Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 05:27 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,639,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I kind of get what you are saying.

My husband and I should never have married and 24 years of working it out didn't - divorce at age 55. It was a constant struggle and I felt such a relief to be free and independent when we divorced. It is really a truly sad thing when your grown children say they wish you had gotten divorced early on, it would have been better for everyone.

So good intentions and decent people don't always lead to a good marriage no matter how much you try. I do not regret the divorce and can't regret that we married since that produced two wonderful children.

So best to you and hope for your best.

Are you and your ex civil to each other and able to socialize at events with your children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 06:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,503,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
these "quirks" of yours that grate on her and create reactionary outbursts = i think you have done the important first step as to what it is you do that causes disruption in your lives. don't use a passive voice, and see how it sounds when you put an "I" in your sentence and spell out what you do. it is not just about perspectives, hers, it is what you DO.
and you are also saying you see her as uptight, neurotic etc. labeling rarely helps anything. it only aggravates it.
They are quirks due to brain wiring. Think of them like tics. These are not things to be willed away. Awareness can't make them go away, at best temporary and sporadic work arounds are as good as it gets. There is a concept known as neurodiversity. Some people tolerate such diversity and some are bigots. I'm married to a bigot.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:35 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,358,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Are you and your ex civil to each other and able to socialize at events with your children?

yes but it isn't easy.

I try to be neutral or positive when speaking about him to the children, which is rare. I try to keep things politely sociable when we have to be at childrens' events since that isn't his strong suit. Mostly to ease his discomfort.

for his part according to my daughter he speaks respectfully of me when they talk. and when we meet at social situations he makes an effort to engage which for him is work. He would rather sit by the TV and zone out in his private world.

He is trying to make things up to his children in whatever ways he can and my kids are forgiving him a little at a time.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 AM

16,306 posts, read 7,227,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
They are quirks due to brain wiring. Think of them like tics. These are not things to be willed away. Awareness can't make them go away, at best temporary and sporadic work arounds are as good as it gets. There is a concept known as neurodiversity. Some people tolerate such diversity and some are bigots. I'm married to a bigot.
sorry about this brain wiring you are talking about. does medication work?
i had to look up neurodiversity, never heard of it before. here is something interesting Neurodiversity: Just Say No

Labeling does not help anything, you should try not to do that and instead describe the action, not the person.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:05 PM

135 posts, read 271,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

So good intentions and decent people don't always lead to a good marriage no matter how much you try. I do not regret the divorce and can't regret that we married since that produced two wonderful children.
Last night I told my husband I'm leaving after Christmas. There was no yelling, no recriminations, just sadness. We are having a 3-month trial separation; we'll catch up once per week during that time. We'll see where we are at 3 months down the road. I'm not very hopeful - it's hard to maintain a good marriage let alone a struggling one from 8,000 miles apart. We have 4 beloved, capable young adult children - in fact I surprised myself last night, I thought I'd be a wet rag (I'm a cryer) and no tears until the subject of my kids came up. My husband said something very telling - "I guess what we had in common grew up." I would do it all again for those kids.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:51 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,639,109 times
Good luck to both of you.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmom View Post
Last night I told my husband I'm leaving after Christmas. There was no yelling, no recriminations, just sadness. We are having a 3-month trial separation; we'll catch up once per week during that time. We'll see where we are at 3 months down the road. I'm not very hopeful - it's hard to maintain a good marriage let alone a struggling one from 8,000 miles apart. We have 4 beloved, capable young adult children - in fact I surprised myself last night, I thought I'd be a wet rag (I'm a cryer) and no tears until the subject of my kids came up. My husband said something very telling - "I guess what we had in common grew up." I would do it all again for those kids.
Good luck to both of you. I hope the 3 month separation works so you can find your way back to your family.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:43 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,363,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmom View Post
Sounds like y'all were great parents. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:01 AM

977 posts, read 1,114,286 times
I was divorced 12 years ago after 33 years of marriage and 37 years together. I loved him a lot. He decided he no longer loved me and instead preferred my friend (who became an ex-friend). 2 marriages broken. Adult children late 20's early 30's at the time. No matter how old they are it still hurts them. I lost absolutely everything, the man I loved and respected and trusted, my home, my family (his extended family was off limits and I had very little of my own), my church (I couldn't bear to see him), my friends (so many don't know what to do, don't want to hurt anyone so they just disappear), my identity, my confidence, my stability, my income (I was ill for some time and have not been able to work), even my avocations (he took over the community theater that I was so active in and his new wife was involved).....We had not had much while young, had taken us a long time to reach our financial stability ( and, yes, I worked and made contributions/decisions, too) but now I am alone, at poverty level and scared.... I did not want a divorce, was willing to change, to go to counseling, whatever it took. Sometimes you have no choice. I did not say bad things about him, even though he hurt me so much, because he was and is basically a decent man. I didn't want our kids to have to take sides, although they did to some extent. No one expected it, I was shocked, our friends stunned. My parents and his were all dead by then and I had rec'd an inheritance a year before, otherwise I would not have the house I do now. I tried to date a little after the divorce but that didn't go well. And it's hard to trust. I have grown in many ways---was forced to! I moved cross country by myself a few years ago, knowing no one in my new location. I still get lonely, feel some resentment occasionally because of not being able to see my kids as much as I would had we remained together or because I will have a retirement income of $800 a mo while they have 3 houses and at least 3 times that amount.... I just wish I had a do-over sometimes. But I keep going and try to tell myself that no one knows what the future holds. I do love my dogs!!! There are some positive things about being alone, about being able to order your life to suit yourself, but I loved being married, was happy, had a full life......all gone. I get more down at this time of year, the holidays are hard. Catch me at another time and I'll be more positive!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I was divorced 12 years ago after 33 years of marriage and 37 years together. I loved him a lot. He decided he no longer loved me and instead preferred my friend (who became an ex-friend). 2 marriages broken. Adult children late 20's early 30's at the time. No matter how old they are it still hurts them. I lost absolutely everything, the man I loved and respected and trusted, my home, my family (his extended family was off limits and I had very little of my own), my church (I couldn't bear to see him), my friends (so many don't know what to do, don't want to hurt anyone so they just disappear), my identity, my confidence, my stability, my income (I was ill for some time and have not been able to work), even my avocations (he took over the community theater that I was so active in and his new wife was involved).....We had not had much while young, had taken us a long time to reach our financial stability ( and, yes, I worked and made contributions/decisions, too) but now I am alone, at poverty level and scared.... I did not want a divorce, was willing to change, to go to counseling, whatever it took. Sometimes you have no choice. I did not say bad things about him, even though he hurt me so much, because he was and is basically a decent man. I didn't want our kids to have to take sides, although they did to some extent. No one expected it, I was shocked, our friends stunned. My parents and his were all dead by then and I had rec'd an inheritance a year before, otherwise I would not have the house I do now. I tried to date a little after the divorce but that didn't go well. And it's hard to trust. I have grown in many ways---was forced to! I moved cross country by myself a few years ago, knowing no one in my new location. I still get lonely, feel some resentment occasionally because of not being able to see my kids as much as I would had we remained together or because I will have a retirement income of $800 a mo while they have 3 houses and at least 3 times that amount.... I just wish I had a do-over sometimes. But I keep going and try to tell myself that no one knows what the future holds. I do love my dogs!!! There are some positive things about being alone, about being able to order your life to suit yourself, but I loved being married, was happy, had a full life......all gone. I get more down at this time of year, the holidays are hard. Catch me at another time and I'll be more positive!
wow, that is tough. count your blessings and try and be active and let your resentments go. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement