolved". It takes time for that to even be true, because how do you know until you try?
True

Old 12-24-2015, 11:22 AM

16,302 posts, read 7,227,565 times
Does it appear as though as though it is usually men who suddenly realize they need a divorce? Women may sense the sickness in the marriage and want to talk about, get counseling, try something else before talking divorce?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:43 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,363,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Does it appear as though as though it is usually men who suddenly realize they need a divorce? Women may sense the sickness in the marriage and want to talk about, get counseling, try something else before talking divorce?
Or maybe women are more concerned what people will say if she files for divorce if it isn't for adultery or abuse.

Just because she can't stand the XYZ, might not cut it.

But it does for me - lol. Sometimes things just get to be so irritating that you just want to get away from it as soon as possible.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:55 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,155,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
What I was curious about is how many couples that are still married after 30 plus years are STILL happy with each other? I do have one classmate on Facebook who very, very seldom says anything about her husband that she's been marred to since the mid 70's. My wife's sister's marriage has been pretty non-existent for the last 10 yrs and they've been married over 40 yrs. Sometimes it's just never really known how good or bad the marriage is, even with couples that have been married for years and years!
My husband and I have been married for 47 years and we still like each other. Though we both have numerous illnesses. And that does affect the relationship to a degree. For instance I am in constant pain and it makes me grouchy. He is sometimes in pain and always exhausted, [as am I] Makes him angry and grumpy.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,628,402 times
Married people can want to no longer be in the marriage at any time. One may no longer love the other or there are a myriad of reasons.

I've so often heard people say they cannot understand how a couple can divorce after 15 or 25 or 30 or 40 years. But it is not inexplicable at all.

Saying wouldn't you have known sooner that you do not want to be together is not recognizing that people fall out of love, feel miserable or not appreciated, or they change in what they want out of life, or the feelings are dead and the relationship seems empty. Or the communication is poor and they feel lonely in the marriage. Or they meet someone else.

People can change all the time, and certainly change over the course of decades. There really is not the security in marriage that once existed before divorce became more accepted, leading to around 47 to 50 percent of marriages ending in divorce.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-24-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-24-2015, 02:03 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,142,440 times
Said I would not answer this, but here I am.

I decided it was time to divorce him when he wanted to live with me (both of us worked f.t. jobs) Monday through Friday as brother/sister. On the weekends he wanted to be with his lover. He did marry her after the divorce. Not long after, she divorced him and he married another.

He could not understand (I don't think he does yet) why I didn't want to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement